SDI RCU - Sony and other brands controlled by BMD SDI CCU

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Xtreemtec

SDI RCU - Sony and other brands controlled by BMD SDI CCU

PostTue Apr 16, 2019 10:41 am

We developed a new product over the past few years that is able to take the return feed of the BMD Atem mixers and extract the CCU and Tally information.

This box serves like a virtual RCP (Remote Control Panel) and does a protocol conversion between the CCU data of the Atem SDI data to the protocol of other brand cameras like Sony, Panasonic, JVC, Visca PTZ, Panasonic PTZ. (Sony and Visca PTZ is released, Panasonic is following soon!!)
This control is done with the CCU data that is normally used to control the BMD Ursa mini and BMD Studio cameras.

For the Sony box we translate this CCU control data into the Sony 700 protocol to control the basic functions of the Sony camera.

Functions include:
-Tally by internal LED and External output for tally light
-Iris control
-Shutter
-Gain
-White level correction
-Black level correction
-Master black level
-Bars
-On camera tally goes with the Red external tally

The box is powered by the Remote port of the Sony camera. 1 SDI return video is needed from the Atem to the RCU box for the control data from the Atem. SDI loop out can be feed to a monitor for PGM return video for the camera operator.
16 Cam ID's select able by rotary switch.

The cameras supported are from the Broadcast line of Sony.
They need to have the 8pin Circular "Remote" connector and must support Sony 700 protocol.

Already tested and confirmed:
PDW-F355
PDW-530

PMW-320
PMW-350
PMW-400
PMW-500

PXW-X320
PXW-Z450
PXW-X500

HXC-100
HDC-P1
* Waiting for feedback of several clients to add other model cameras to this list. :)

Other Sony cameras compatible with Sony 700 protocol but not yet tested:
PMW-EX3
PMW-300

PXW-X400

PDW-F335
PDW-680
PDW-800
PDW-850

HDW-650P
HDW-F900R
HDC-4300
F5
F55
F65

FS5 / FS7 is not supported!! Sony decided to not give those cameras a CCU protocol. So we can not control those cameras.

Connecting the box is simple like plug in your SDI return feed. Connect the control cable to the camera. Power-up the camera and the control will be activated. :)
It can be run from a SDI return video and will also integrate easily with Fiber converters. :D
Connections:

[*] 3G SDI return signal form your ATEM Switcher**
[*] 3G SDI Loop out for return feed monitor available
[*] Camera Control (Cable is included)
[*] Jack 3.5mm for connection of Tally lights (Datavideo TD-3)
[*] Ethernet (for future use)

Led Indicators:

[*] Status
[*] Tally

Supply: Via Camera with supplied cable

Dimensions: 140x75x30mm

If interested in this solution you can look at Broadcastgear.eu

** The converter will accept HD-SDI and 3G-SDI. It can not run with 4K SDI. But we use this box also in a setup with an Atem 4ME Broadcast running 12G-SDI video. For this we have a special down converter that does 12G-SDI to 3G-SDI that keeps CCU, Tally and Audio data intact. If you need this in a 4K environment ask us for more information how to integrate this.

Edit 16-4-2019: PMW-350, PMW-500 & HXC-100 confirmed working by Ben Harper
Edit 17-6-2019: PDW-F355 & PXW-X320 confirmed working by Knut Bussian
Edit 20-4-2020: PXW-Z450, PXW-X500 & HDC-P1 Confirmed by testing at a client.
Last edited by Xtreemtec on Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:31 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Xtreemtec

Re: SDI RCU - Sony and other brands controlled by BMD SDI CC

PostTue Apr 16, 2019 10:44 am

A quick iPhone video of 2 Sony cameras being controlled by the Atem CCU control.

We will upload a better video soon.
The software in this video was still a Beta release version. We are doing a few updates at the moment to work out small issues.

