Camera v1.5.1 available

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jason R. Johnston

Re: Camera v1.5.1 available

PostFri Dec 20, 2013 5:08 am

I don't understand how you know that BMD isn't working on BMCC firmware and only focusing on the Pocket when they've stated multiple times that they are working on BMCC firmware. What I do see is BMD making all camera firmware as close to equal as much as possible. A 0.1 difference in firmware versions is pretty close to equal to 0.0 so, again, I don't understand what you're complaining about. How about this: be a pro like you say you are and wait patiently for the firmware updates. Or keep yourself up late at night mad that it isn't here yet and complain about it like it helps. It's like inching closer to a stale red traffic light...it doesn't make it change to green any faster. BMD said firmware updates for BMCC are coming and I believe them. Meanwhile, my camera's already paid for itself a few times over and I, and my clients, couldn't be happier with the images it's helped me produce.
JASONRJOHNSTON.COM | CINEMATOGRAPHER | DIRECTOR | EDITOR | COLORIST
RED Komodo | DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 | 2023 MacBook M2 Pro 14

muratcangokce

PostFri Dec 20, 2013 8:22 am

Jason R. Johnston wrote:I don't understand how you know that BMD isn't working on BMCC firmware and only focusing on the Pocket when they've stated multiple times that they are working on BMCC firmware. What I do see is BMD making all camera firmware as close to equal as much as possible. A 0.1 difference in firmware versions is pretty close to equal to 0.0 so, again, I don't understand what you're complaining about. How about this: be a pro like you say you are and wait patiently for the firmware updates. Or keep yourself up late at night mad that it isn't here yet and complain about it like it helps. It's like inching closer to a stale red traffic light...it doesn't make it change to green any faster. BMD said firmware updates for BMCC are coming and I believe them. Meanwhile, my camera's already paid for itself a few times over and I, and my clients, couldn't be happier with the images it's helped me produce.

I didn't mention that they are not working on. I am sure they are working but since they mentioned there will be some updates to fix the camera and add more features.

I meant, they are too slow... Incredebly... While we are waiting for a update it would be nice if they tell what they will add on update and when it is gonna be released (a reliable deadline).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
www.muratcan.film

muratcangokce

PostFri Dec 20, 2013 8:29 am

Jason R. Johnston wrote:I don't understand how you know that BMD isn't working on BMCC firmware and only focusing on the Pocket when they've stated multiple times that they are working on BMCC firmware. What I do see is BMD making all camera firmware as close to equal as much as possible. A 0.1 difference in firmware versions is pretty close to equal to 0.0 so, again, I don't understand what you're complaining about. How about this: be a pro like you say you are and wait patiently for the firmware updates. Or keep yourself up late at night mad that it isn't here yet and complain about it like it helps. It's like inching closer to a stale red traffic light...it doesn't make it change to green any faster. BMD said firmware updates for BMCC are coming and I believe them. Meanwhile, my camera's already paid for itself a few times over and I, and my clients, couldn't be happier with the images it's helped me produce.

Btw jason, compressed dng recording added with a 0.1 update to pocket cam.

You can say I am an unprofessional because of complaining about them, but I feel they are unprofessional too. Basicly, I want them a bit more connected with their users.

Also I didn't said anything negative about the image that comes from the cameras. I absolutely in love the image when we think of its price. Maybe all of these can be related with price.. Good image for a reasonable price but lack of updates.

www.muratcan.film

RB3tv

PostFri Dec 20, 2013 10:11 am

I've been hearing, 2 to 4 more weeks since April 2013.
All of these announcements mean nothing until they are real.

Rob Ford

PostFri Dec 20, 2013 1:31 pm

At least this should be fullfilled ASAP.

muratcangokce wrote:I meant, they are too slow... Incredebly... While we are waiting for a update it would be nice if they tell what they will add on update and when it is gonna be released (a reliable deadline).

Maybe, just maybe - by the standards of which BMD works as a company, they are working on it ASAP.

Theodore Prentice

PostSat Dec 21, 2013 4:19 am

Geoff Baxter wrote:Too slow - Incredibly slow? By whose standards? As has been said several times in recent days, BMD have said on this forum and officially that they are working on updates for the camera. Have you not read these statements?

