Post Production Media Files

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

axemanbrill

Post Production Media Files

PostTue Nov 28, 2023 11:25 pm

Hey All,

Trying to get an idea on managing my workstation storage. When you are done with a video project, publish it, post it, etc., what do you do with all your clips and media you used to create your video project? Do you keep it? Do you delete it? Do you store it in some other offline storage media?

I've been doing this for about 2 years, and have about two dozen videos posted online. I mostly do guitar covers of songs, and have a lot of angles, close ups, etc of my playing, so I have a lot of clips, and a lot of unused minutes of video clips. They are chewing up a lot of storage on my computer, but curious if I should hold on to it, or delete it, or what!? I already posted the video, it's very unlikely I will redo the video, and repost it again, so aren't all those media clips kind of useless to me now? Or should I still hold on to it? Just curious what others are doing, and/or suggest.

If you want to check out some of my guitar videos, you can check them out here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... WHeb7Lmskz

Thanks in advance!

Uli Plank

• Warnings: 1

Re: Post Production Media Files

PostWed Nov 29, 2023 1:20 am

If you don't work for clients, only you can judge that.
There are several possibilities:

- One is keeping a whole archive, which can be huge.
- Another is Media management, which can separate the parts that where actually used (with some caveats).
- The third is keeping a high quality master of your final version, like DNxHR, ProRes, or Cineform.
These can be uploaded to YT if short enough, or be used for future codecs on the web.
My desaster protection: export a .drp file to a physically separated storage regularly.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.7, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM
Sonoma 14.5 with 19b5 (sandbox)
SE, USM G3

Return to Post Production