Servo/CCU Control of Micro Studio 4k MFT 12-50mm lenses

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Linden deCarmo

Servo/CCU Control of Micro Studio 4k MFT 12-50mm lenses

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 11:19 pm

We're looking for a MFT lens in the general 12-50mm range that is compatible with the BlackMagic Micro Studio 4k and can be controlled with the ATEM CCU protocol.

Our use case is a wide angle shot most of the time but occasional need to zoom in out and adjust gain/Iris, white balance etc. via the ATEM. Does anyone have any experience/recommendation for lenses with this feature set and tested on the BlackMagic Micro Studio 4k?

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: Servo/CCU Control of Micro Studio 4k MFT 12-50mm lenses

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 11:47 pm

There are only four native Micro 4/3 lenses that have servo zoom capability:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/faq/59009

Here's the list:
  • Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 Power O.I.S. Lens
  • Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm f/4.0-5.6 Zoom OIS Lens
  • Olympus 12-50mm f/3.5-6.3 ED M.Zuiko EZ Micro 4/3 Lens
  • Olympus 14-42mm M.Zuiko f/3.5-5.6 Digital ED EZ Lens

Linden deCarmo

PostThu Jul 29, 2021 7:56 pm

Dave Del Vecchio wrote:There are only four native Micro 4/3 lenses that have servo zoom capability:

Here's the list:

Dave,

Bumping this thread given the Blackmagic Studio Camera 4K Pro and focus and zoom demands announcement. Have there been any additional lenses added to this list that support these new features?

Nick Lavigne

PostThu Jul 29, 2021 9:19 pm

I own a couple of the "Olympus 12-50mm f/3.5-6.3 ED M.Zuiko EZ Micro 4/3 Lens". They have been discontinued for some time.

Tony Spiraletti

PostFri Jul 30, 2021 3:43 am

I like what BMD has done with these cameras. The 10G Ethernet as a single cable connection for everything including power is a fantastic feature. I also love the new focus and zoom demands. I wonder if these will work with the Canon 18-80 C-NE lens via an active adaptor??

With BMD persisting with the MFT mount, I think for these studio cameras to really take off they need to commission a lens maker to make a lens like the Sony 28-135 f4 with full servo control.

MFT is a great mount BUT while BMD tout the mount as having hundreds of lenses to choose from, only 4-5 MFT lenses are suited to live production and natively support the zoom and focus demand. These lenses are all slow variable aperture zooms. We need something like a 14-140 f4 (or 2.8 would obviously be better) built like the Sony Servo lenses for these cameras to be taken seriously IMO

Nick Lavigne

PostFri Jul 30, 2021 5:37 am

Tony Spiraletti wrote:I like what BMD has done with these cameras. The 10G Ethernet as a single cable connection for everything including power is a fantastic feature. I also love the new focus and zoom demands. I wonder if these will work with the Canon 18-80 C-NE lens via an active adaptor??

With BMD persisting with the MFT mount, I think for these studio cameras to really take off they need to commission a lens maker to make a lens like the Sony 28-135 f4 with full servo control.

MFT is a great mount BUT while BMD tout the mount as having hundreds of lenses to choose from, only 4-5 MFT lenses are suited to live production and natively support the zoom and focus demand. These lenses are all slow variable aperture zooms. We need something like a 14-140 f4 (or 2.8 would obviously be better) built like the Sony Servo lenses for these cameras to be taken seriously IMO

I completely agree and I feel that fujinon would do it

As to the 10GbE I like that idea. Thinking out loud what is the ethernet port of my ursa broadcast camera fiber converter and studio fiber converter ever going to do?

Peter Clausen

PostFri Jul 30, 2021 9:10 am

Could it be a solution, if BMD developed a zoom motor similar to a Tilta Nucleus, that could be mounted on a rod in the now included base and connect to the zoom demand, to give better/finer control of zoom and would thus winden our options to include non-power zoom MFT lenses?

Dave Del Vecchio

PostFri Jul 30, 2021 11:59 am

Linden deCarmo wrote:
Dave Del Vecchio wrote:There are only four native Micro 4/3 lenses that have servo zoom capability:

Here's the list:

Dave,

Bumping this thread given the Blackmagic Studio Camera 4K Pro and focus and zoom demands announcement. Have there been any additional lenses added to this list that support these new features?
As far as I am aware, the list of native Micro 4/3 lenses with servo zoom capability is still just limited to those 4.

In general, the pace of new native Micro 4/3 lens announcements has slowed considerably in recent years, especially from Olympus and Panasonic which were the main supporters of the lens mount. Olympus sold its camera business in 2020 to Japan Industrial Partners (OM Digital Solutions) which says they plan to continue selling cameras and lenses, but obviously Olympus' decision to shed that business unit was an indication that their camera business was not doing so great.

And then Panasonic has shifted some of their attention in terms of camera and lens development away from Micro 4/3 and toward their full-frame L-mount lineup. Panasonic has developed a pair of video-oriented zoom lenses for Micro 4/3 in the past few years, with the 10-25mm f/1.7 and 25-50mm f/1.7, but neither had power zoom support and neither lens really seems to be directly geared toward live event coverage or ENG types of applications.

What is interesting is that Panasonic did develop a 13x servo zoom lens that covers the Micro 4/3 sensor area in their integrated lens DVX200 camcorder. That lens is a 12.8mm to 167mm (f/2.8 to f/4.5) which seems like it could be an ideal range for a lot of applications. But despite having that lens formula available, they never released anything similar as a standalone lens for interchangeable Micro 4/3 mount cameras.

Regarding the Canon CN-E servo zoom lenses like the 18-80mm, Metabones did release an update for their EF to Micro 4/3 Speed Boosters and Smart Adapters that allowed for servo zoom control through the camera. They claim this works for Panasonic cameras, and I assume the adapter is emulating what a native Micro 4/3 lens does for zoom control so I would think this might work with other camera brands as well:
https://www.metabones.com/article/of/Fi ... ns_and_GH5

There was some previous discussion about using the CN-E lenses with earlier Blackmagic Studio Cameras in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74247

Return to Live Production