SoundDevice MixPre-D output gain

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

MaxEmanuel

SoundDevice MixPre-D output gain

PostSat Nov 30, 2013 12:54 pm

Hello, after seeing some reviews and examples of the BMCC+MixPre-D workflow I bought one myself. The BMCC is set to 25% Line Ch1 and the SoundDevice Testtone is set to 0db. Sadly my BMCC is showing me only about -40db. So if I change the input Setting on the BMCC from 25% to 65% the sound is moving up to -30 db but it is also becoming too noisy to use it.

If I'm using Peter's setting (Line 85%) it is becoming way to noisy. I have the same problem on all three BMCCs and I really wonder how Peter was able to pick up such an great sound record? He was using the same stuff I have:

I wonder if there is any way how I can set output gain higher on the MixPre-D?

Thanks, Max!
Max Biber // BIBERFILM // Germany

Frank Glencairn

Re: SoundDevice MixPre-D output gain

PostSat Nov 30, 2013 1:02 pm

Try mic instead of line on the BMC
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

adamroberts

PostSat Nov 30, 2013 1:15 pm

Frank Glencairn wrote:Try mic instead of line on the BMC

+1

MaxEmanuel

PostSat Nov 30, 2013 1:20 pm

I've set the BMCC to Mic as well as the SoundDevice and I'm having basically the same result.
About 3-5% better than before but still not usable...

Is there a special other setting or percentage to go for?

BTW: If I'm going in the cam directly with my Sennheiser ME66 the sound is much better. Almost no noise at all...

Frank Glencairn

PostSat Nov 30, 2013 2:50 pm

No no,

Set the SD to line, and the BM to mic (35% gain for starters) - begin careful with lowest gain on the SD and adjust till you are happy)

And yeah, make sure you have proper balanced cables and plugs.

Denny Smith

PostSat Nov 30, 2013 7:16 pm

Back off gain on MixPre. You do not want any preamp, and the MixPre set at max gain when recording. I use the test tone set at 100-percent (0dB) to balance MixPre, camera and any external recorder to "Unity" or meters on MixPre show actual levels. When recording back off preamp gain until noise in camera monitor is gone, but good audio level remains.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Chris Hocking

PostMon Dec 02, 2013 10:48 am

It depends on what firmware version you're using.

This information might be of some help.

MaxEmanuel

PostTue Dec 03, 2013 3:49 pm

Thanks guys, sadly (probably cause of the new firmware) mixpre line out to mic in on bmcc doesn't work either. The Sound overrides heavily even under 10% setting or lower. Because I had have a shooting yesterday I've bought a Zoom H4N which was working of course. To solve the problem over all I've ordered a JuicedLink RM202 today.

So the way would be Sennheiser ME66 to SoundDevice MixPre-D to JuicedLink RM202 to Blackmagic Cinema Camera EF.

I really hop this will work... :?

Chris Hocking

PostTue Dec 03, 2013 9:22 pm

maxemanuel wrote:Thanks guys, sadly (probably cause of the new firmware) mixpre line out to mic in on bmcc doesn't work either. The Sound overrides heavily even under 10% setting or lower.

Something's not right there. You should definitely have no issues getting sound out of the MixPre and into the BMCC, regardless of whether you're using the 1.2 or 1.3 firmware.

As Frank mentioned, make sure you have proper balanced cables and plugs.

Haavard Helle

PostTue Dec 03, 2013 9:24 pm

Hello maxemanuel.

I have been using the Mixpre-D with the Blackmagic for a while without any problems.

Can you please tell us your exact setup and I'm sure we could figure out what is wrong.
Please forgive me if some questions are a bit basic, I just want to make sure we cover everything!

What sort of cables are you using in your setup?
Are the inputs on the pre-amp set with the correct settings? +48 phantom power/mic/line?

Which outputs are you using from the MixPre-D?
The XLR outputs are the only one that outputs +4, when set to line level output on each of the XLR outs.

Even when I ran a test at 100% line level on the BMCC, I still got perfectly clear audio.

