ATEM mini - USB output specs?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Ben Johnston

ATEM mini - USB output specs?

PostMon Sep 23, 2019 5:30 pm

Hi all

I'm new to this kind of tech. What is the USB programme output capable of? I'm interested in using this to capture multi-camera projects, not just live-stream.

Aside from software settings further downstream, what sort of codec, resolution and data rate options can we expect from the device itself?

Many thanks
Ben

Xtreemtec

Re: ATEM mini - USB output specs?

PostTue Sep 24, 2019 2:11 pm

Resolution is the set OUTPUT resolution of the device itself up to 108P60.
It indentifies as a USB webcam. So expect data rates like HD webcams.

And because it indentifies like a webcam.. A lot of software will work with it.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Ben Johnston

PostTue Sep 24, 2019 2:21 pm

Thanks Daniel

Walter Sonius

PostWed Sep 25, 2019 1:42 pm

As it uses a external power supply would a USB-C interface be required or is it backwards compatible to regular USB3 A(3GB SDI if any) or even USB2 A (webcam datarate) work?

Andrew Martin

PostSun Sep 29, 2019 9:39 am

Walter Sonius wrote:As it uses a external power supply would a USB-C interface be required or is it backwards compatible to regular USB3 A(3GB SDI if any) or even USB2 A (webcam datarate) work?
If you watch the IBC update video on BM website. You'll notice GP using a C to A lead. I think he even states it's a simple C to A lead, but haven't had chance to rewatch it agn.

From my mobile using Tapatalk

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Sep 30, 2019 2:24 pm

The Mini will work on most any computer that accepts a USB webcam. All you need is a USB A to USB C cable. The USB does not power the unit. It is for firmware updates and Program out to the webcam.

Regards. Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Walter Sonius

PostMon Oct 07, 2019 8:27 am

@Andrew Martin and Gary Adams,

Thanks for the answers, is USB2.0 interface now confirmed it would be enough bandwidth for compressed webcam feeds?

flidjet1

PostMon Oct 14, 2019 10:33 am

Could the USB-C Output act as an HDMI program output by using a low cost USB-C => HDMI converter?

Dave Del Vecchio

PostTue Oct 15, 2019 4:43 am

flidjet1 wrote:Could the USB-C Output act as an HDMI program output by using a low cost USB-C => HDMI converter?
I think it's unlikely that this would work, at least in the initial firmware.

HDMI output over a USB-C port usually uses something called HDMI Alt Mode, which essentially repurposes the pins of the USB-C connector to send an HDMI video signal (rather than a USB data signal):
https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/HDMIA ... TypeC.aspx

So this is a very different signal format than is used for the USB webcam video feature. The USB webcam sends compressed video using the USB Video Class (UVC) device specification. This is a much older specification that fits within the standard USB protocol. This is why a USB type C to USB type A cable can be used with the USB C connector on the ATEM Mini, for example.

HDMI Alt Mode over USB C often makes use of hardware support in the USB C chipset, so it's unclear if the ATEM Mini's hardware is even capable of this.

Xtreemtec

PostTue Oct 15, 2019 10:24 am

What Dave said. It is a streaming webcam stream video. Not a video output that something like a USB > HDMI converter will even understand.

So NO.

Just use the HDMI output. And accept this is a MINI. If you need more functions just go for the TVS HD. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

flidjet1

PostTue Oct 15, 2019 5:09 pm

Thanks, Dave & Daniel for the clarification.

Frank Engel

PostTue Oct 22, 2019 3:40 pm

Slightly different but related question: does anyone know if the USB feed from the mini can be configured to provide the preview out instead of the program out?

For example, if I wanted to use the HDMI out as the program out to drive a projector instead of streaming to a computer, could I then use the webcam feed to USB to monitor the preview signal on the computer instead of sending it another copy of the program out?

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Oct 22, 2019 3:54 pm

Hello Frank. The USB connection provides Program output only.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Frank Engel

PostTue Oct 22, 2019 4:03 pm

That's unfortunate, but kind of what I expected.

Maybe something to consider as an improvement in a future firmware release?

Thank you!

Jack K.

PostWed Mar 18, 2020 5:58 pm

Will the ATEM mini work with a 2011 Macbook Pro with USB 2 ports but no USB 3 ports?

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Mar 18, 2020 7:01 pm

Hello Jack. Yes. It works on my 2011.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Jack K.

PostWed Mar 18, 2020 7:12 pm

Could you tell me what cables I need and which ports to use? So far, I have a usb3 adapter attached to a usb cable going from the webcam out port on the mini and into the usb2 port on my laptop. Is something supposed to be showing up on my computer? I'm not seeing any indication of a connection.

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Mar 18, 2020 9:40 pm

Hello Jack. This may be helpful for Mac users.

