4k Shipping

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Ben Wells

Re: 4k Shipping

PostThu Feb 13, 2014 8:28 pm

Happy little accidents - Bob Ross ^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brent k

PostThu Feb 13, 2014 10:06 pm

You can format media in the Alexa, if there is a way to delete a clip I don't know how to do it. Like I said before, I have never had a DP ask me for a Blackmagic camera, they apparently don't like it because it lacks functionality.

That said, I actually like the BlackMagic camera's because I like doing the post work on the shots. To each his own I guess.

Simon_Pearldrop_Video

PostThu Feb 13, 2014 11:53 pm

Hi, guys.

Here's my super-quick 4K Production Camera unboxing video:

Footage from the camera to follow soon!

jevon99

PostFri Feb 14, 2014 11:32 am

Just heard from 3DBroadcast that mine's on it's way to me. Expected Monday. Literally never been so excited about a kit purchase :D
Glen Jevon
www.facebook.com/glenjevon

Mark Davies

PostFri Feb 14, 2014 11:43 am

Simon_Pearldrop_Video wrote:Hi, guys.

Here's my super-quick 4K Production Camera unboxing video:

Footage from the camera to follow soon!

Simon Nice! You didn't take the lens cap off so we could see the sensor :D
Mark Davies

hijodeibn

PostFri Feb 14, 2014 3:33 pm

Geoff Baxter wrote:
MentalNomad wrote:
Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:Deleting clips might possibly cause enough fragmentation to hurt the system's stability.

In other words, aside from a philosphical reason for not allowing clip deletion in-camera, it may also be due to a choice between maximum data rates vs. reliability. Maybe you can't have both?-

Actually, even the shortest video clips are huge blocks, as disc sectors go, so fragmentation/drive performance is a non-factor - and that's before considering that these are SSD, not platters, so fragmentation is not a performance-impacting factor in the first place.

It's probably an intentional decision. Perhaps they should allow in-camera deletion, but make it a huge hassle, just for people who are DP - Director - Producer themselves and might desperately need to reclaim space to work.

It's not just about accidental deletion; when working as part of a larger production crew, the camera operator has no right to decide what can be deleted! From the Director's or Producer's standpoint, they'd rather buy an extra drive or two than give the camera operator the possibility of deleting something they'd want. Truth be told, you never know when you're going to lift a few critical seconds of a particular angle or a particular actor's delivery, from an otherwise "bad" take.

From the producer's standpoint, short of accidentally shooting twenty minutes of the inside of a lenscap, nothing should be deleted! Most of the cost of acquiring that footage is in the cast, crew, lighting, location, rentals, insurance - all of that has been spent when the take is done, and if you burn the take, all of that has been wasted.

Some DP's want to be able to hide their errors - the lighting needed to be fixed, the focus was off, etc, but then the editor or director want to bring some of it back - that was the best delivery of that line, or the they decided they like how the focus drew attention, etc.; when cut together with the "better" takes, it can become something really special. Sometimes errors provide something beautiful when looked at the right way.

Sorry, I'm beginning to ramble...

I agree. But format in the camera is a useful addition.

First of all - congrats to the people who are getting their cameras!!!

I really don`t see any need to delete clips on camera, to be honest, you really don`t have any time to care about it, I just finished a medium one week ago using a RED ONE in a 5 day shooting and I don`t even have time to playback any shoot on set, I was always late, shooting 12 hours straight each day, transferring and saving the data the rest of the time, and sleeping like 4 hours per day, format in camera is very useful but not critical, what is really critical is a camera that shoot correctly each time you use it, I really can not afford to loose any shoot, once it is done you will have to live with that, and the other critical thing I could think about is a second-cam, it is so much needed, and the 4K production camera looks incredible at this price, not sure if I will go for the BMCC or the 4K at this time, I will wait for more feedback from this community, anyway for the price any of these cameras is the best choice, DSLR cams are not even close to what Blackmagic accomplished.
Cheers....

