Camera turns itself on BMCC

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

gr8pics

Camera turns itself on BMCC

PostWed Dec 11, 2013 10:20 pm

It happens quite often, which results in a drained battery when im going to use it, not very convenient...
Others?
Last edited by gr8pics on Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris D
www.medicall-app.com

K.Roach

Re: Camera turns itself on

PostThu Dec 12, 2013 1:39 am

Seems a common problem...

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=14967

gr8pics

PostThu Dec 12, 2013 8:35 am

Thanks!
A serious problem if you ask me...
Chris D
www.medicall-app.com

alex.feichter

PostThu Dec 12, 2013 9:25 am

It happens if you press the power button too long so basically you turn it back on.

gr8pics

PostThu Dec 12, 2013 12:57 pm

It happens no matter what i do here, long or short press, it sometimes takes minutes, and sometimes hours, also with and without charger plugged in, it seems to occur more and more often.
Fully charged this morning, and turned itself on, turned it off again, sometime during the past 3 hours, it has turned back on again, no charger plugged in, and now battery is almost empty.

If i have to ship it back to BM, pay 100$ and wait two weeks without camera, im for sure not buying the 4k as planned, cause this is far from a pro camera, even if it is, but just theoretically, or IF it works, 100% unreliable and useless for pro work.
So far im not impressed with the overall feeling of this camera, i mean, what good is 13 stops of dynamic range and raw, if you never know when it works :cry:
Chris D
www.medicall-app.com

Haavard Helle

PostThu Dec 12, 2013 1:49 pm

Hei gr8pics. If you have to ship it back for service under warranty, Blackmagic will arrange a courier service to pick it up or similar shipping procedure. That's what I did for my first BMCC camera that needed to adjust the EF-mount. Just get in touch with them to see what your options are, but you should not have to pay for product faults, while still under warranty.

Haavard Helle

PostThu Dec 12, 2013 1:52 pm

You do not have to send it to Australia, there is at least one service centre in the England, maybe that is the closest one, but it still might take a couple of weeks.

Tom Sefton

PostThu Dec 12, 2013 2:36 pm

happens to ours too. V. frustrating, and happens most often when plugged into an external battery. Worst thing is when it happens after you have switched off to change lenses and taken one off!
Tom Sefton
Owner
Pollen Studio
www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Ulysses Paiva

PostThu Dec 12, 2013 2:43 pm

Well, I agree you need to get used to the button press. It happened to me a few times when I started using mine, but I quickly got used to it and had never this problem again.

I remember a post here from someone complaining about the same thing. The camera simply was turnin on randomly. Maybe its a real flaw. Please, try it for a bit more to see if its a easy thing to correct so you dont need to go through the hassle of sending it back and wait.
Ulysses Paiva

gr8pics

PostThu Dec 12, 2013 3:07 pm

Ulysses Paiva wrote:Well, I agree you need to get used to the button press. It happened to me a few times when I started using mine, but I quickly got used to it and had never this problem again.

What do you mean, button press doesnt make a difference, at least not for me...
Chris D
www.medicall-app.com

Mac Jaeger

PostThu Dec 12, 2013 6:06 pm

There's two different issues: the one thing is correctly switching off the camera. You have to press the power button long enough to be recognized, but not too long, otherwise it will instantly restart the camera - ok, that's not an issue, that's just how this camera works. But there also seems to be a real issue, where some cameras tend to turn themselves on at a random time, sometimes hours after they had been shut down. This might be as simple as some silly metal scrapings flying loose near the power switch contacts, but it might be something completely different as well. Luckily this second issue has been reported only by a few people in this forum, so it's no design flaw.

gr8pics

PostThu Dec 12, 2013 6:22 pm

Mac Jaeger wrote:This might be as simple as some silly metal scrapings flying loose near the power switch contacts

What, metal scrapings flying loose? Please explain that more detailed.
Chris D
www.medicall-app.com

karoliinasalmin

PostThu Dec 12, 2013 8:11 pm

This has something to do with the BMCC hardware:
- The pre-production camera I was testing in early fall had this problem. Had to always turn it off two times. Also the battery indication on that camera was like this: first it showed 100%, turn it off, turn on, then it was showing 25%, turn off, turn, on and it was showing 50% or sometimes 75%. And then after several minutes it would conclude battery is empty and it would turn off. This camera was impossible to use without external battery. The battery circuit was not working properly on that camera and the battery was also probably damaged.
- The camera I then bought recently, does not have this, it turns on and off consistently. And if I let it stay couple of days without turning it on, it still shows 100%. I can really shoot with my camera without external battery solution something before it gets empty.