MaxEmanuel

PostWed Dec 04, 2013 6:35 am

Sure, I'm using a pretty simple setup.

1. Sennheiser ME66/K6P
into
2. MixPre-D Input Ch1 48V+
into
3. MixPre-D Output L+R (set on line or mic)
into
4. BMCC with Balanced Stereo cables (BMCC set on line or mic)

- if I set both to line the sound in the BMCC is very low and noisy
- if I set both to mic the sound in the BMCC is even more noise and even lower
- if I set the BMCC to mic and the MixPre-D to line there is a very high input which overrides even in the lowest input settings

Only the PreAmp setting you were talking about I'm not sure. As far as the manual goes it is set up in the right way. The only thing I was wondering about is if there is something like a controllable output gain like on the a JuicedLink.

This is a short example line to line, bmcc set to 65% and ad raised up in post to -3b.

http://www.biberfilm.de/server/test.wav

Robert Niessner

PostWed Dec 04, 2013 7:43 am

Especially the Sennheiser ME66 has a very high output, so there is definitely a problem with the setup.
Are you sure you had the K6-P switched on, when using it on the MixPre-D 48+ ?
Do you have the K6-P or the K6 powering module?
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

MaxEmanuel

PostWed Dec 04, 2013 7:52 am

Robert Niessner wrote:Especially the Sennheiser ME66 has a very high output, so there is definitely a problem with the setup.
Are you sure you had the K6-P switched on, when using it on the MixPre-D 48+ ?
Do you have the K6-P or the K6 powering module?

Yes Sir, I am sure ;) The ME66 is working fine on every other camera and so is the sound device. The BMCC is all right too cause it is new and I had have the same problem with my other ones too.

Rob Fasold

PostWed Dec 04, 2013 8:09 am

maxemanuel wrote:Thanks guys, sadly (probably cause of the new firmware) mixpre line out to mic in on bmcc doesn't work either. The Sound overrides heavily even under 10% setting or lower. Because I had have a shooting yesterday I've bought a Zoom H4N which was working of course. To solve the problem over all I've ordered a JuicedLink RM202 today.

So the way would be Sennheiser ME66 to SoundDevice MixPre-D to JuicedLink RM202 to Blackmagic Cinema Camera EF.

I really hop this will work... :?

You don't need the juiced-link since you already have the mix-pre - both are preamps which means you'd be plugging a preamp into a preamp, and with phantom power going on every device you're bound to f#ck something up.

Also, if the LINE OUTPUT of your mixpre is plugged into your bmcc, DO NOT chose the MIC option on the bmcc audio input setting since it is going to apply gain to what it thinks is a mic level signal (maximum typically ~20mV) which is basically a repeat of the step you shouldn't be doing above (i.e. preamp into preamp). This is a good way to fry your gear.

The K6P part of your mic is providing the mic's phantom power which makes it unnecessary to activate the phantom power on the mixpre. Put another way, if your going to use phantom power on the mixpre (+48V) do not turn the mic on (set the mic's on/off switch to OFF) unless instructed otherwise in the mic's operation manual.

Try again with the mic -power switch set to off- plugged into the LEFT XLR INPUT of the mixpre (phantom power set to ON). Connect the mixrpre's LEFT XLR OUTPUT to the bmcc's LEFT INPUT. Make sure the bmcc is set to LINE at the LOWEST (0%) setting. Press record on the camera and toggle the mixpre's test tone. Stop recording, increase the line input setting by one step (5%) and repeat steps until you reach 100%. Are the loudest test tones still at -40db? Have you tried monitoring from the mixpre's headphone output? Do you have another cable you can try? Feel free to post your wave files here and I'll DL them if you need any additional help.

Good luck.

Rob Fasold

PostWed Dec 04, 2013 8:16 am

Actually, you should do the test above without even plugging in the mic since at this point you just want to know if the line input of your bmcc is working properly. Have you tried the mixpre into the H4N?

MaxEmanuel

PostWed Dec 04, 2013 8:17 am

Thank you, I've tried it right now and it is becoming a tiny bit better!