4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Daniel Binder

PostTue Apr 16, 2019 2:53 pm

Hi Daniel,

very interesting... would it work with the Sony PTZs BRC-X1000 and BRC-H800 with VISCA over IP? We use a bunch of those and it would be great to be able to use the Blackmagic CCU panel for shading.

The cameras should support it and the VISCA commands for those cameras were released by Sony here: https://www.sony.net/Products/CameraSys ... 100141.pdf

Cheers,
Daniel

Xtreemtec

PostTue Apr 16, 2019 3:04 pm

Visca 422 for sure. This is something we have up and running for the lower end Sony PTZ cameras. I might look into the documentation as the higher range cameras have some more options / commands. :)

Visca IP is something we are working on but is not ready yet. This hardware can support it. ;) So it's just time to get the software done :D

royseegers

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 7:09 am

Daniel I have some Sony HXC-D70's to test with. Coffee included;)

Oskar Signell

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 8:28 am

I see the PMW-EX3 listed as compatible but untested, what about the EX1?

Would the Datavideo TD-1 tally light also work?

Xtreemtec

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 9:01 am

royseegers wrote:Daniel I have some Sony HXC-D70's to test with. Coffee included;)

Roy the HXC-100 was confirmed by a user yesterday. So it's little brother HXC-D70 will work for sure. :)
I will send you one when we have upped our stock again. Building 20 pieces at the moment. ;)

Oskar Signell wrote:I see the PMW-EX3 listed as compatible but untested, what about the EX1?
Well as far as i could find Sony did not implement the 8 pin Remote connector onto the EX1. I guess because of cost saving. People that needed that feature could buy a EX3 they would have said that time.

Oskar Signell wrote:Would the Datavideo TD-1 tally light also work?
No. The TD1 is 5V while the TD-3 is 12V. So you would blow them up. ;) But you could even build your own from bicycle lights if you want. Just add the proper resistors inline and it should work for your RED tally.

Daniel Binder

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 2:13 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Visca 422 for sure. This is something we have up and running for the lower end Sony PTZ cameras. I might look into the documentation as the higher range cameras have some more options / commands. :)

Visca IP is something we are working on but is not ready yet. This hardware can support it. ;) So it's just time to get the software done :D

Would be great, we might be able to spare a Sony BRC-H800 for two weeks or so at some time if you needed one for testing/development (we're based in Vienna, Austria - should not be a big issue to ship one over).

I am wondering though, to what degree the Blackmagic panel could be adjusted in any way to show correct values for the Sony camera. Aren't i.E. the gain value steps hard coded in the panel/the ATEM software controller? (I think now -6 db/-3db/0db ... to +12db). How did you solve this?

Cheers,
Daniel

Xtreemtec

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 2:21 pm

Well at this point we ship the units with a hard coded gain values. But as gain steps of BMD are way to big. -12 -6 0 6 12 18
We chose to deliver the box with -3 0 3 6 9 and -12 is +12db :P

It is a bit of a struggle but fast thumb rule, divide the original value by 2. ;)

We hope that BMD will add the other gain steps so it will become 3db steps. But until that time we can re-address the gain steps.
There will be a config file on the SD card in the future so the user can decide what the steps are and other functions will be there or not. ;)

But that takes time to create.. So for this initial release it is fixed.

Knut Bussian

PostMon Jul 15, 2019 9:10 am

Hi Daniel,

any news on the updates / fixes?

Knut

Xtreemtec

PostMon Jul 15, 2019 2:56 pm

Well Actually we are working on a new firmware build that have multiple patches inside that we done for a user based error solving.

We are in the final testing stage and will be releasing in about 1,5 week a firmware update. :)

Knut Bussian

PostTue Jul 16, 2019 9:27 am

Very cool!

Thanks!

:D

DavidPeterson

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 3:32 am

Does this work with the Sony PMW-F3 or Sony FS700 as well?

Xtreemtec

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 5:16 pm

DavidPeterson wrote:Does this work with the Sony PMW-F3 or Sony FS700 as well?

