Adding ISO recordings to ATEM TV Studio HD

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

312elements

Adding ISO recordings to ATEM TV Studio HD

PostMon Nov 19, 2018 7:19 pm

I'm asking here because there seems to be a lot of conflicting information online. I produce a live 4 camera series with an ATEM. We originally took the program out into a web presenter, but later moved to an Elgato Camlink. That's the current workflow. I would like to be able to record each camera separately to repurpose the content later.

It seems like the best solution to this problem is to just buy an Apollo, but before leaving the BMD ecosystem I wanted to see if there was a workflow that made sense. There seem to be a lot of PCIE options, and I've got an 8 lane slot open, but I really don't understand the offerings. I think I've finally wrapped my head around the capabilities of 3G/6G/12G SdI.

For example, with a decklink quad 2, could i bring 4 cameras (1080p 24) into the decklink and then back out of the decklink into the ATEM while recording all 4 cameras straight to the computer? That seems like the most affordable option if it were to work. My understanding is that the SDI out for each camera on ATEM is not a passthrough of the signal. Would I be better off splitting the SDI at the HDMI to SDI converter and sending a unique line to the decklink and the ATEM? is there a signal loss when doing so?

Finally, and I realize this is a pipe dream, but is there a product that would allow me to send 4K out of the camera to the computer and back out in a 1080P signal that the ATEM could receive? I realize that if this were possible, the computer would become the bottleneck in the system. Creating/writing four 4K ISO's would put some strain on the system.

Thanks in advance. I'm open to alternative solutions as well. Working on Mojave on a Mac Pro if that influences your recommendation at all.
Michael Schacht
Currently using ATEM Television Studio HD to create awesome content

312elements

Re: Adding ISO recordings to ATEM TV Studio HD

PostMon Nov 19, 2018 7:28 pm

I think I'm starting to see why I was getting confused. Is it the BMD software that would prevent me from recording multiple ISO files? The hardware can do it? It would appear that if that's the case the VMIX 4K license would allow me to record the ISO's via Multicorder? What's the Mac alternative to vMIX?
Michael Schacht

Xtreemtec

PostMon Nov 19, 2018 8:03 pm

Take a look at this topic.. All your awnsers are in there. ;)
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=82055
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

312elements

PostMon Nov 19, 2018 8:12 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Take a look at this topic.. All your awnsers are in there. ;)
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=82055

thanks for the reply. I did see that post and many of the answers are there.

allow me to get to the point...

I can't use the SDI outs for the cameras on the ATEM to record video correct?

Can I split the SDI from the camera to both an ATEM and a decklink? Is it better to go to the decklink and out to the ATEM?

Can 4 HD ISO's be recorded on one machine using appropriate software, or realistically will each of those tasks need to be assigned to a separate machine. (6 core i7, 32GB ram, rx580)

Finally, am I asking for trouble. Is there a better way to record 4 cameras and produce a switched live show?
Michael Schacht

Jack Fairley

PostMon Nov 19, 2018 9:02 pm

312elements wrote:I can't use the SDI outs for the cameras on the ATEM to record video correct?

They are all program feeds.
Can I split the SDI from the camera to both an ATEM and a decklink? Is it better to go to the decklink and out to the ATEM?

Can 4 HD ISO's be recorded on one machine using appropriate software, or realistically will each of those tasks need to be assigned to a separate machine. (6 core i7, 32GB ram, rx580)

Finally, am I asking for trouble. Is there a better way to record 4 cameras and produce a switched live show?

I advise you to use disk recorders like the HyperDeck line instead of recording on PC with a capture card.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Return to Live Production