Which optical fiber should I use?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Steve R

Which optical fiber should I use?

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 4:07 am

I have a question. Which optical fiber cable should I use? I've read about people having problems running cables longer than 50ft. I don't need to run all 26 miles, but I do need about a 300ft-1000ft run with no problems

I need to run: Camera -to> HDMI -to> ATEM Camera Converter -to> "mystery optical fiber cable" -to> ATEM Studio Converter -to> HDMI -to> ATEM Television Studio.

I've found this and I'm wondering if this is the right cable? "Multimode Duplex Fiber Optic Cable (50/125) - LC to LC"
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00551K11C/

ALSO, Will the audio travel from the camera all the way to the BM Studio Embeded Audio Mixer :?:

Thank a bunch!
-Steve

Alexis Vanier

Re: Which optical fiber should I use?

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 6:39 am

Essentially, using multi mode will do but is not a recommended practice. Single mode will yield consistently good results over long runs since the SFP modules in BMD products are of the single mode type. You should be able to procure both multi mode and single mode fiber at similar pricing.

In this thread some users are attempting to document to what extent you can successfully use multimode fiber and interface it with singlemode systems.

As for the audio, if you camera embeds sound over SDI, it will be carried over. If you connect something into the 1/4 TRS jacks the camera converter, it will overwrite the embedded audio (if present) and be embedded over SDI. On the other end, you can disembed your audio from SDI straight to AES with the Studio Converter and mix it with a digital mixer, disembed it from SDI to whatever you need with a mini-converter, or mix it straight in your vision mixer if it supports such a feature (like the ATEM series mixers, Ross Vision series, and others...).

Hope this helps!
Alexis Vanier.

Steve R

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 7:26 am

Single mode will yield consistently good results over long runs since the SFP modules in BMD products are of the single mode type.

Ok, so after looking for "Single Mode" cable, I can't find anything for sale (google shoping) that is longer than 25M. All of my search results show up as "fiber op patch cables".

If you look at (google shop) "Multi Mode Optical Fiber", there are TONS of quality cables rated for 1000m and beyond.

:? **copy and paste link of Exact 300m cable I should buy here** haha

Serously, What cable really runs 26 miles??

Alexis Vanier

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 12:34 pm

Feel free to experiment and share your findings with us! Some hard data on what happens when you mix and match fiber mode media is definitely lacking!

What I do know is that my business gets me to regularly deploy runs of 1000ft+. Multimode was not an option as we felt 300ft was sort of the tipping point.

I don't doubt that there's a lot of cheap quality multimode fiber out there... but I doubt fitting a quality round peg in a square hole is going to work any better in the long run (pun semi intended).

There's a lot of good recommendations for fiber suppliers that cater to the US market on the ATEMuser forums. Give it a look.
Alexis Vanier.

Richard Courtney

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 5:49 pm

Look at this forum thread from a few month's back:
http://atemuser.com/forums/atem-vision-mixers/blackmagic-atems/fiber-suggestions-atem-camera-converters

There is a member that has made reels ready to go for OB use.
http://www.tacticalfiber.com/

mdwalleman

PostThu Sep 13, 2012 1:08 am

If you're going to be using fiber in long runs (100ft +) You'll want to use what's called Tactical Fiber. Typically, you order it from a fiber distributor like FIS, Joseph Electronics, Telecast, or Belden. Personally, I order most of our fiber from FIS Blue http://www.fisblue.com/. Usually, you'll want to order Tac-4. Meaning that there's 4 strands of fiber in the line. This allows you some redundancy in the event you damage a connector. However, you can order a Tac-2 as well.

Don't let the fact that these are also military suppliers scare you off. Fiber in it's bulk form is far cheaper than copper cable nowadays. The price goes up depending on the type of connector you specify. Some are much cheaper than others.

Joseph Electronics can bundle tactical fiber with some regular copper audio lines if you need it. I have a few reels of that also. Great guys to order from!
Mark D. Walleman

Rich Rubin

PostThu Sep 13, 2012 7:47 am

Hi All,

Tactical Fiber Systems in Boca Raton, Florida manufactures single mode tactical fiber cables terminated with LC connectors for Blackmagic-Design Atem camera and studio converters. Cables lengths are available from 250 to 2,000 feet delivered on reels with 10 feet of fan-out for easy deployment.