The PMW-F3 has the correct 8 pin control connector. While not tested on the F3 yet, i guess it should work.

The FS700 is too much a consumer camera and does not have the proper ports for remote RCP control. The same issue with the FS5, FS7, FX9

Xtreemtec

PostMon Apr 20, 2020 2:32 pm

Confirmed the following cameras as of today supported:
PXW-Z450 4K Broadcast
PXW-X500
HDC-P1 Block camera

themusicnerd

PostWed Jun 10, 2020 12:04 pm

Hi Daniel,
This is absolutely fantastic to read!

I have 3xJVC GY-HM700 and 1xJVC GY-HM750
Is there a compatible box for these?
I’d love to get CCU over ATEM for these!

Do you also have an Australian distributor?

Kindest Regards,
Adrian.
Adrian Davis | StartWebcast | www.startwebcast.com
1x ATEM TVS HD, 4x ATEM 1M/E, 1x ATEM 2M/E, 2x SmartScopes, 2x DecklinkExtreme 3D+, 1x Decklink Duo, 1x Decklink Quad

Xtreemtec

PostThu Jun 11, 2020 8:36 am

Hi Adrian,

Yes we do support JVC HM700/750/790/850/890 cameras. But currently not on this platform.
But the code is ready for it. Just have to port it to this new hardware.

Here is a video from 2015 were we had JVC en Panasonic working on our old hardware platform. But we changed over our complete Hardware workflow so i still have to port it to JVC again.

So yes it can be done. Just have to make some time in my schedule to port the code and re-test the functions to see if everything works like it should. Currently own a JVC 890 so i'm good to go for testing.

No we have no distributors. We are a very small company and our product lineup is just starting to grow. So we are looking for distributors worldwide. ;)

Kirill Ageev

PostWed Aug 12, 2020 10:04 am

Hello. Does the camera send the CCU info back to ATEM? Or it's just one-directional control without a feedback? I wonder if it's embedded into SDI from Sony camera.

Xtreemtec

PostWed Aug 12, 2020 10:15 am

Kirill Ageev wrote:Hello. Does the camera send the CCU info back to ATEM? Or it's just one-directional control without a feedback? I wonder if it's embedded into SDI from Sony camera.

The Atem is always Master. It does not have any feedback. It just tells the camera what to do.

That is why this is possible. We just capture all the data from the SDI and convert that to commands the Sony camera understands. ;)

quentinwhite

PostThu Dec 10, 2020 7:07 pm

So does this allow for a ATEM 1 M/E to control a PTZOptics 30X-SDI Gen 2?
Im wanting to control it with the onboard joystick and such.

Xtreemtec

PostTue Dec 15, 2020 10:48 am

quentinwhite wrote:So does this allow for a ATEM 1 M/E to control a PTZOptics 30X-SDI Gen 2?

No this is for broadcast cameras..

What you want is possible from the Atem with RS422 from the Atem to the PTZ optics.. But the support on that visca protocol is not really big and you can only control Pan Tilt & Zoom. No Presets!! No Focus, Shutter, Gain, Iris, Color control etc..

So you benefit MUCH from an external controller for your PTZ cams.. ;)

quentinwhite

PostTue Dec 15, 2020 3:29 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:
quentinwhite wrote:So does this allow for a ATEM 1 M/E to control a PTZOptics 30X-SDI Gen 2?

No this is for broadcast cameras..

What you want is possible from the Atem with RS422 from the Atem to the PTZ optics.. But the support on that visca protocol is not really big and you can only control Pan Tilt & Zoom. No Presets!! No Focus, Shutter, Gain, Iris, Color control etc..

So you benefit MUCH from an external controller for your PTZ cams.. ;)

Great, Thank you much!

Knut Bussian

PostWed Dec 16, 2020 10:39 am

Hi Daniel,

so what about the update?

Still missing the ability to set WB without having to manually dial it in via the color wheel...

