Internal Tally Light System

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author
andrew.litogot

Internal Tally Light System

PostMon Oct 08, 2018 6:27 pm

Ok, so I want to use the internal BlackMagic Tally light system that's built into the SDI Inputs... I'm running 2K Studio Cameras and an ATEM 1 M/E. I have my AUX ports set to "Program" and are sent to the camera's SDI Inputs. When I push program on the camera I see whatever is being sent on the program channel, but the tally lights do not trigger when I switch the camera to Program. I've read the paragragh in the menu several times... with no luck... Anybody have any suggestions?

Logan Bartley

Re: Internal Tally Light System

PostMon Oct 08, 2018 7:58 pm

I was trying to get my tally lights to work, and found that they work with standard set to 1080i/59.9 but would not work when set to 1080P/59.9. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the higher video rate doesn't have room to include the talkback or signalling portion in the data stream.

Asgeir Hustad

PostTue Oct 09, 2018 1:08 pm

Have you set the correct camera number in the camera settings? If not, return video will still work, but color settings and tally will have no effect.

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Oct 09, 2018 4:52 pm

Hello Andrew. Make sure each Camera Number setting found in the Studio Menu (headphone icon) in the camera setup matches the physical BNC input number on the ATEM. Each camera should be unique of course. Tally will work at any ATEM and camera supported resolution and rate. For example you may wish to connect your Camera #1 to input 2 preserving the HDMI input on the ATEM. You would call this camera #1 for your studio, but since it is connected to input #2, the Camera number in the menu must be set to "2". I hope this helps.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Logan Bartley

PostTue Oct 09, 2018 8:00 pm

Gary, you said, "Tally will work at any ATEM and camera supported resolution and rate." I was not able to get tally to work on my setup (ATEM Television Studio Pro HD with Blackmagic Studio Camera) when set to 1080p/59.9, but would work at 1080i/59.9 (the camera successfully transmits picture to the ATEM and displays fine on screen, but the camera does not show a picture when it is set to display the external input source, and likewise, the talley wouldn't work either. This camera is connected to the ATEM switcher with a new Markertek, 50ft. HD/SDI Dual BNC 3D Camera Snake Cable. Any ideas why the tally works when standards is set to interlaced and not progressive scan? The ATEM is new (bought in July this year) but the studio camera is about 3 years old, (pre 4k version).

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Oct 09, 2018 8:28 pm

Hello Logan. While I cannot be positively sure, the problem may be the cable at that length. You may need to check the cable specifications for this. To test this use a shorter cable under the same conditions. I have the same equipment as you and it works correctly. If you still have a problem, maybe contacting Support might help.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Return to Live Production