I didn't have 4k 120 fps envy until...

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Michael Weathersby

I didn't have 4k 120 fps envy until...

PostWed Jan 01, 2014 6:50 pm

I didn't have 4k 120 fps envy until I saw this commercial

Come on BMD... just give us 60 fps for our BMCC... you don't have to release it at the same time as the pocket camera for 4k. Give us this feeling of that we are special and you still remember your first camera children.

Jules Bushell

Re: I didn't have 4k 120 fps envy until...

PostWed Jan 01, 2014 7:05 pm

You mean BMCC v2 I guess if BMD thinks its something to go for? It might not though as 4K and Global shutter are probably bigger selling points to add.

There's a huge list of fixes on the current BMCC firmware that I feel BMD need to address before contemplating.

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

Michael Weathersby

PostWed Jan 01, 2014 7:39 pm

People have made tons of films and projects without global shutter. A cinema camera that can handle quick jerky movements is a nice extra... but really that a strong selling point? Or just a nice bonus? I guess you have a lot of jerky projects that you want to do but can't yet.

No need to resign everything to BMCC v2. That was DSLRs until an update gave them video and hacks took them very much farther then anyone would of believed.

A good strategy for adding new features quickly would be to let the magic lantern team take a whack at seeing what they can squeeze out of the camera. Now im not talking about allow them to publish their own hacks. Under contract let them have cameras and access to some of the programmers notes. If they come up with a way to do something, they pass it back to BMD who can check things for stability and make everything all nice and official.

Jules Bushell

PostWed Jan 01, 2014 8:36 pm

Michael Weathersby wrote:People have made tons of films and projects without global shutter. A cinema camera that can handle quick jerky movements is a nice extra... but really that a strong selling point?

Also for VFX work it's great. ARRI ALEXA and REDs have less rolling shutter, not so much of a problem.

I guess, everyone has their different needs,

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

LoganStewartDP

PostWed Jan 01, 2014 8:58 pm

Jules Bushell wrote:
Michael Weathersby wrote:People have made tons of films and projects without global shutter. A cinema camera that can handle quick jerky movements is a nice extra... but really that a strong selling point?

Also for VFX work it's great. ARRI ALEXA and REDs have less rolling shutter, not so much of a problem.

I guess, everyone has their different needs,

Jules

personally I've found the epic to have way more rolling shutter than the blackmagic. maybe the sensor size has something to do with the speed the sensor can read out.
Logan Stewart DP
Variables Of Light LLC
www.variablesoflight.com

Return to Cinematography