And I think it is incredibly presumptuous of you to establish a deadline for these updates of your own invention. What do you know of the processes involved or the amount of work that has to be done?

yawn...

slow by any sensible persons standards. Announcing new "cool features" coming soon, months ago = slow.
If r3d does it they are slow, why not bmd? (because we all know that where you all are going to go next with your argument)

Some of you applaud this in other threads ie: "hey take your time and get it right!".. you applaud them being slow and encourage it.. Honestly, why cant we call them slow, when they are??

Give it up, it is well accepted that bmd is SLOW.

Nick.Ingram

PostSat Dec 21, 2013 6:52 am

Theodore Prentice wrote:[
If r3d does it they are slow, why not bmd? (because we all know that where you all are going to go next with your argument)

Red employes from 201-500 people where as Black Magic employes 11-50 people.
Pretty easy to see why you shouldn't hold their production speeds to the same standard. Black Magic is a Boutique company who caters to a small select crowd.

I want the update just as much as anyone else, I just believe that you should know your facts before you complain about something. ;)

Theodore Prentice

PostSat Dec 21, 2013 1:33 pm

Nick.Ingram wrote:Red employes from 201-500 people where as Black Magic employes 11-50 people.
Pretty easy to see why you shouldn't hold their production speeds to the same standard. Black Magic is a Boutique company who caters to a small select crowd.

I want the update just as much as anyone else, I just believe that you should know your facts before you complain about something. ;)

r3d had 500 employees during development?

a small "select" crowd? :lol:
you fanboys know no limits

J Stutts

PostSat Dec 21, 2013 5:35 pm

We've all been waiting a long time. At this point I would just rather they get out the firmware and it be stable. If the camera works for you now, use it to it's full potential.
http://film.jstutts.com

gr8pics

PostSat Dec 21, 2013 5:38 pm

Jared Stutts wrote:We've all been waiting a long time. At this point I would just rather they get out the firmware and it be stable. If the camera works for you now, use it to it's full potential.

And if it dont?
Chris D
www.medicall-app.com

Theodore Prentice

PostSat Dec 21, 2013 5:54 pm

Jared Stutts wrote:We've all been waiting a long time. At this point I would just rather they get out the firmware and it be stable.

Amen.

its much of a dead horse issue at this point anyway.. it comes when it comes.

gr8pics

PostSat Dec 21, 2013 6:05 pm

Agree, meanwhile we can just ship the cameras back and forth to BMD every other week to get them fixed...
Chris D
www.medicall-app.com

Rob Ford

PostSat Dec 21, 2013 8:04 pm

Nick.Ingram wrote:
Theodore Prentice wrote:[

Red employes from 201-500 people where as Black Magic employes 11-50 people.

I think there was an interview posted with Grant on this forum a couple weeks ago, I believe he said his company has 300 employees.

shanepeters@bellsouth.net

PostSat Dec 21, 2013 8:58 pm

yes, and given the last few updates that were to pocket exclusively, my guess is most of those 300 are busy with pocket firmware and 4k release. Although I am sure there are a few held back to promote the next new camera they will announce at NAB, right before they drop our current camera pricing again by a third.

I own a BMCC, and now own a pocket, merely to have at least one of thier cameras with firmware updates that are more frequent.

sp

muratcangokce

PostSat Dec 21, 2013 9:41 pm

ok, let me ask to a few things to bmd crew.
I am sorry if a went harsh to anybody. This is nothing personal. I only can't accept since BMCC is a cinema camera as it is called we have to have some main features that added on BMPCC recently. It is too many months from latest BMCC update.

Can someone sum the features which are decided to be added on BMCC with next update. Is there anything certain?

I want to ask those things which I am not sure about how many of them mentioned earlier. Some of them would be never mentioned too. It would be nice if BMD crew can elaborate these questions with some serious info please.

1. When will BMCC be able to shoot compressed 2,5 raw?
2. Will there be any possibility to shoot 2,5K prores and compressed 1080hd raw?
3. Will we able to change SDI output lut without changing recording lut?
4. When will more WB selections be added?
5. When will audio meters be added?
6. When will deleting clips and formatting cards be possible in camera?