We also manufacture a Neutrik opticalCON DUO adapter for installation on ATEM Camera Converters and Neutrik opticalCON DUO patch panels for Studio Converters which are more durable t than LC connectors for repeat field deployment.

Cables and complete turnkey fiber based systems with ATEM camera and studio converters are available for immediate delivery at value prices.

More info at http://www.tacticalfiber.com/ or call 561-372-0604

Cheers!

Rich

Rich Rubin
Tactical Fiber Systems, Inc.
Boca Raton, Florida
www.Tactical Fiber.com

RRubin@tacticalfiber.com
561-372-0604

Steve R

PostThu Sep 13, 2012 8:21 am

Rich,
Thanks for your reply. Looks like you carry a pretty solid product. But after surfing your site it looks like the reels may carry a bit more overhead than I'm looking to spend. My truck is currently equipped with a reel system. Could you sell me a few spools of fiber (without the reels). Pm me. I've gotta wrap this up this week.

Can't wait to follow up with this!

Thanks!
-Steve

:)

Rich Rubin

PostThu Sep 13, 2012 11:59 pm

Steve,

I can't figure out how to PM on this forum so here goes a general post. Tactical Fiber System sells Tactical fiber for ATEM converters with or without reels. For prices without reels, please send me an email at RRubin@tacticalfiber.com or call 561-372-0604 with requirements and I will respond with pricing.

Regards,

Rich

Rich Rubin
Tactical Fiber Systems
Boca Raton, FL
www.TacticalFiber.com
561-372-0604

Dave Connor

PostSat Sep 15, 2012 6:24 am

One expansion on a quote above..

"As for the audio, if you camera embeds sound over SDI, it will be carried over. If you connect something into the 1/4 TRS jacks the camera converter, it will overwrite the embedded audio (if present) and be embedded over SDI."

This isn't strictly true. The Camera Converters strip ALL embedded audio, and then reembed channels 1 and 2 only. Plus 15 and 16 as Comms Channels.

The two issues are that any audio apart from channels 1 and 2 gets lost, and also that there is sometimes noise introduced in the analogue audio leg of the converter.

I have 4 camera converters being used as paperweights on my workbench because of these issues.

Blackmagic says there will be a firmware update to address these issues, but my mother also told me that there was a Santa Claus.

Richard Courtney

PostSat Sep 15, 2012 10:19 am

Dave Connor wrote:One expansion on a quote above..
Blackmagic says there will be a firmware update to address these issues, but my mother also told me that there was a Santa Claus.

I know he exists......I see him having his picture taken with kids at the mall every year!

Roach

PostSun Dec 14, 2014 8:10 am

What are benefits of going with tactical cable over regular fiber. I get that it is stronger but form what I've looked at I can get a couple of normal fiber cables fir the same price of the tactical. For the project I am buying these cables for they should be safe but then again I can buy a couple so that i have a backup just in case which leaves me feeling a little more at ease.

MambaFiber.com

PostSun Dec 14, 2014 10:22 pm

we use a lot of fiber classified as "indoor/outdoor" distribution cable, 6 or 12 strands. some of it was had for less than 50 cents/foot. We run them all over the place, including right on the ground at PGA Tour events. You want to keep them out of traffic areas and away from where people or things may trip or snag on them... but we have had great luck with this type of cable so far. that being said, i am starting to buy tactical mainly because it is more flexible. my older stuff gets a bit stiff in cold weather and doesn't always lay flat. minor issue.

our main form of damage always seems to be the last few feet of either end. even with protective sleeves over the fanout, it still gets snagged on something reeling it up and pulls a strand breaking it in the middle somewhere (boo-hiss), or just ripping the connector off the end (fixable). if you are re-deploying fiber frequently, you must expect this type of problem eventually, and why we always get fiber with many more strands than we actually use.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Return to Live Production