ATEM Television Studio HD audio mixing setup problems

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Daz Wood

ATEM Television Studio HD audio mixing setup problems

PostWed Jul 18, 2018 10:21 pm

Yesterday we got our ATEM Television Studio HD and today we have been trying to set it up ready to do some live streaming shows in a couple of week.

I have two cameras which are HDMI out and then converted into SDI (40m cables) and plugged into the ATEM Television Studio HD. Picture is working great but the problem I am facing is trying to get the sound to mix centre for each channel of audio on the ATEM Television Studio HD.

I am using the software mixer controlled by a laptop but it seems it is lacking the ability to mix microphones/mono sources in a usable way. Each camera needs to have two Lav microphones plugged into them so we can do live interviews with up to 4 people being mic'ed up, but each camera's audio is being ganged together to a stereo pair, thats one fader per two channels of audio (left and right). I can not find a way to split them a[part and have them panned centre. I am wondering if I am missing a setting or is it that the mixer hasn't been designed properly for working this way.

Why is there a Pan control on the mixer if it does not pan the signal in a usable way. If I only feed one microphone per camera (input 1) into the ATEM Television Studio HD I get the signal on the left hand side of the stereo mix, the pan control will not correct this as its expecting a stereo signal which will not need panning 99% of the time.

My conclusion is that the ATEM Television Studio HD is not suitable for audio mixing if it is being send a mono feed. So unless I am able to do the mixing externally on an audio mixer before it is plugged into my cameras and then feed as a stereo signal, the ATEM Television Studio HD audio mixer isn't usable. I am really hoping I am missing a very important setting. If anyone can help me out with this it would be fantastic and would be very much appreciated.

Also please let me know how you are using your ATEM Television Studio HD for audio.
Thank you

Daz
Davinci Resolve Studio Version
ASUS Strix GL702ZC 17" laptop. AMD Ryzen 7 1700 (Desktop CPU), 32GB DDR4, Storage 256GB M.2 SSD, 2TB SSD, 4GB RX 580, Win10

Robert Andriessen

Re: ATEM Television Studio HD audio mixing setup problems

PostMon Jul 30, 2018 11:31 am

I think you'd need to get a separate sound mixing panel, and feed that into the xlr inputs of the ATEM

Daz Wood

Re: ATEM Television Studio HD audio mixing setup problems

PostTue Jul 31, 2018 7:18 pm

Robert Andriessen wrote:I think you'd need to get a separate sound mixing panel, and feed that into the xlr inputs of the ATEM

Yes we have done that now. It's such a shame as it is quite a nice box, small, compact. We are 40 meters away from camers so having to run 4 extra XLR cables into a mixer when the 4 mics could have easily been plugged into 2 camers and sent along the cameras cables to be mixed on a laptop is disappointing, if only the channels could split to dual monos There's also the problem with audio being out of synchronisation with the picture using a mixer plugged into the Atem XLRs, so using delay lines is also a must and more kit. What initially seems like a great compact solution for the price soon starts to get bigger in cost and devices to make it work. Apart from all of that it mixes the pictures very well.
Thank you

Daz
Davinci Resolve Studio Version
ASUS Strix GL702ZC 17" laptop. AMD Ryzen 7 1700 (Desktop CPU), 32GB DDR4, Storage 256GB M.2 SSD, 2TB SSD, 4GB RX 580, Win10

Return to Live Production