Good Tutorial on Sensor/Cover Glass Cleaning

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

tvsterling

Good Tutorial on Sensor/Cover Glass Cleaning

PostSun Dec 15, 2013 5:49 pm

The best site I have found so far on sensor/cover glass cleaning is; http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/index.html by Micro-Tools or Fargo. It is very complete & forthcoming about all the various cleaning methods. They also sell just about all the kits, tools, brushes, fluids etc to do the cleaning at good prices. Well worth checking out.

tvsterling

Re: Good Tutorial on Sensor/Cover Glass Cleaning

PostSun Dec 15, 2013 10:48 pm

You are entitled to your opinion Geoff but read the tutorial just the same. This goes for everyone else. Read the tutorial before you make up your mind. As a point of fact the only cleaning procedures specifically used & recommended by any camera manufacturers are wet cleaning. The best fluid is a special ultra pure methanol. Even then excess fluid can get under the glass & ruin the sensor too. Lens Pen has a good dry cleaning pen based on their graphite technology specifically for sensors. The whole subject is complex & the authors consulted extensively with manufacturers & technicians who clean sensors for a living. Some DSLR manufacturers void your warranty if they see that you attempted cleaning & DSLRs mostly have to be junked if the Low Pass Filter gets scratched because the whole thing is a sealed unit. Some manufacturers of DSLRs give cleaning instructions in their manuals. I would like to know if Blackmagic has a position on all this. I had no choice but to clean & I'm glad I found this resource.

Uli Plank

Re: Good Tutorial on Sensor/Cover Glass Cleaning

PostMon Dec 16, 2013 10:04 am

AFAIK pure Methanol is non-conductive.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Return to Cinematography