Thanks a lot.
www.muratcan.film

bhook

PostSun Dec 22, 2013 3:25 pm

muratcangokce wrote:Can someone sum the features which are decided to be added on BMCC with next update.

Cool new stuff.

Juan Rojas Mancha

PostMon Dec 23, 2013 1:00 am

mhood wrote:
muratcangokce wrote:Can someone sum the features which are decided to be added on BMCC with next update.

Cool new stuff.

a new type font in menu...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JL Rocheron

PostMon Dec 23, 2013 1:01 am

When will deleting clips and formatting cards be possible in camera? :(
JL Rocheron
Film Director - Stunt Coordinator
www.onde2choc.com

John Bartman

PostMon Dec 23, 2013 9:04 am

Grzegorz Styczen

PostMon Dec 23, 2013 9:56 am

John Bartman wrote:Image

Made my day :lol:

Mac Jaeger

PostMon Dec 23, 2013 2:08 pm

Just when i thought the bartman had left us for good... ;-)

nikotaro

PostTue Dec 24, 2013 6:21 pm

1 Guidelines for choosing frame size on the screen, 1:77 1:85 2:35 ...... as RED and ARRI Alexa has
2 More WB selections
3 Audio meters on the screen or in the Audio Menu
4 Deleting clips and formatting cards
5 2048/1080P ProRes HQ or 4444 as ARRI Alexa, Direct format of the frame for DCP

muratcangokce

PostTue Dec 24, 2013 11:01 pm

nikotaro wrote:1 Guidelines for choosing frame size on the screen, 1:77 1:85 2:35 ...... as RED and ARRI Alexa has
2 More WB selections
5 2048/1080P ProRes HQ or 4444 as ARRI Alexa, Direct format of the frame for DCP

hahaa.. I think, this is too much for its price. But it doesn't meant that I don't want them in the camera. (If I won't sell it.)
www.muratcan.film

PostWed Dec 25, 2013 2:15 pm

hey everybody....i know what will be in the next firmware release!

an update for the pocket.

merry christmas!

FrankApollonio

PostWed Dec 25, 2013 5:10 pm

No firmware for christmas?!?! So ********* of you
Last edited by Tony Rivera on Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Inappropriate/derogatory language for the forums

joechiazza

PostWed Dec 25, 2013 6:26 pm

I wish they would be like, "merry Christmas, here's a new debayering algorithm and compressed raw for the bmcc"

Edrick Smith

PostWed Dec 25, 2013 9:53 pm

I'll be honest if they don't have those features

"1 Guidelines for choosing frame size on the screen, 1:77 1:85 2:35 ...... as RED and ARRI Alexa has
2 More WB selections

In the next major release I'll be quite disappointed. It's a great camera for its price but there's no reason at all it can't have some basic features.
C47Studios.com | Los Angeles, California

joechiazza

PostWed Dec 25, 2013 10:03 pm

Am I the only one that doesn't care about deleting clips in camera?

muratcangokce

PostWed Dec 25, 2013 10:43 pm

joechiazza wrote:Am I the only one that doesn't care about deleting clips in camera?

I don't care either. But being able to formatting media in camera would be nice.
www.muratcan.film

Theodore Prentice

PostThu Dec 26, 2013 10:23 pm

joechiazza wrote:Am I the only one that doesn't care about deleting clips in camera?

nope

JL Rocheron

PostThu Dec 26, 2013 11:39 pm

All the camera can delete files .... even the camera of a child Image :roll:
JL Rocheron
www.onde2choc.com

PostFri Dec 27, 2013 1:03 pm

I bet that one gets firmware updates

FrankApollonio

PostFri Dec 27, 2013 2:59 pm

The 4k camera is being tested by a bunch of people with "beta " firmware . Im curious to wonder if thats the new all camera firmware and these testers know all about the new features coming

Mac Jaeger

PostFri Dec 27, 2013 5:51 pm

Those who don't care about feature X also don't complain. It's natural we only hear the complaints.

Juan Rojas Mancha

PostFri Dec 27, 2013 5:54 pm

More Lens compatibility list! Canon 85mm 1.2LII Works!

