Iris Control keeps failing via camera control

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

JesseMaitland

Iris Control keeps failing via camera control

PostWed Jul 17, 2019 5:38 pm

Lens control features are not a new thing. However, most of the issues ive seen arent like mine, or seem to be a different scenario.

Im using a Broadcast 4ME switcher, a Color Control Hardware Panel, and the large Broadcast control panel. We are on Ursa Mini 4.6k CF and PL Mount. I own two 40x B4 2/3" lenses. As you can see, these are are not cheap in anyway!($82k). These are attached to both a URSA MINI 4.6k and a URSA Broadcast. Both experience the same problem.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... photo.html

1) Talley works flawless
2) IS on lens works Flawless
3) Camera Control, Iso/Shutter work flawless.
Focus and Zoom are done manually by the operator

Whats NOT WORKING is the Iris! The servo can be set to Auto or Manual. I can get camera control Iris to work perfectly, and then when it's show time, it suddenly quits working and i cant get control back. Even though everything above works, only the Iris control fails. Sometimes I power cycle the camera, or remount the lens, or connect and reconnect the lens control connector from the body of the Ursa. I have been unsuccessful to what specifically is creating the issue or what fixes it. Its very inconsistant.

This problem is repeated with both URSA Mini 4.6k and the URSA Broadcast using the HJ 40x lenses.

Inspection of the pins show nothing weird. I am using a single shim (The thinnest of them) but beyond that, Im not using any shims.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Jesse Maitland -
ATEM Production Studio 4k
Micro Studio 4K
and other awesome blackmagic gear

Xtreemtec

Re: Iris Control keeps failing via camera control

PostWed Jul 17, 2019 6:46 pm

There are several topics about this. The problem is that the HJ40 is a digi range lens. And the Ursa wants to talk serial digital to the lens.. But there are a few issues there sometimes.

I dont own one or can easily get one on my hands.. But the thing is we collective should find a way to get the lens working in Analog mode. This lens is perfect capable of Analog iris control. (Done this before on JVC HM700 that do not have digi control)

But the question is how to force the lens to Analog mode because it prefers to run digital instead. And since the ursa is capable of both. It favors digital before analog. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

JesseMaitland

PostThu Dec 17, 2020 11:25 pm

quick update.... this issue was resolved with firmware on the Ursa. It was a timing issue between lens and the body.
Jesse Maitland -
ATEM Production Studio 4k
Micro Studio 4K
and other awesome blackmagic gear

Blake Law

PostSun Oct 24, 2021 2:41 pm

Can you let me know what version this was fixed in? We have some 47x Canon Box Lenses and constantly lose control of the IRIS and the lens will open all the way up and then we have to set it back even though we don't change it on the BMD Software and it doesn't reflect in the software that the f stop has changed. We use URSA Broadcast Cameras and we use the ATEM Camera Control Panels.

We have 7 cameras and these two with the 47x boxes are the only ones that have this problem.

Xtreemtec

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 8:52 am

There are still issues with Canon lenses.. We have several digital drive lenses that stop mid show or iris is very choppy.. Or not even initialize...

All our lenses work perfect on a full analog Sony body. And i asked BMD several times to give the user the ability to switch the Ursa over to full Analog mode.. As that would solve the problems.. And dont give you headaches in the field when a lens doesn't work..

It seems to be very hard to implement a simple on off switch in the menu to control this. And not forcing the Ursa to do Digital control mode which fails in the end..

I have been thinking to cut the Serial wires inside the lenses just to get the ursa to see it as analog only lens.. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Michael Helenek

PostThu Apr 21, 2022 1:24 am

I just noticed this exact same problem when filming today on the ursa mini pro 4.6K (G1) running firmware 6.9.4 which I believe to be the latest. Using a canon 24-105 f4.

Sometimes Iris control suddenly was completely lost. (Dial does nothing) Other times the lens would suddenly open to f4. Was not on auto exposure. Very spurratic.

This was a live event (no retakes) and the occurrences made that footage unusable. I could loose a client for this.

Does this have to do with the 6.9.4 update? Is there a fix? I hadn’t ever noticed this with my earlier firmware.

Any responses from black magic would be appreciated. I can’t use this in the field again until resolved.

Thank you

Mike

Return to Live Production