The maximum level under this setup is -22db at 100% BMCC gain or -26db at 65% BMCC gain.

Sadly the sound is still a bit noisy - almost same as the wav file I've posted before.

The MixPre-D Headphones giving me a clear and crisp signal without any noisy what so ever.
Recording from the MixPre into the H4N does also give me great results.

These are some test clips from a interview I shot these days. Using the same ME66 Mic, SoundDevice MixPre-D recorded on h4N + Shot on BMCC. https://vimeo.com/biberfilm/review/80802760/3c34e29cd0

Never mind the picture Quality it was a fast shooting and it's not graded yet.

Robert Niessner

PostWed Dec 04, 2013 8:45 am

@ spacwig
Actually the K6P is the version without built in phantom power. Only the K6 has phantom power optional supplied by a battery.
And Sennheiser says that when you supply external phantom power to the K6, the internal one gets deactivated automatically.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Rob Fasold

PostWed Dec 04, 2013 2:46 pm

maxemanuel wrote:Thank you, I've tried it right now and it is becoming a tiny bit better!

The maximum level under this setup is -22db at 100% BMCC gain or -26db at 65% BMCC gain.

Maximum level of the test tone you've recorded using the method I described?

Denny Smith

PostWed Dec 04, 2013 7:28 pm

I have used the ME66 with the SD MixPre, no issues, great location mic. You need to plug the mic into SD with "Mic" setting, not line in. Next out needs to match camera, XLR cable to TRS balanced plug (not T/S unbalanced) cable to camera, if outputting line on SD, set camera to "Line" in, or if setting MixPre to "Mic" out (a lower signal level) set camera to Mic in.

I would recommend trying to use line out of SD to "Line in" on camera for more control. You should try it both ways, but NOT line out to Mic in or Mic out to line in, as this is a mismatch in signal levels and impedance, which will cause "noise" issues.

My the way, the K6-P does require 12-48VDC phantom power, make sure it is switched on too.

If still having problems, check your cables, could have a bad connection in cable somewhere, use a meter, and check each pin connection for both shorts, and connection between TRS and XLRS pins.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

shayanjameel08

PostThu Dec 05, 2013 4:51 am

Yeah headphone output level is controlled by the front panel Headphone ... Sound Devices...!

MaxEmanuel

PostTue Dec 10, 2013 11:22 am

Thanks for your help guys. I think I've found the failure on my setup. As soon as I even slightly touch the cables close to the BMCCs Audio connection I can hear heavy 'noise'. This is happening on two of my three BMCCs. I can't tell about the third one yet cause it's out shooting right now. However, I've tried the different sets of cables and there was no difference :|

Finally I made the decision to use external Audio recording from now on. Right now I'm testing the Zoom H4N, H6 & the Roland R-26.... ;)

Haavard Helle

PostTue Dec 10, 2013 12:41 pm

Maybe your XLR to TRS cables are unbalanced, I have not tried unbalanced cables on the camera, but it would be likely that they would be unable to cancel out the hum from various sources.

Try a different pair of cables that you know are balanced going from Mixpre-D to camera, also check you microphone cable just to be sure. If the sound is clean on the Mixpre-D monitor, then just change the cables running to the camera.

Haavard Helle

PostTue Dec 10, 2013 12:45 pm

Missed the last part of what Denny said, posting from mobile, so there was a bit of overlap there. Hope you get it sorted soon!

MaxEmanuel

PostTue Dec 10, 2013 4:09 pm

haavard wrote:Maybe your XLR to TRS cables are unbalanced, I have not tried unbalanced cables on the camera, but it would be likely that they would be unable to cancel out the hum from various sources.

Try a different pair of cables that you know are balanced going from Mixpre-D to camera, also check you microphone cable just to be sure. If the sound is clean on the Mixpre-D monitor, then just change the cables running to the camera.

I've changed everything and it is still not acceptable. Sad but I'll go with external sound recording.