-Make sure you are using a USB cable. Not a thunderbolt cable and not a USB charging cable. The USB data cable would have a USB-C connector on the ATEM end and whatever USB, type A or C on the computer end.
-In the Apple icon upper left, select "About This Mac -> System Report"
-In the Audio, Camera, and USB Device Sections, there will be a "Blackmagic Design" entry.
Other Blackmagic products use other names. The Mini will use "Blackmagic Design".
-To verify the device is actually connecting, pull the USB cable and do the Command-R to refresh the display.
-Put the cable back and do the Command-R and observe the device is back.
-Check the signal in an app like Facetime. The Video menu allows the selection of camera sources and microphone sources separately. You should see Blackmagic Design in the selection.
-Note the image in Facetime may be cropped or reversed. This is not the Mini cropping but rather Facetime. There is nothing we can do about this. The end user will not see a reversed image.
-OBS will let you see the whole image.
-Select Device = Blackmagic Design, Resolution = 1920x1080, No to Use Preset, Frame Rate = Simple 59.94.
-Note there are settings for Input format, Color Space, and Video Range that may be useful to users.
-There may be variations to all of this.

I hope this may help.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Jack K.

PostSat Mar 21, 2020 2:44 am

Extremely helpful, thank you very much. Now that I have my camera set up and working in OBS, I'm noticing significant video lag. Is there any way to mitigate this?

Jack K.

PostSat Mar 21, 2020 11:09 pm

I connected a Sony RX100 IV via clean HDMI-out to one of the Mini's HDMI inputs, and the Mini's webcam out into my macbook pro, capturing the video in OBS. I the camera is connected and the Mini seems to be controlling it. But there is significant lag on the video - around 2 seconds. Not sure about audio (I can hear myself well with no lag) - I'm using a UA's Apollo interface for that. Does a live stream automatically synch the two up, and I'll just have to make do with seeing everything on a delay? Is there a way to see it without the lag? Is the camera the issue?

Many thanks

1v4rMH

PostWed Apr 01, 2020 12:17 pm

Hi Jack. Try connecting a monitor to the program HDMI output on you mini and see if you have the same delay there. If no lag then the issue is probably with your computer or USB cable bandwith.

immanuelchurchtech

PostTue Jul 14, 2020 5:46 pm

Hi, I am a newbie using an ATEM mini and need to pick up a USB C cable to experiment on one computer and a USB C to A cable for another computer. I was wondering if you had a specific brand or could send me a link to the best cables - trying to make sure that I don't buy a thunderbolt or charging cable by accident. I'll be using the ATEM mini to hook up two cameras and a computer running Pro Presenter and streaming it to Fb live. Thanks!

Homesick

PostTue Sep 01, 2020 8:16 pm

Unfortunate you haven't received any feedback here yet. I'm partly in the same boat because while I can confirm that a standard USB-C charging/data cable that came with my iPad Pro works well with the USB-C output of the Atem Mini Pro, I'm hesitant if I should still get a Thunderbolt USB-C if I want to run longer cable. In my new setup I'll need to place the MacBook Pro further away and a new cable is needed...

immanuelchurchtech wrote:Hi, I am a newbie using an ATEM mini and need to pick up a USB C cable to experiment on one computer and a USB C to A cable for another computer. I was wondering if you had a specific brand or could send me a link to the best cables - trying to make sure that I don't buy a thunderbolt or charging cable by accident. I'll be using the ATEM mini to hook up two cameras and a computer running Pro Presenter and streaming it to Fb live. Thanks!

MarioB

PostSat Feb 19, 2022 6:43 pm

Gary Adams,
Could you please provide a link to the USB-C cable that will actually work 100% with ATEM Mini. Thank you.

henrychan

PostSun Feb 20, 2022 4:29 pm

MarioB wrote:Gary Adams,
Could you please provide a link to the USB-C cable that will actually work 100% with ATEM Mini. Thank you.

Here is a cable that works for me.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GGKYN0A

If you want USB 3, look for the ones that have a blue tip on the USB A side.

Dave Del Vecchio

PostMon Feb 21, 2022 6:39 pm

I believe that the webcam output from the ATEM Mini fits within USB 2.0 data rates (480 Mbps maximum) as the original ATEM Mini only included a USB 2.0 port (with a USB Type C connector).

The ATEM Mini Pro and ATEM Mini Extreme include USB 3 ports (listed as USB 3.1 gen 1, with a maximum bandwidth of 5 Gbps). But this faster speed is mostly useful if connecting a USB type C drive for local recording. This is especially helpful on the ISO models which record multiple video files simultaneously. When using the webcam output (connected to a computer), then USB 2.0 speeds are sufficient.

What this means is that a wide variety of USB cables should work for the ATEM Mini's USB webcam output. USB 2.0 cables typically use 4 wires internally: 2 for data and 2 for power, so as long as you get a USB data cable that includes all 4 wires it will probably work fine. Although there were some USB charging only cables sold that only included the power wires (and left out the data wires), they seem to be less common these days. Most USB cables seem to include at least the 2 data wires needed for USB 2.0 speeds, so provided that the cable says that it supports USB data transfer, it will probably work.

Note that there are cable length limits for passive USB cables, which depend on the bandwidth. For USB 2.0 (480 Mbps), the maximum recommended cable length is 5 meters (16 feet).

Return to Live Production