Lost software control of ATEM 2

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

nhtech

Lost software control of ATEM 2

PostSun May 26, 2013 1:22 am

This also happened to the ATEM TV a week ago, but after a restart is was fine. Restart does not fix the ATEM 2 issue.

I am still running ver. 3.5 of ATEM software, since we installed everything, panel, switcher, router, etc., we have not had a problem. We are using mac mini's, newest models, for secondary software control and to title inputs and load media. I lost all software control to the ATEM 2 switcher, however, the ATEM 2 panel works with no problems. I have tried to restart both the switcher and panel and all computers. I have tried to change IP addresses with the ATEM utility, I have basically tried everything I can think of, but still have no software control of the ATEM 2 switcher. I tried to load the ATEM 3.5 software on a macbook air, and a different mac mini, both have the same problem, after the software starts and asks for the ip address of the switcher, it goes to the software panel and stays greyed out, no control, no error, nothing.

Blackmagic engineers please help!!.
ATEM2 Switcher
ATEM2 Panel
ATEM Tally
SmartView
Smartscope Duo
ATEM TV
Hyperdeck Studio Pro
Intensity Extreme
Ultradeck Studio Thunderbolt
Ultradeck 3d
Broadcast Router
Video Hub Master Control
Video Hub Smart Control
H.264 Recorder
BMD UDC
BMD SyncGen

Hakan Taube Lyxzen

Re: Lost software control of ATEM 2

PostSun May 26, 2013 8:15 am

Hi.

Have you tried to connect 1 computer directly to your Atem to find out if the problem are within your own net.
Could be a faulty router or switch.

Good luck, Hakan
Hakan Taube Lyxzen
prostreaming.se

Liam Kennedy

PostSun May 26, 2013 4:12 pm

It's definitely a basic mismatch between how your network is configured and how the ATEM is configured. If the panel can connect.. then there is no reason your other PC's cannot connect.

Time to do some <very basic> LAN trouble-shooting.

Please verify the following (and post the information back here).

Look at the configuration of the MAC's on your LAN.

What is the IP address / Subnet / Gateway (just list the settings for any of them).

What is the IP / Subnet / GW for your ATEM 2

Same for your panel.

Can you Ping your TVS from the MAC (I would guess NO).

How are your MAC's connected to your LAN? Do you have both a wired and wireless connection active at the same time on the MAC's (it has happened - more than once)?
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

nhtech

PostMon Jun 03, 2013 10:36 pm

So to be clear on the network side.

Our network assigns IP addresses to all units based on MACid's so each computer/peripheral gets the same ip address whenever it connects.

Switcher IP *.*.*.121
Panel IP *.*.*.122
Control Computer Primary *.*.*.123
Control Computer Secondary *.*.*.124

we have a mac mini and a backup macbook pro to handle software functions.
the mac mini is also connected directly to the switcher via the USB cable.

The freeze up happened Once and only once so far, what we suspect is that the unit overheated, although after several months of using it always on and in the same room conditions we can't understand why.

we have not been able to replicate this problem, so we are chocking it up to simply that, overheat, we shut it down to let it cool and brought it back up and it's been working fine since.
ATEM2 Switcher
ATEM2 Panel
ATEM Tally
SmartView
Smartscope Duo
ATEM TV
Hyperdeck Studio Pro
Intensity Extreme
Ultradeck Studio Thunderbolt
Ultradeck 3d
Broadcast Router
Video Hub Master Control
Video Hub Smart Control
H.264 Recorder
BMD UDC
BMD SyncGen

Liam Kennedy

PostMon Jun 03, 2013 11:38 pm

Overheat is definitely something reported by more than one user to cause the ATEM's LAN port to fail. But what you described is how your panel could still access the ATEM while your other control computers could not. That's what seemed to me to not add up. Are you now saying the system does actually completely fail?

You also only provided detail on the IP addresses... not the subnet/gateway. Those aspects of the setup can also mess with the settings if there is anything wrong.

However... the fact that you have MAC-level configuration of IP address/settings would possiblly indicate an issue with your router that is doing that. If it were me... I would rule out issues with that aspect as well. Possibly by removing the MAC auto config and setting things up manually on each device.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Richard Courtney

PostTue Jun 04, 2013 2:25 pm

May be related. the ATEMs only support a certain number of simultaneous connections. (I think 5)
This includes tally boxes, control panel, software control panel (including multiple instances),
custom software (includes QT apps, JustMacro, Photoshop plug-in)

BMD software panel is slow at getting started and we had this occur for us. Windows booted up
with our apps in the startup and software control would not connect as it was last to attempt to connect.

Return to Live Production