Mac Jaeger

PostFri Dec 27, 2013 10:36 pm

Geoff Baxter wrote:Marco Solorio, in his spiel about the 4K camera, seems to indicate there are new features compared to the BMC, but cannot speak about them at present.

Hmm, i don't know. As i understood his comments, it's more like "4k plus global shutter opens new ways to do things", e.g. near-perfect stabilisation in post when cropping to 2k, or similar. I can't read "there will be new firmware features" (which we hope to see in all cameras) into his statement.

Jason R. Johnston

PostSat Dec 28, 2013 1:54 pm

Geoff Baxter wrote:
Marco Solorio wrote:"There are some pretty amazing things this camera inherently does (that the BMCC does not do) that blew me away at first operation, of which I'll be happy to share once the beta is lifted."

I read that as 'new features'.

I agree; bearing in mind we know three things the BMPC can do — that the BMCC can't — are inherent to it's Super35 4K sensor and global shutter. I'm very interested and can't wait to own one!

bruce

PostMon Dec 30, 2013 6:03 am

Seriously audio meters on the bmcc is a must for the next firmware.

Andrey Ilyin

PostTue Dec 31, 2013 9:48 am

Deleting files not necessary in cinema camera. Audio too.
But if blackmagic add Prores422 and 422 LT, it would be very good for documentary films

Norbert Bielan

PostWed Jan 01, 2014 1:23 am

That's silly

joechiazza

PostWed Jan 01, 2014 1:25 am

Wouldn't be awesome if they said "happy new year, here bmcc v2"!

JL Rocheron

PostWed Jan 01, 2014 1:52 am

joechiazza wrote:Wouldn't be awesome if they said "happy new year, here bmcc v2"!

+1
JL Rocheron
www.onde2choc.com

virtualevans

PostWed Jan 01, 2014 3:41 pm

Hi, I´m visiting Costa Rica for New Year´s eve, and after received the BMCC from Support (resolving the rolling banding issue) I discovered that the camera has the black sun spot issue again, as if it doesn´t have any driver upgrade before. I think this is bad... The Lab said they test it... so this is incredible, why they sent the camera without the 1.5 driver?, I lost some shots and a good oportunity.
I don´t have my Mac computer, so I wondering if I can borrow a PC to do this driver upgrade while I´m here. Anyone knows if it doesn´t matter if I use a windows system to upgrade the driver? ? my main system is MAc and I will always connect the camera to that system.

Best Regards

Mac Jaeger

PostWed Jan 01, 2014 8:59 pm

The BMCC always had and still has the black sun spot issue, the firmware update fixed it only for the Pocket cam. We all _hope_ there will be a fix for this in the next firmware update for the 2k5 camera, but if and when this will come is totally up to BMD.

michaeldias

PostThu Jan 02, 2014 12:47 am

shanepeters@bellsouth.net wrote:I bet that one gets firmware updates

Lmao :)
BMCC & Redrock Black Serie's 500gb Evo Samsung....

Macbook Pro Retina 15-inch i7 2.6Ghz, 16GB ,512gb , Iris Pro & GT750 2GbDDR5

Adobe After Effects CC / Red Giant / VCP
Adobe Premiere CC
Blackmagic Resolve 10

Chris Hocking

PostThu Jan 02, 2014 11:18 am

Nikolay Smirnov wrote:Am I colorblind, or did the red became red in the new firmware at BMCC?

Only just noticed this post. I'll do some tests tomorrow! Sounds promising!

I wonder if there's any audio differences between 1.5 and 1.5.1?

Jason R. Johnston

PostThu Jan 02, 2014 4:45 pm

Nikolay Smirnov wrote:Am I colorblind, or did the red became red in the new firmware at BMCC?

I decided to update my BMCC from 1.5 to 1.5.1 today and thought I'd do a purely unscientific reds test to see if there was a change. There was not. Obviously there is a nice mix of reds, oranges, yellows and a bit of blue and green in the shot and they seem pretty accurate to me, but there is no change between firmwares. I also shot ProRes Film and Video if anyone wants to see those, but my point is not about are the reds less orange, my point is there is no discernible change in color between firmwares.