Dave Perry

PostFri Feb 14, 2014 7:45 pm

I just got a call from my rep at Enhanced View Services in Miami informing me that I'll be getting my BMPC 4K next week!
BMUM 4.6k PL, S1H
----------------------------------------------
Dave Perry Cinematographer LLC
Director of Photography • Camera Operator
2046 High Tower Dr. Unit 1
Hollywood USA 90068
daveperry.net

Dillon McEvoy

PostFri Feb 14, 2014 7:49 pm

Just received email from Adorama Camera, my camera is on its way! Ordered 11:05a.m. California Time 4/9/13.

Dave Perry

PostFri Feb 14, 2014 8:41 pm

dp351 wrote:I just got a call from my rep at Enhanced View Services in Miami informing me that I'll be getting my BMPC 4K next week!

By the way, I placed my order October 1, 2013.
BMUM 4.6k PL, S1H
Hollywood USA 90068
daveperry.net

bruce

PostFri Feb 14, 2014 9:08 pm

Dillon, I ordered mine on the 8th. How did your ship and mine isn't, got to contact adorama.

Scott Pultz

PostFri Feb 14, 2014 9:10 pm

bruce wrote:Dillon, I ordered mine on the 8th. How did your ship and mine isn't, got to contact adorama.

Let me know what they say. I contacted them online and have not heard back.

Sean Miki

PostFri Feb 14, 2014 11:03 pm

Happy to report that we received our first shipment today and both units were sold to customers on the top of our waiting list.
Attachments
255A7648.jpg
255A7648.jpg (540.16 KiB) Viewed 9814 times
The DV Shop
Check out our BMCC un-boxing video: vimeo.com/55068769
www.dvshop.ca

mattstoltz

PostSat Feb 15, 2014 7:34 am

Hi just joined the forum. -waiting on my 4K camera-ordered the day after it was announced-no word yet but can someone confirm that a full copy of resolve and a copy of ultrascope comes with the 4k camera.

Thanks

Matt

sean mclennan

PostSat Feb 15, 2014 8:27 am

mattstoltz wrote:Hi just joined the forum. -waiting on my 4K camera-ordered the day after it was announced-no word yet but can someone confirm that a full copy of resolve and a copy of ultrascope comes with the 4k camera.

Thanks

Matt

Yes on both counts

TheLightFactory

PostSun Feb 16, 2014 6:09 am

Dillon wrote:
Nice! Now throw up some test footage with that Rokinon Prime you have one there :)

Yup been camping over the weekend, throwing some rough footage up now taken with the rokinon 35mm prime.
Mark

TheLightFactory

PostSun Feb 16, 2014 6:26 am

mattstoltz wrote:Hi just joined the forum. -waiting on my 4K camera-ordered the day after it was announced-no word yet but can someone confirm that a full copy of resolve and a copy of ultrascope comes with the 4k camera.

Thanks

Matt

Yep, you get a usb ilok for resolve too ;)

I haven't tried it yet but now after installing the bmd software disk, whenever I start up fcp7 it's looking for the actual production camera to use as a media interface, does this mean you can connect via thunderbolt direct from the camera into fcp7 and possibly edit straight from the camera?
Mark

TheLightFactory

PostMon Feb 17, 2014 12:57 am

Rokinon 35mm cine lens. This is 2 raw files cut together (pro res hq 4k) 48 seconds was 4.3gb. I'm not sure why youtube has not allowed the 4k option. Notice the bad compression when looking at the background trees. The original files look amazing.
Mark

Ron Peloquin

PostMon Feb 17, 2014 4:11 am

Congratulations to everyone who will soon have their BMPC 4K. I’ll be picking up my new BMCC EF on Wednesday and will plan to purchase the 4K later in the year. These forums, and their many contributors, informed my decision. Sincere thanks to you all.

jevon99

PostMon Feb 17, 2014 11:51 am

4K Arrived this morning. Slight panic whilst I tried to find my caddy to format a SSD, but up and running now!
Framegrab attached. As shot, Prores 4k, 400, Film. Happy days :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/96p6vf9nmj83x ... ill001.jpg
Glen Jevon

bruce

PostMon Feb 17, 2014 2:49 pm

@scott,
I am still waiting for Adorama's response. They normally fast at responding but I have not heard from them since Friday.

bruce

PostMon Feb 17, 2014 6:00 pm

@Scott,
Just receive email from Adorama that my camera is ready to ship today. I ordered on the day of announcement.