Knut

Xtreemtec

PostWed Dec 16, 2020 12:15 pm

Knut Bussian wrote:Hi Daniel,

so what about the update?

Still missing the ability to set WB without having to manually dial it in via the color wheel...

Knut

So did you ever see Sony with an Update to have Fixed white balance presets like the BMD does?? :?
As explained before due to Sony's lack of some commands.. It's impossible to map every BMD created command to a Sony command. It's just that and i can't change that for a bit..

f1ght3r

PostFri Dec 18, 2020 9:47 am

Hello, i am interested in testing the control for Sony EX3 and maybe PWM 300 ( i might get my hands on one in the near future).

szonti

PostWed Oct 13, 2021 1:47 pm

Hi Daniel,

impressive work! I would like to ask an off topic question, if you don't mind. We working on an own (not commercial) project, where the Sony 700 protocol goes thrugh on local ethernet network. Did you get any document from sony about the protocol to your project? Or there is an open documentation about the comands somewhere on the net? Thank you and sorry for my slightly strange question.

Cheers,
Viktor

Xtreemtec

PostThu Oct 14, 2021 7:51 am

Yes we have the official protocol. If you are still in this stage i really wont bother and stop development. You really need the official protocol to get it up and running.

Sony is shielding this protocol from the public and is only available to under very strict NDA with high penalities if broken.

I would recommend you wait a little as we have a new unit around the corner that also supports IP control connection.

As for the Sony protocol. Spend more then 500 hours on that already and still doesnt support every camera. It really is a heavy protocol!!

ApexRick

PostThu Oct 28, 2021 7:50 pm

This is awesome! Especially with URSA Broadcasts being on backorder for months. I take it coms will not carry over through this box however? If so what's your solution for that.

Xtreemtec

PostFri Oct 29, 2021 4:53 pm

We normally use IP based intercom in our setups. GreenGo intercom in our productions.

But often we have our fiber setup with us that has 12G sdi video, network for intercom and CCU control RCU in a 1 box setup.

There would be an option to have 1 way intercom from the atem to the cam operator on the new RCU Vlock. As we have the option to add an audio de-embedder that outputs channels 15/16.

But you can not hear the cam operators. Unless you use the microphone input of the cameras and listen to it in your atem.

ApexRick

PostTue Nov 02, 2021 12:22 pm

That's pretty neat. Our current Com setup uses the XLR output on the front of the atem 8K, convert that to CAT5 and goes into an RTS so our com setup is always listening to the atem. We also use a com system called Unity for wireless coms, mostly for clients to feel like they're apart of the show but I could technically put it on a non-timing critical camera as there is a slight delay. Certainly very interested as we do 20-30 shows a year with 12-14 ursa broadcast cameras and those things do not stand up to outdoor use. You're lucky if you get 2 years out of the body and now that I can't get any I'm looking at other options.

filmaproduction

PostSun Nov 27, 2022 8:44 pm

Hi, Daniel.
We are interested to buy one box for control our hxc100, but on your site it is "out of stock" for a couple of months.
Will it be available yet?
Thank You.
Martin.

Xtreemtec

PostTue Nov 29, 2022 11:12 am

The Old box is not in stock anymore. Due to chip market issues we could not continue production of that model.

But we do have a new model. Vlock version that mounts to most cameras direct to the back.
Which Supports Sony S700 Protocol, Panasonic HPX model cameras, JVC 700 / 800 / 900 Cameras

RCU Vlock 1.jpg
RCU Vlock 1.jpg (80.49 KiB) Viewed 4464 times

RCU Vlock 2.jpg
RCU Vlock 2.jpg (82.53 KiB) Viewed 4464 times

But that is maybe not the best option for a HXC100 which just wants to put into a rack with the Rack CCU unit.

I will have 4 units that will be returned in a few weeks as the customer is going to upgrade them for Vlock units. So i think i can make a good deal on those.

Send you a PM.

Return to Live Production