Frank Glencairn

PostTue Dec 10, 2013 6:10 pm

maxemanuel wrote:Thanks for your help guys. I think I've found the failure on my setup. As soon as I even slightly touch the cables close to the BMCCs Audio connection I can hear heavy 'noise'.

)

Ground loop? Same happens if you have the ground switch on the JuicedLink set in the wrong position.
Are you sure your cables are configured mono balanced with 3 wires?

image005.gif
image005.gif (5.62 KiB) Viewed 16000 times

vs this

tumblr_mc9j46PA3P1qf00w4.png
tumblr_mc9j46PA3P1qf00w4.png (37.18 KiB) Viewed 16052 times
Last edited by Frank Glencairn on Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Denny Smith

PostTue Dec 10, 2013 9:24 pm

Your example is good, but connecting pins 1-3 results in a "quasi balanced! and is done when you want to direct connect an unbalanced output to a balanced input. As explained below, connecting 1-3 in a differential balanced system may allow interference in the signal path and reducing one of the main reasons to use balanced connections -- rejection of unwanted signals from external sources via induction. Some amps will use a transformer or other device which results in 1-3 being connected. This is ok, but you should keep cables connected as shown in the 2nd example with out any jumpers between pins.

Balanced audio connections use a number of techniques to reduce noise.
A typical balanced cable contains two identical wires, which are twisted together and then wrapped with a third conductor (foil or braid) that acts as a shield. The two wires form a circuit carrying the audio signal; one wire is in phase with respect to the source signal, the other wire is reversed in polarity, which is also referred to as being 180° out of phase at all frequencies. The in-phase wire is called non-inverting, positive or "hot" while the out-of-phase wire is called inverting, phase-inverted, anti-phase, negative or "cold". The hot and cold connections are often shown as In+ and In− ("in plus" and "in minus") on circuit diagrams.[1]

The term "balanced" comes from the method of connecting each wire to identical impedances at source and load. This means that much of the electromagnetic interference will induce an equal noise voltage in each wire. Since the amplifier at the far end measures the difference in voltage between the two signal lines, noise that is identical on both wires is rejected. The noise received in the second, inverted line is applied against the first, upright signal, and cancels it out when the two signals are subtracted.
This differential signal recombination can be implemented with a differential amplifier. A balun may also be used instead of an active differential amplifier device.
The wires are also twisted together, to reduce interference from electromagnetic induction. A twisted pair makes the loop area between the conductors as small as possible, and ensures that a magnetic field that passes equally through adjacent loops will induce equal levels of noise on both lines, which is canceled out by the differential amplifier. If the noise source is extremely close to the cable, then it is possible it will be induced on one of the lines more than the other, and it won't be canceled as well, but canceling will still occur to the extent of the amount of noise that is equal on both lines.
The separate shield of a balanced audio connection also yields a noise rejection advantage over an unbalanced two-conductor arrangement (such as used in typical home stereos) where the shield must also act as the signal return wire. Any noise currents induced into a balanced audio shield will not therefore be directly modulated onto the signal, whereas in a two-conductor system they will be. This also prevents ground loop problems, by separating the shield/chassis from signal ground.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Chris Hocking

PostTue Dec 10, 2013 9:26 pm

I think you missed the point Denny. Frank was showing the differences between an unbalanced and balanced cable - hence the "vs this".

Denny Smith

PostTue Dec 10, 2013 9:36 pm

Thanks, I got that Chris, but his first diagram the left side is labeled "unbalanced" and is correct, however, the right side diagram of the XLR is labeled "Balanced" and still shows pins 1-3 jumped?

Balanced vs unbalanced is a confusing subject, with all the changes in applications over the years. Thought this explanation would help clear some of this up.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Frank Glencairn

PostWed Dec 11, 2013 7:27 am

Yeah, wasn't the best image, I changed it.

MaxEmanuel

PostWed Dec 11, 2013 4:58 pm

So, I've been to a local Audio Dealer (Thomann) today and they handcrafted me a complete new Set of cables - Goldplated Sommer Cables and I'm using a brand new Sennheiser ME66 Microphone.

