ATEM MAC address

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

jrawls

ATEM MAC address

PostThu Jan 16, 2014 5:10 pm

How do you find the MAC address of a ATEM switcher? I need this to reserve the IP on the server.

Thomas Seewald

Re: ATEM MAC address

PostThu Jan 16, 2014 6:45 pm

I think ATEM has static IP. So for what do you need the MAC address ? You have to "blacklist" the IP.
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Chad

PostThu Jan 16, 2014 9:37 pm

In a DHCP environtment many IT admins will not allow static IP configuration (in case they need to make gateway or DNS changes for example) and instead want to create a DHCP reservation based on MAC address in order to ensure the ATEM gets the same IP every time it renews it's DHCP lease.

The MAC address should the same as the serial number if I'm not mistaken (at least the last 3 octets should be), try looking at the serial number on the back of the unit.

Thomas Seewald

PostFri Jan 17, 2014 8:27 am

BM-Manual page 19 Getting Started
The ATEM switcher chassis allways needs a fixed IP address so control panels have a stable location to connect to. This means you need to find a free fixed IP address in the range of your network that you can use.

ATEM mixer don't support DHCP ! So it will not send any requst to a DHCP server ("Standard Gateway" don't mean DHCP-server !). It makes no sense, to reserve a IP at DHCP-server based on ATEMs MAC.

Only the control panels (and computers with control software) can be set to DHCP.
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

EBUKONT

PostSat Jan 18, 2014 9:33 pm

The address is static. There is no DHCP. Net admins tend to like the MAC address, and then assign an IP. at command prompt, type arp -a (current address). it will return the hex code of the MAC

Return to Getting Started