Scott Pultz

PostMon Feb 17, 2014 7:01 pm

bruce wrote:@Scott,
Just receive email from Adorama that my camera is ready to ship today. I ordered on the day of announcement.

The contacted me and said that they don't have any more units or an ETA for more.

Ben Wells

PostMon Feb 17, 2014 7:21 pm

They are very tight lipped about line placement. Probably don't want people canceling for companies that have more stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul Kapp

PostTue Feb 18, 2014 2:40 am

jevon99 wrote:4K Arrived this morning. Slight panic whilst I tried to find my caddy to format a SSD, but up and running now!

That detail looks amazing.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostTue Feb 18, 2014 4:24 am

jevon99 wrote:4K Arrived this morning. … Framegrab attached. As shot, Prores 4k, 400, Film. Happy days :) ...

Looks great! I'm curious what lens you used?

-

Scott Pultz

PostTue Feb 18, 2014 4:52 am

Scott Pultz wrote:
bruce wrote:@Scott,

The contacted me and said that they don't have any more units or an ETA for more.

Scratch that, I just got my shipping notification. W00T!

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Feb 18, 2014 5:12 am

Congrats Scott !
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Graham Parker

PostTue Feb 18, 2014 6:19 am

Mine arrived today, very exciting!! Ordered in June and was apparently the first order (gotta love a small country like NZ!)

Sadly it looks like my PowerBase 70 battery might be faulty. When fully charged (all 4 LED's are on solid) it seems good and when I un-plug it from the wall it seems to work... but after a few minutes there's no sign of life (stops charging the camera and pressing the battery check button doesn't do anything). I'll have to send that one back.

I quickly grabbed a few frames with the 10% battery left in the camera out of the box, and dammmmmn this camera is sharp! Yet very natural looking too. Love the look so far :)

http://levelup.geek.nz/ - Rental Gear for New Zealand

Scott Pultz

PostTue Feb 18, 2014 7:49 am

jevon99 wrote:4K Arrived this morning. Slight panic whilst I tried to find my caddy to format a SSD, but up and running now!

What lens?

Paul Kapp

PostTue Feb 18, 2014 12:48 pm

MentalNomad wrote:Actually, even the shortest video clips are huge blocks, as disc sectors go, so fragmentation/drive performance is a non-factor - and that's before considering that these are SSD, not platters, so fragmentation is not a performance-impacting factor in the first place.

True, and fragmentation is not an issue on SSD's.
In fact, defragging an SSD needlessly wears out the flash memory with no benefit.

From what I understand, due to the way SSD's handle data, needing to erase whole blocks before rewriting to them, an SSD can run out of clear space to write to at high speeds, even though overall, there is plenty of space. This can lead to a drive dropping frames, even though it has only used 70-80%. I experienced this on quite new SSD's recording uncompressed to the Hyperdeck Shuttle. Overprovisioning, or leaving a percentage of unformatted(10-20%) space can improve performance. Periodic erasing using secure-erase can restore a drive's speed but this does add to write cycles and therefore to the aging of the flash memory. But nothing like defragging can and secure-erasing a drive does improve performance whereas defragging does nothing useful for an SSD. Not sure about formatting but I doubt it will address performance drop due to drive clagging.

ogauchan

PostTue Feb 18, 2014 3:05 pm

I have order on April from B&H but haven't received it. Where are we...in third world Mr. BM?
LostBoyNZ wrote:Mine arrived today, very exciting!! Ordered in June and was apparently the first order (gotta love a small country like NZ!)

Adam Simmons

PostTue Feb 18, 2014 3:42 pm

It may well be that although he was the first one to order from that supplier the supplier may have already had a few units on back order just in case they had anyone order it, so although you placed your order in April his supplier may have ordered it on the day of announcement
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

onseteric

PostTue Feb 18, 2014 4:28 pm

I received my camera yesterday. I placed my preorder with B&H on 4/8/13.