This is how it sounds now: http://www.biberfilm.de/server/test2.mp3

Sadly still now where to acceptable for me... :x
Last edited by MaxEmanuel on Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeroen van Bruggen

PostWed Dec 11, 2013 6:01 pm

Frank, are you using the MixPreD? Are you having good results with your cables soldered cables like you shows in the diagram? I'm having the same trouble as Maxemanuel has. Really strange. Really low signal level and a very high noise level. It would be great to hear experiences from someone having the MixPreD and the BMCC working like they should!

MaxEmanuel

PostWed Dec 11, 2013 6:02 pm

Jeroen van Bruggen wrote:Frank, are you using the MixPreD? Are you having good results with your cables soldered cables like you shows in the diagram? I'm having the same trouble as Maxemanuel has. Really strange. Really low signal level and a very high noise level. It would be great to hear experiences from someone having the MixPreD and the BMCC working like they should!

+1 ;)

Jeroen van Bruggen

PostWed Dec 11, 2013 6:27 pm

Maxemanuel, Do you know how the cables are soldered by thoman? Same as in the diagram of Frank?

Frank Glencairn

PostWed Dec 11, 2013 7:15 pm

Jeroen van Bruggen wrote:Frank, are you using the MixPreD? Are you having good results with your cables soldered cables like you shows in the diagram? I'm having the same trouble as Maxemanuel has. Really strange. Really low signal level and a very high noise level. It would be great to hear experiences from someone having the MixPreD and the BMCC working like they should!

No, I'm using two Juiced Link preamps, so I can't speak for the MixPre. Sorry.

MaxEmanuel

PostWed Dec 11, 2013 9:15 pm

Jeroen van Bruggen wrote:Maxemanuel, Do you know how the cables are soldered by thoman? Same as in the diagram of Frank?

One pair was made the same way and another the way the technician thought it would be best. However both giving me the same poor results. It's a tiny bit better now - probably cause of the highly expensive cables - but not acceptable yet.

A couple of days ago 'haavard' wrote that he is using the same equipment like we do and it's working fine...

If he would have the same problems like us, I would say the MixPre-D needs another preamp like the juiced link in front of the cam.

After all the Changes my Signal is now at -20db tops but still very noisy.

Denny Smith

PostWed Dec 11, 2013 9:20 pm

Can you post a photo of the 1/4-inch side of the cables? If you have a ohm meter, can you check to see if middle contact and sleeve (bottom contact) are shorted (0 ohms). It should show on meter as if you were not taking a reading.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

gee

PostWed Dec 11, 2013 9:51 pm

Why not try rolling back to firmware 1.2.1, it's in the archived driver section on the blackmagic site. Firmware 1.2.1 has considerable more signal input than the later versions of the camera firmware.

Chris Hocking

PostWed Dec 11, 2013 10:51 pm

maxemanuel wrote:This is how it sounds now: http://www.biberfilm.de/server/test2.mp3

Ummm... It's definitely pretty noisy, but I wonder if that's just mic placement?

Here's some tests we did a while back: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7829#p52514

MaxEmanuel

PostWed Dec 11, 2013 11:43 pm

Chris Hocking wrote:
maxemanuel wrote:This is how it sounds now: http://www.biberfilm.de/server/test2.mp3

Ummm... It's definitely pretty noisy, but I wonder if that's just mic placement?

Here's some tests we did a while back: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7829#p52514

Sadly the noise is always in there, no different if I choose another mic or if i place it somewhere else.

MaxEmanuel

PostWed Dec 11, 2013 11:45 pm

gee wrote:Why not try rolling back to firmware 1.2.1, it's in the archived driver section on the blackmagic site. Firmware 1.2.1 has considerable more signal input than the later versions of the camera firmware.

I did it right now and sadly my Screen is showing strange horizontal lines... Restart etc. did not fix it.

But Audio is louder - sadly still noisy :(
Last edited by MaxEmanuel on Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Hocking

PostWed Dec 11, 2013 11:47 pm

maxemanuel wrote:Sadly the noise is always in there, no different if I choose another mic or if i place it somewhere else.

maxemanuel wrote:I did it right now and sadly my Screen is showing strange horizontal lines... Restart etc. did not fix it.

