terrible flicker in BMCC RAW footage

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Justin Melson

terrible flicker in BMCC RAW footage

PostSun Jan 05, 2014 12:38 am

I just got my new BMCC a few weeks ago and finally was able to give it a test after weeks of client work. I recorded in raw and when I came home I imported the DNG's imported them into After Effects Adobe Raw Reader and did a small bit of CC in AE. I realized when playing it back in AE there was a really annoying flicker happening in the footage. Almost like the colors are shifting. In other shots there isnt a flicekr but the exposure seems to drop and come back up. For example the actor exits the elvator and the cameras exposure under exposes for half a second then comes back up to its normal exposure. I dont think this is normal at all. Here is a shot of he flickering. Has anyone had this problem and have a solution? I was using a 50 mm f1.8 and a sandisk extreme 240gig SSD.
I want to post the video on here but I'm not allowed to post URLs it says :(
https://www.youtube.com/happyfoxproductions
BMCC, Zoom H4n, RODE NTG-3, Konova Slider

LoganStewartDP

Re: terrible flicker in BMCC RAW footage

PostSun Jan 05, 2014 12:50 am

It's adobe camera raw. It has a built in auto exposure setting that can't be turned off. Try using the $1000 program that came with it. ;)
Logan Stewart DP
Variables Of Light LLC
www.variablesoflight.com

adamroberts

PostSun Jan 05, 2014 12:58 am

happyfoxproductions wrote:I just got my new BMCC a few weeks ago and finally was able to give it a test after weeks of client work. I recorded in raw and when I came home I imported the DNG's imported them into After Effects Adobe Raw Reader and did a small bit of CC in AE. I realized when playing it back in AE there was a really annoying flicker happening in the footage. Almost like the colors are shifting. In other shots there isnt a flicekr but the exposure seems to drop and come back up. For example the actor exits the elvator and the cameras exposure under exposes for half a second then comes back up to its normal exposure. I dont think this is normal at all. Here is a shot of he flickering. Has anyone had this problem and have a solution? I was using a 50 mm f1.8 and a sandisk extreme 240gig SSD.
I want to post the video on here but I'm not allowed to post URLs it says :(

Welcome to the forum. You can't post links as this is your first post. It to stop spammers. Think you need 5 or so posts...

Regarding your flicker... Adobe CameraRAW was designed for still images rather than moving images. So some of the settings are not optimised for moving images.

I've not tested it extensively myself as I process all my RAW footage in Resolve but I know that using the Clarity slider for instance can introduce flicker.

Try just adjusting the exposure and white balance as a test. Leave all the other "effects" adjustments (clarity, sharpening, etc) at their default.

Justin Melson

PostSun Jan 05, 2014 1:05 am

streetlightmedia wrote:It's adobe camera raw. It has a built in auto exposure setting that can't be turned off. Try using the $1000 program that came with it. ;)

Sadly, my 2010 machine doesnt have cuda acceleration so Davinci Resolve is out of the picture until I invest in a new computer, so for now its adobe raw reader. :(

adamroberts wrote:Welcome to the forum. You can't post links as this is your first post. It to stop spammers. Think you need 5 or so posts...

Regarding your flicker... Adobe CameraRAW was designed for still images rather than moving images. So some of the settings are not optimised for moving images.

I've not tested it extensively myself as I process all my RAW footage in Resolve but I know that using the Clarity slider for instance can introduce flicker.

Try just adjusting the exposure and white balance as a test. Leave all the other "effects" adjustments (clarity, sharpening, etc) at their default.

Yes that might help, I turn clarity to about 75 percent to try to get a bit more detail out of the picture (I'm a noob with raw recording) I'll see if what you told me helps. I cant use Resolve for now because of system hardware limitations (no cuda acceleration) but eventually my workflow is going to move to Davinci, Thanks Adam. I'll come back and let you guys know if the results have improved!
https://www.youtube.com/happyfoxproductions
BMCC, Zoom H4n, RODE NTG-3, Konova Slider

LoganStewartDP

PostSun Jan 05, 2014 2:17 am

If I remember correctly (used to do the same thing with 5d raw) you go to the camera profile drop down and switch it from 2010 or 2012 down to 2003 and it shouldn't do it anymore
Logan Stewart DP
Variables Of Light LLC
www.variablesoflight.com

adamroberts

PostSun Jan 05, 2014 11:28 am

streetlightmedia wrote:If I remember correctly (used to do the same thing with 5d raw) you go to the camera profile drop down and switch it from 2010 or 2012 down to 2003 and it shouldn't do it anymore

Yeah I've read that too. Apparently the newer profiles have some "auto" correction setting that the earlier profile does not have.

I would still avoid using Clarity and Sharpen in the CameraRAW interface. You can add that inside AE after CameraRAW has processed the DNGs.

Christian Horne

PostSun Jan 05, 2014 12:02 pm

Iv'e done a few tests on this tip, switching to the 2003 camera profile in ACR and it bloody works, used Clarity slider to the Max and the Vignette slider and it is rock solid, no flicker or other issues, this is a quality top tip! :D

LoganStewartDP

PostSun Jan 05, 2014 6:38 pm

Anytime lol :D
Logan Stewart DP
Variables Of Light LLC
www.variablesoflight.com

Norbert Bielan

PostSun Jan 05, 2014 6:57 pm

Is Lightroom connected to Adobe RAW because the flicker happens there too?

Christian Horne

PostSun Jan 05, 2014 7:26 pm

Lightroom is the exact same program as ACR you need to go to 'Settings' at the top tool bar and select 'Process' from the drop down menu that appears and select '2003' ;)

Norbert Bielan

PostSun Jan 05, 2014 7:39 pm

Awesome, thanks...I'll try it out. In the meantime, I was in the same boat unable to run Resolve on a laptop I always travel with and Lightroom was producing such beautiful results, but all ruined by the flicker/exposure change. In the meantime, I have been using this program: http://pomfort.com/cliphouse/
Amazing for what it does.

Norbert Bielan

PostSun Jan 05, 2014 8:34 pm

Just opened up LR...so is this the process setting in the camera calibration section of the develop settings on the right? I don't see any option anywhere else...

Christian Horne

PostSun Jan 05, 2014 8:48 pm

In the Windows version it in the top left hand of the screen, in between 'Photo and Tools'

adamroberts

PostSun Jan 05, 2014 10:29 pm

NorBro wrote:Just opened up LR...so is this the process setting in the camera calibration section of the develop settings on the right? I don't see any option anywhere else...

Correct.

In the "Develop" page, look for the "Camera Calibration" panel on the right. First drop down: "Process" select 2003.

Return to Cinematography