Here's a quick unboxing video: youtube.com/watch?v=wEluWkFZ54g

So far I can say the low light performance is nonexistent. Options are asa 200, 400 and 800. I'll probably never use 800. Also, the focus peaking seems to be less prevalent on the screen than the bmcc (aka not as many little dots). From what I've seen so far, the dynamic range doesn't appear to be far off of the other black magic cameras.

I typically pic cameras per project based on look and function. Regardless of whats on paper I really like the look of this camera and will use in for films and other controlled environment project.

I'm planning on making a comparison video later in the week vs a Red Epic. What would you like to see?

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostTue Feb 18, 2014 4:34 pm

onseteric wrote:I received my camera yesterday. … I'm planning on making a comparison video later in the week vs a Red Epic. What would you like to see?

Already been done out in bright sunshine …

… so something well-shot indoors with lighting would be very welcome!

Congrats on receiving your new cam!

-

Jules Bushell

PostTue Feb 18, 2014 5:55 pm

Epic vs xxxxx

Doesn't matter to me until I win the lottery and can afford an Epic. :?

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

Dave Perry

PostTue Feb 18, 2014 9:20 pm

I placed my order October 1, 2013 with Enhanced View Services in Miami. It shipped today and UPS says it should be here Thursday.
BMUM 4.6k PL, S1H
Hollywood USA 90068
daveperry.net

Jason R. Johnston

PostWed Feb 19, 2014 1:46 am

dp351 wrote:I placed my order October 1, 2013 with Enhanced View Services in Miami. It shipped today and UPS says it should be here Thursday.

Cool. I like your work, Dave; can't wait to see what you do with it.
JASONRJOHNSTON.COM | CINEMATOGRAPHER | DIRECTOR | EDITOR | COLORIST
RED Komodo | DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 | 2023 MacBook M2 Pro 14

Dave Perry

PostWed Feb 19, 2014 4:21 am

Jason R. Johnston wrote:
dp351 wrote:I placed my order October 1, 2013 with Enhanced View Services in Miami. It shipped today and UPS says it should be here Thursday.

Cool. I like your work, Dave; can't wait to see what you do with it.

Thanks Jason!

I'm under a tight deadline until Saturday. I hope to get out Sunday and start shooting test footage and will post some results soon. Got some up coming jobs I plan to use it on as soon as I establish a workflow.
BMUM 4.6k PL, S1H
Hollywood USA 90068
daveperry.net

Mark Jamerson

PostWed Feb 19, 2014 9:21 pm

I'm expecting one to be here sometime this weekend or Monday morning.

CaptainHook can I test out your new LUT for the BM4k?
Mark Jamerson
Jamerson Studios

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostWed Feb 19, 2014 10:42 pm

My BMPC-4K might show up at my dealer (ProVideoAndTape.com) in about a week, if I'm lucky!

Due to my changing my mind a few times, I've been waiting to buy a BMD camera since April 2012 … :roll:

… and depending on what happens at NAB in April 2014, I could be kicking myself around the block! :lol:

-

Scott Pultz

PostWed Feb 19, 2014 11:26 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:My BMPC-4K might show up at my dealer (ProVideoAndTape.com) in about a week, if I'm lucky!

Due to my changing my mind a few times, I've been waiting to buy a BMD camera since April 2012 … :roll:

… and depending on what happens at NAB in April 2014, I could be kicking myself around the block! :lol:

-

That is a long time to wait, even if you waited just a year when people where getting their BMCC cameras last April. One could shoot for a year and sell their camera for a $1500 loss. $1500 for a years worth of footage seems like a good deal to me.

Although we know that the camera price is really a drop in the bucket. Time is way more valuable!

I could see Blackmagic announcing a new form factor with many fixes to the issues that upset people. When it will be delivered is another thing.

The 4K camera is pretty unique and I would be really surprised to see somebody else ship a camera with global shutter and 10-12 bit internal recording at this price point.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostWed Feb 19, 2014 11:41 pm

Scott Pultz wrote:
Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:My BMPC-4K might show up at my dealer (ProVideoAndTape.com) in about a week, if I'm lucky!