I'd contact support. Sounds like you might have faulty hardware.

MaxEmanuel

PostWed Dec 11, 2013 11:49 pm

Chris Hocking wrote:
maxemanuel wrote:Sadly the noise is always in there, no different if I choose another mic or if i place it somewhere else.

maxemanuel wrote:I did it right now and sadly my Screen is showing strange horizontal lines... Restart etc. did not fix it.

I'd contact support. Sounds like you might have faulty hardware.

Yeah, that's what I did today. Number three within one year that has to go to the service :?

George E. Kennedy, Jr.

PostThu Dec 12, 2013 12:14 am

Haven't had any issues with the 2 I use with my BMCC's.
gek, jr.

MaxEmanuel

PostThu Dec 12, 2013 8:45 am

George E. Kennedy, Jr. wrote:Haven't had any issues with the 2 I use with my BMCC's.

Well, all in all we hat 9 since they came out and 6 of them were working absolutely perfect ;)

Jeroen van Bruggen

PostThu Dec 12, 2013 10:31 pm

Denny wrote:Can you post a photo of the 1/4-inch side of the cables? If you have a ohm meter, can you check to see if middle contact and sleeve (bottom contact) are shorted (0 ohms). It should show on meter as if you were not taking a reading.

I thought about trying to solder the cable of Frank Glencairn but now I see the post above and the one of Maxemanuel that he tried the same wiring and stil has poor result. Did you actually send it in for service?

MaxEmanuel

PostFri Dec 13, 2013 11:34 am

I'll send the BMCC in on Monday but I'm not sure it will change much.

As far as I can see the MixPre-D needs another preamp on the way to the BMCC.

who2host

PostFri Dec 13, 2013 11:45 pm

I'm also having this problem. Balanced 1/4" cables from Firestudio Mobile main (balanced) out to BMCC in (set to line). With both cranked all the way up I can only get -12db of gain...max.

Christopher Barry

PostSat Dec 14, 2013 12:39 am

maxemanuel wrote:
George E. Kennedy, Jr. wrote:Haven't had any issues with the 2 I use with my BMCC's.

Well, all in all we hat 9 since they came out and 6 of them were working absolutely perfect ;)

Max, are you saying you had satisfactory audio recorded via a MixPre-D with the other 6 BMCC's you had/have?

Are other users taking Line out via XLR (+4dB) from the MixPre-D to Line or Mic input with balanced cables into BMCC to obtain best audio under firmware 1.3+ ?

I hope there is a BMCC firmware present coming on or before the end of this month.

Rob Fasold

PostSat Dec 14, 2013 6:57 am

@maxemanuel
You don't need to put a preamp between the Mixpre and your camera and even thinking that this is a good idea utterly betrays your complete lack of knowledge about audio. Did no one at Thomann explain this to you? I wrote a post above and addressed this specific issue, did you not read it? Furthermore, spending more money on a Roland R-26 when you already have a Mixpre seems equally ridiculous, like buying a Corvette to get you from the front door of the house to the Ferrari in the driveway. And no, you are not hearing an improvement because your cables are expensive but boy do they love guys like you in audio stores...

Listen: go back to Thomann with your Mixpre and pay someone who knows what they're doing to test it to make sure it works properly. If the unit is broken, get it fixed. If the Mixpre works fine then the problem is either:

A) The camera is ******
B) You don't know what you're doing

The camera can be fixed/replaced.

Jules Bushell

PostSat Dec 14, 2013 9:09 am

I am wondering if everyone has the same BMCC? By that I mean do all BMCCs have the same audio circuitry in them or do bits get swapped in and out during different production runs of the camera?

It seems that some people can cope with firmware 1.3+ for audio easier then others. Myself I couldn't get anything close to a decent level so downgraded to 1.2 and everything was fine from then on, providing I did the fix for the DC offset of course.

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk
Next

Return to Cinematography