PC software that records 4 video streams with Decklink QUAD

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

atemdecklinker

PC software that records 4 video streams with Decklink QUAD

PostTue Jun 18, 2013 2:38 am

Hello,

I recently purchased a Decklink QUAD card so that I can record 4 HDSDI signals simultaneously. I have a custom built PC that should have all the processing and RAM requirements. I don't think Media Express allows the capture of 4 simultaneous streams of video. Is there a software out there that does this, and is for the PC?

Thank you in advance!

JohnBengston

Re: PC software that records 4 video streams with Decklink Q

PostTue Jun 18, 2013 8:20 am

It all depends on what you mean by 4 separate streams. You can access Windows Direct Show (New WDM interfaces are available in recent Decklink packages) through something as simple (but mega useful) as GraphStudio (open-source / free / etc.. etc..).

http://blog.monogram.sk/janos/tools/monogram-graphstudio/

Then depending on the speed of your RAID array, you build your capture graphs inserting whatever compression you want, or capture uncompressed SDI data. You can capture either 4 separate files, or I prefer, if I am recording multiple streams to capture all streams on one graph and hence ensure all recordings are the same length and start and stop at exactly the same time (frame accurately). Reverse process is also very useful if you need to ensure one play command rolls 4 streams simultaneously. You can build very complex graphs (given the right filters), another Decklink customer once showed me a graph they built with about 25 interconnected filters doing all kinds of crazy processing things.

I'm slightly surprised BMD persist with Media Express, although a beautiful application to look at, I've never been able to make any good use of it.

If you need more "user-friendly" tools than GraphStudio provides please log you interest on this thread:

http://www.atemuser.com/forums/atem-vision-mixers/blackmagic-atems/just-macros/how-fast-your-raid-and-do-you-have-one

Cheers

John

atemdecklinker

PostThu Jun 20, 2013 7:22 pm

Great, thank you, John!

We will give this a shot and let you know our results!

Thank you, again for posting!

mrmaverick

PostThu Jun 20, 2013 7:44 pm

Wirecast with the Matrox card does four ISO streams. I suspect maybe Wirecast can do it with BMD as well.

Return to Live Production