-

That is a long time to wait, even if you waited just a year when people where getting their BMCC cameras last April. One could shoot for a year and sell their camera for a $1500 loss. $1500 for a years worth of footage seems like a good deal to me.

Although we know that the camera price is really a drop in the bucket. Time is way more valuable!

I could see Blackmagic announcing a new form factor with many fixes to the issues that upset people. When it will be delivered is another thing.

The 4K camera is pretty unique and I would be really surprised to see somebody else ship a camera with global shutter and 10-12 bit internal recording at this price point.

After long deliberation I decided the BMCC & BMPCC weren't appropriate for me. Their features weren't a close-enough match for what I'd use the cam for, and I tend to use gear for a relatively long time.

For most of my current & near term needs (1-2 years), the BMPC-4K is a better match. Especially its 4K & 1080p ProRes HQ, "S35" FOV, global shutter, and its greatly-reduced aliasing & moire and somewhat better audio (compared to BMCC/BMPCC). Not to mention its new lower price!

When I talk about having a bit of stress now that we're so close to NAB 2014, it's because I suspect BMD might announce a higher-end cam at a somewhat higher price. Maybe something like this for ~$5K:
http://herefortheweather.wordpress.com/ ... wish-list/

Not so much a problem if as per usual BMD takes 6-12 months to ship such a cam, but with my luck BMD will ship their next cam in record time (for them). We should be so lucky, or unlucky, depending on individual circumstances.

Anyway, I hope my BMPC-4K arrives soon so I can start shooting with it ASAP!

-

jevon99

PostSun Feb 23, 2014 10:27 pm

Sorry all (heavy birthday weekend!)..

The lens on the 'dog' frame earlier was a Canon EF L 70-200 IS MKII (at 200mm).
Probably my favourite lens - and I never thought I'd ever say that about a zoom :D
Glen Jevon

greg runnels

PostMon Feb 24, 2014 12:13 am

Has anybody on the West Coast received their 4k? I am number 2 on the list at Samy's Los Angeles.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostMon Feb 24, 2014 1:27 am

greg runnels wrote:Has anybody on the West Coast received their 4k? I am number 2 on the list at Samy's Los Angeles.

I know at least 2 people received their cams from ProVideoAndTape.com in Portland, OR (I'll hopefully be #3 "soon").

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Feb 24, 2014 1:50 am

Peter, you've really been patient this whole time sticking around and trying to be as level headed and helpful as possible. Props to you and i hope you get your first blackmagic camera soon!!
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Jason R. Johnston

PostMon Feb 24, 2014 2:05 am

CaptainHook wrote:Peter, you've really been patient this whole time sticking around and trying to be as level headed and helpful as possible. Props to you and i hope you get your first blackmagic camera soon!!

+1
JASONRJOHNSTON.COM | CINEMATOGRAPHER | DIRECTOR | EDITOR | COLORIST
RED Komodo | DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 | 2023 MacBook M2 Pro 14

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostMon Feb 24, 2014 2:28 am

It's the contributions from everyone here that make this forum a great resource.

There are some who complain about the "signal to noise" ratio of this forum. IMHO, no matter how heated it sometimes gets, the frequent info "gems" and sample video files (complete with shooting details) keep me coming back.

Cheers!

-

greg runnels

PostMon Feb 24, 2014 4:56 am

I can't wait to get my hands on this baby. I need it to finish shooting some bike race scenes in my feature film. I need the 4k to rescale some shots and I am so happy to be able to shoot without rolling shutter.

John Stalker

PostMon Feb 24, 2014 5:17 am

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:Not so much a problem if as per usual BMD takes 6-12 months to ship such a cam, but with my luck BMD will ship their next cam in record time (for them). We should be so lucky, or unlucky, depending on individual circumstances.
-

Even if the next camera is awesome and ships quickly, it wouldn't take anything away from your BMPC. You're getting what you pay for now, and should get a long life out of it.
Creative Director/CEO - http://www.creativebaymedia.com
Stage Manager - http://www.studiofcc.com
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography