Has anyone tried an Nvidia 660ti gpu with a 2008 2.8X8

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Dimitrios Papagiannis

Has anyone tried an Nvidia 660ti gpu with a 2008 2.8X8

PostSat Aug 25, 2012 6:22 am

Just wondering what GPU to upgrade to for my early 2008 Mac Pro?

Iain Anderson

Re: Has anyone tried an Nvidia 660ti gpu with a 2008 2.8X8

PostSun Aug 26, 2012 7:31 am

Having looked into this, several Nvidia GPUs are now supported directly in Mountain Lion. The GTX 285 is supported, as is the GTX 570 — probably the best choice. However, only an official Apple card, or an eBay card from MacVidCards with their hacked firmware, will show boot screens, though other PC-focused cards may work too.

Two cards, the Quadro 4000 and GT120, don't need additional power, meaning they can be used alongside a more powerful card that does. (A Mac Pro has two 6-pin aux power ports, and the grunter cards need them both.) With two cards, the slower card drives the monitors and the more powerful card does the processing in Resolve. You can use just a single powerful card for everything, but it will be slower to some degree — not sure how much.

Cards to avoid: there's a 580 which needs too much power, and the 6xx series still have issues. Google will give you much more info though.

Disclaimer: I don't own an Nvidia card (yet) myself. This is just what I've found out recently. Corrections welcome.

Return to Post Production