So I would think if a camera is doing this on-off-on-off thing, I would suggest checking that with BM if it needs service - based on my experiences with my camera, it should not do that, and my camera does not do that.
BMCC 2.5K EF

gr8pics

PostThu Dec 12, 2013 8:24 pm

There are at least some strange behavior inside it,

Got mail from BM support, which instructed me to update to 151, even if it just concerned the PC, jusst to reflash the fw.
So i did, and when i tried to turn of the camera after flashing, it simply wouldnt turn of, i managed a couple of times to shut it off for 30-60 secs before it came on again, then i had to unplug the charger, then it stayed off.
After 30 min i plugged in the charger again, and its still off, strange thing this is...
I will monitor it for a couple of days now to see how it goes...
Chris D
www.medicall-app.com

Chris Chiasson

PostFri Dec 13, 2013 2:33 am

Had the same problem. The best work around is just pull the battery out until you plan on shooting again.

gr8pics

PostFri Dec 13, 2013 8:06 am

Chris Chiasson wrote:Had the same problem. The best work around is just pull the battery out until you plan on shooting again.

Of course, and then void the guarantee...
Chris D
www.medicall-app.com

Dwight Farmer

PostFri Dec 13, 2013 6:32 pm

Chris Chiasson wrote:Had the same problem. The best work around is just pull the battery out until you plan on shooting again.

He is using the BMCC not the Pocket Camera.

Chris Chiasson

Re: Camera turns itself on BMCC

PostSat Dec 14, 2013 2:11 am

Yeah, I was talking about with the Pocket, which I had the same problem. So the issue is the same on both cameras.

Thomas Schumacher

PostSat Dec 14, 2013 8:58 am

Seems to be rather a feature than a bug - bug would be if the camera turned OFF not ON.
https://www.gernemehrfilm.de/

Jules Bushell

PostSat Dec 14, 2013 9:13 am

Mine will turn itself back on if I keep my finger down on the power button for too long.
Sometimes it does want to stay on when you plug it in after repeatedly turning it off. The best is to unplug the power and then it will stay off if it doesn't turn itself back on in the next 5 seconds.

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

gr8pics

PostSat Dec 14, 2013 9:34 am

Jules Bushell wrote:Mine will turn itself back on if I keep my finger down on the power button for too long.
Sometimes it does want to stay on when you plug it in after repeatedly turning it off. The best is to unplug the power and then it will stay off if it doesn't turn itself back on in the next 5 seconds.

Jules

It seems to be different experiences with this problem, for me its totally random, with or without power adaptor, sometimes it takes hours before it turns on again, sometimes, minutes and seconds, also the other way, it turns itself off again, the same random pattern, apart from where you dont have the power adaptor connected, and it turns itself on, then it will stay on until the battery is drained...

This one is going back to BM.
Chris D
www.medicall-app.com

Thomas Schumacher

PostWed Dec 18, 2013 7:21 pm

ups, deleted, forget what i wrote, plz. was handling it wrong :oops:
https://www.gernemehrfilm.de/

gr8pics

PostMon Jan 20, 2014 9:50 pm

My camera was returned with a RMA, got a brand new one back today, already installed with 1.5.1
My guess is that this problem is a batch of bad components they simply replace without repairing...
Looks like ive got one from the latest production batches, since 1.5.1 came preinstalled.
Hope they got rid of all the earlier issues reported and that i can start using it for prowork now ;)
Chris D
www.medicall-app.com

Buck Kahler

PostFri Jul 25, 2014 10:07 pm

This is happening with the Production 4k as well. My shoot was ruined (after a 4-hour drive to the location!)

Return to Cinematography