having trouble connecting to my ATEM Television Studio

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

iriemusic

having trouble connecting to my ATEM Television Studio

PostWed May 22, 2019 12:41 am

Greetings all I am having trouble connecting to my ATEM Television Studio
Via setup or the ATEM App can some one help me please

Kevin Copeland

Re: having trouble connecting to my ATEM Television Studio

PostThu May 23, 2019 7:22 pm

Do you know your network settings?

Router could be: 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Then you need to assign an IP to your ATEM such as, 192.168.1.240.

But make sure this isn't an already used IP address on your network.

iriemusic

PostThu May 23, 2019 7:35 pm

Thank you and my name is Wayne, I’ll try this when I leave work this evening
My respect
Wayne

iriemusic

PostSat May 25, 2019 4:27 pm

I tried that but it didn’t work I’m at my wits end
Question, how can I find out the gateway address on my cpu

Thomas Seewald

PostWed May 29, 2019 7:22 pm

For connecting an ATEM to any network connected control unit (console, PC/Mac) you need a minimum of network knowledge.There are a lot of posts about this.

For the first trial, use a PC with a wired ethernet connection. Go to network settings. Set to static IP, e.g 192.168.1.55 (the first two numbers are standard for private networks, the third number is mostly 0 or 1. the fourth numer is the address inside your small network. In this example number 55 (0, 1 and 255 are reserved). In this example, your network can have 253 different devices.

Set subnet to 255.255.255.0. This means, all addresses of the fourth number are local - all other are outside your network. This will be important, when using a router. In this case, you don‘t need a value for

In this first trial, you don‘t need any router. Connect the computer directly to ATEM with a cable. Connect also USB for setup the ATEM. Run setup and set ATEM ip to e.g. 192.168.1.240 (but not the same like the computer has !). Subnet mask is also 255.255.255.0.

The ATEM should be controlled by PC now...

Most people want to use the control PC alt the same time as streaming device. So it must be connected to internet by a router.

In this case, you have to modify ATEM and PC ip-settings matching to the router. But for this, you must know the router settings.

This is the second trial and I‘ll give more information after successful finishing step 1.... When your PC was working inside a network before this trial, switch back to the settings before ;-)

P.S. the gateway address is the adress of your router. In most environments, the PCs are connected by DHCP. That means the router gives an address to the PC. The general network setup depends on your use case !

You can view the IP setting at a PC very fast using a dos prompt and typing the command „ipconfig /all“
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

iriemusic

PostWed May 29, 2019 10:56 pm

Thank you I’LL TRY THAT BUT I.m plugging right into the Mac as I’m not using a router
Again thank you for taking the time to reply

My respect

Thomas Seewald

PostThu May 30, 2019 12:25 pm

I‘m pretty sure, the Mac also can set to static IPs.
But you can skip my step 1. I would suggest to start all trys with wired connections. Disable WiFi at the Mac. (Sometimes, wired network settings and WiFi are for different network address ranges, which is not helpful for your first steps)

Sorry, but I‘m a PC user, so I can‘t help in setting up or read the the network settings.

In general:
In private networks, all subnet masks are 255.255.255.0 (defined as standard)
The standard gateway ist routers internal ip- e.g something like 192.168.1.1...

The IP for your ATEM must fir to the range inside your network.so the first 3 mumbers in the IP must be equal to others. The last one must be unique.

When you use DHCP for your devices, keep in mind to disable static address ranges in routers DHCP server for preventing double IP and address conflicts.

I bought a very small and cheep PC (Pipo) for ATEM control and it is set to a static IP. So I can control ATEM without any router or other network components. Controling an ATEM don‘t need powerfull computers.... (By the way, there is a Windows 10 Powershell application to use a cheep Behringer X-Touch-Mini for basic ATEM control).

This way, you can separate your production gear from all Internet devices. There is no reason to have your ATEM and ATEM control in a network connected to internet. No risk of unauthorised access, no risk of sudden updates - simple safe.

The only PC/Mac which needs an internet connection is the streaming device. Because of the need of two screens, so this normally is a separate computer - so no problem....
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Return to Live Production