Infinity focus issues BMPCC

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

ronhaley

Infinity focus issues BMPCC

PostTue Jan 21, 2014 2:32 am

Just received my BMPCC. I had planned to use some of my Canon glass with a Kipon EOS-m4/3 A adapter, and all is good except that it's out of focus at infinity. So I decided to try some of my buddies GH2 native Panasonic m43 glass, and it has the same issue. Infinity focus occurs prior to maximum manual focus ring rotation. Given the small DOP and the poor screen, I'm really worried that I'm going to have really big problems obtaining an accurate focus.
Is this to be expected? Any solutions?

Christian Schmeer

Re: Infinity focus issues BMPCC

PostTue Jan 21, 2014 3:50 am

So you can achieve Infinity Focus, but it goes past Infinity? Basically all my stills lenses (incl. Canon's own 24-105mm F/4.0 IS L lens) do that on my 5D Mark III. Stills lenses aren't as accurate as cine lenses and Canon also leaves a little 'room' in their mounts to avoid any issues: It's better than not achieving focus at infinity at all, which was the case initially with the BMCC. Blackmagic then adjusted the camera's flange distance to go slightly over infinity as well (as Canon does). Most lens adapters are also made to go slightly over, to ensure that focus at infinity is even hit at all.
Christian Schmeer - DP / Colourist
www.christianschmeer.com
www.vimeo.com/christianschmeer

ronhaley

Re: Infinity focus issues BMPCC

PostTue Jan 21, 2014 4:30 am

Thanks Christian. It's certainly a little more difficult working manual.

Return to Cinematography