3G-SDI out into HD-SDI port (ATEM TVS)?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

sfrancis928

3G-SDI out into HD-SDI port (ATEM TVS)?

PostTue Jun 04, 2013 4:52 am

Hello,

My church is considering buying an ATEM TVS for recording sermons. We're not sure what we'll have in our budget for cameras, but we do have a Sony FS700 on hand, and I'm wondering if its 3G-SDI out is compatible with the HD-SDI ports on the TVS.

Or, maybe the bigger question is whether or not 3G-SDI even supports a 1080i60 signal, which is likely what will be used with other HD-SDI cameras that we have yet to purchase. I've seen that the 3G-SDI standard is 1080p60, but I don't know if that's the only format it supports. I'd rather not have to use HDMI, but if it's the only option and we have to use the camera then I guess we will.

And sorry if these questions sound dumb, I'm new to SDI.

Thanks!

Daniel Knoche

Re: 3G-SDI out into HD-SDI port (ATEM TVS)?

PostTue Jun 04, 2013 7:03 am

Second part first; TVS can only do certain formats http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/product ... techspecs/

1080i50, 1080i59.94, 720p50, 720p59.94.

Can use HDMI to SDI converters for longer distances (up to 100m) for all BM ATEM switcher, all inputs must be the same frame rate and resolution regardless what the conenction is.

You'll notice in the tech sheet, the SDI compliance is SMPTE 259M, 292M; in essence 480p, 576p, 720p and 1080i. It cannot do 372 (dual) or 424(3g; which in essence puts dual into 1)

On the FS700, you can change the format and resolution.

From the B&H website http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 ... Speed.html "BNC connector offers 3G/HD-SDI..." so it should would with TVS as long as you set it to a format the TVS will accept

Most cameras you can switch the formats so if you do select an ATEM device, make sure the cameras can do the supported format (possibly look at the 4K switcher as well; may give you some futureproofing and not that much more expensive, do not have to use is it in 4K, can use it in the same formats as the TVS)

Please note some cameras that say 60 frames are actually 59.94 (ie a lot of the JVC) which is important when looking at ATEM inputs

Hope this helps
Daniel

Return to Live Production