Patching phone into camera converter for wireless intercom

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Bryanf

Patching phone into camera converter for wireless intercom

PostThu Nov 15, 2018 3:05 am

I just thought I'd post that I've just successfully tested this.
I wanted to be able to communicate with my roving camera operator when everyone else was on fiber intercoms using the camera converter and studio converter fiber setup.
Here's a pic of the wiring.
I just called a friend and had a perfectly clear conversation with him using the headset on the studio converter base station.

CC to phone2.jpg
CC to phone2.jpg (283.07 KiB) Viewed 775 times

Here's a more detailed description of the wiring.
Coming out of the phone I used a 4 pole 3.5 mm extension lead.
plugged into the end of that I used a regular 3 pole 3.5 mm to 2 RCA lead.
on the white side of the RCA lead which is the headphone out of the phone I then reconverted this into a 3.5 mm 3 pole Jack and plugged it into the microphone in of the camera converter.
On the red side of the RCA lead coming out of the phone (phone microphone) I then converted it back to 3.5 mm 3 pole and plugged it into the headphone side of the camera converter.
On both of the above RCA plugs coming out of the phone I ran them through a ground loop isolator (as shown in the pictures)

I only got it to work when I plugged the 3 pole lead into a 4 pole extension coming out of the phone and I don't understand why.

Anyway, you can do the same thing with a CB radio too, but the issue I had with a CB radio is that it will only send or receive and I couldn't get the voice activated sensitivity set right so I had to manually choose whether to send intercom to the CB channel where if you do it using a phone you can just leave everyone live the whole time.

Anyway I know that this issue has been brought up a few times on this forum and invariably people suggest a very expensive clear com interface. but this is pretty good.
I already owned all of the leads and the connectors, plus the ground loop isolator. but if you bought them all on eBay you could probably get the whole lot for about $25 USD.
I did actually get it to work successfully once and made a phone call without the ground loop isolator but then I couldn't make it work again without squealing in my ear.
So you might get away without the ground loop isolator or you might not.
and I know there are lots of people on this forum trying to do creative things on a budget so this is my helpful suggestion.

Bryanf

Re: Patching phone into camera converter for wireless interc

PostThu Nov 15, 2018 3:13 am

Obviously once you've done this you then need to call your roving cameraman from the phone that is plugged into the camera converter.
I'm planning on men getting the roving cameraman to use a regular headset, but mute the microphone back to me, unless he wants to talk in which case he can unmute it using the touchscreen on his phone.

Xtreemtec

PostThu Nov 15, 2018 2:06 pm

Hi Bryan,
That looks like a familiar fiber converter haha :P

Great sollution to the problem.. But how is the delay on the phonecall?
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

MambaFiber.com

PostThu Nov 15, 2018 4:18 pm

that's a good solution...for one crew member. we rather prefer lots of people untethered lately. try tying something like discord, or mumble into your wired intercom. game changer...
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Andrew Martin

PostSat Nov 17, 2018 8:28 pm

Instead of relying on a regular phone call, Look at using the zello voip App.
It'll use ur data and not ur talktime, has an ability to conference or works 1to1
you can freely create talk groups and simultaneously partake in multiple groups at any time.

It's a great app that we use, where we've created many different talk groups for differing aspects of
both production and life in general, and its not only a phone app there are 2way radios
that operate with it also.

Return to Live Production