100crop.jpg
100% Crop (1.5.1 top)
100crop.jpg (175.8 KiB) Viewed 26730 times

Below are the full size JPEG's. Both images: WB: 5550K, Tint: +40
Attachments
A_A01_2014-01-02_1023_C0000_000082.jpg
A_A01_2014-01-02_1023_C0000_000082.jpg (400.22 KiB) Viewed 26730 times
A_A01_2013-12-18_2010_C0000_000111.jpg
A_A01_2013-12-18_2010_C0000_000111.jpg (396.72 KiB) Viewed 26730 times

spikespiegel

PostFri Jan 03, 2014 2:08 am

While I completely agree that BMCC owners should get a fix as well, I had to chime in about this audio thing.. Its a F#()@#('n 1000 USD camera.. It doesnt NEED to have professional audio built in.. No one needs it at this price point. If you're an enthusiast and not a professional, you're already getting a hell of a deal with this kind of tech at this price point. It was unthinkable just a few years ago.

While I agree some simple features like card capacity status and being able to format should be included, I certainly am not complaining about any of the limitations.. The camera is just a component.. Want better audio? Record it externally. Want more battery life, add a batt setup.. Don't expect 1000-2000 to give you everything you'll ever need - there is NO such thing.

BTW, I say this all being a producer, not an enthusiast. My company's work airs on NGC/Discovery/A&E and I'm just trouble shooting the BMPCC to a point where I can use it actively on my productions..I'm just thankful that theres a crazy low price option such as what BM offers! Nothing comes close.. Dollar for dollar, the Panasonic HPX250 with it's 5k price tag and AVC INTRA100 4:2:2 comes SORT of close to the BM's Pro res (technically half the bit rate)..Think about that for a sec..And BM is rolling out fixes,seems like. Nothing to complain here, i'm sold!

Grzegorz Styczen

PostFri Jan 03, 2014 2:35 pm

spikespiegel wrote:While I completely agree that BMCC owners should get a fix as well, I had to chime in about this audio thing.. Its a F#()@#('n 1000 USD camera.. It doesnt NEED to have professional audio built in.. No one needs it at this price point. If you're an enthusiast and not a professional, you're already getting a hell of a deal with this kind of tech at this price point. It was unthinkable just a few years ago.

While I agree some simple features like card capacity status and being able to format should be included, I certainly am not complaining about any of the limitations.. The camera is just a component.. Want better audio? Record it externally. Want more battery life, add a batt setup.. Don't expect 1000-2000 to give you everything you'll ever need - there is NO such thing.

BTW, I say this all being a producer, not an enthusiast. My company's work airs on NGC/Discovery/A&E and I'm just trouble shooting the BMPCC to a point where I can use it actively on my productions..I'm just thankful that theres a crazy low price option such as what BM offers! Nothing comes close.. Dollar for dollar, the Panasonic HPX250 with it's 5k price tag and AVC INTRA100 4:2:2 comes SORT of close to the BM's Pro res (technically half the bit rate)..Think about that for a sec..And BM is rolling out fixes,seems like. Nothing to complain here, i'm sold!

Price is not important when you advertise 'proffesional high quality audio' on the product page -- no wonder we're all questioning why the eq is so strange, and varies from firmware to firmware, being one example.

There's a lot of whining cause these seem like simple firmware fixes that should be already taken care of by now, especially if the manufacturer moves on to a new product, as if the older one was already perfected.

Being a producer maybe you don't realise how simple features can sometimes save or ruin your shot...

PostFri Jan 03, 2014 7:42 pm

Somewhat agreeable. However, as a producer, you are in the select club of people who SOMETIMES hire shooters, like myself, with a of restrained budget. You might expect me to handle audio in camera, like one of my competitors, and would not up the budget for me to get either a sound recordist OR an external recorder. And I might have to turn down a job while awaiting a promise from BM to be fulfilled.

My point here is that when a company promises you a tool that can do certain things, then after purchase you find shortcomings with no updates after a year to fix them, and in the meantime have to explain to a producer why your camera cannot record proper audio without a bigger budget....you quickly realize that this "professional solution" is going to cost you jobs.
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography