My Two Music Videos I Shot on 2.5k BMCC MFT

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Ghassan Nazmi

My Two Music Videos I Shot on 2.5k BMCC MFT

PostSat Mar 08, 2014 9:12 pm

Wanted to share my work (Cinematography & Grading) , feel free to share your opinion

Both Music videos are in Arabic language in case you wonder.

Ghassan Nazmi
Cinematographer | Filmmaker
info@ghassannazmi.com
http://www.ghassannazmi.com
Ghassan Nazmi
Writer|Director|Cinematographer
Info@ghassannazmi.com
www.ghassannazmi.com (Currently Upgrading)

http://instagram.com/oras_gn

VINTRUSCAM (BMCC 2.5K MFT)

Grzegorz Styczen

Re: My Two Music Videos I Shot on 2.5k BMCC MFT

PostSat Mar 08, 2014 9:31 pm

Beautiful!

Michael Tiemann

PostSat Mar 08, 2014 10:01 pm

Ghassan,

Thanks for sharing! Let me first say that it was a pleasure to see these Arabic-language videos. Living in the USA, it's not something I see everyday.

You asked for a response, and so I will offer mine. In the first video, I was interested to see how the visual narrative would play out. Since I don't understand Arabic, I'm 100% dependent on the visual imagery (and the music that underlies the story and the visuals). From that vantage point, I felt that the cuts between the story and the band did not have a visual rhythm, meaning that the cuts to the desert did not seem to conform to what I was expecting in terms of visual "beats". I think that if the desert scenes had just a little more time, and more completely established something I could lock on to, I could imagine the story even without the words.

In the second video, I liked the color contrast of the two environments--the blue where the man lives and the red where the woman dances. But I also somehow felt that the grading of the two scenes were too independent, one from another. Both grades looked very good, but they looked unintentionally different. The blue-green windows in the dance environment looked like they *might* relate to the blue environment of the man. The red Jack of Hearts (why the Jack, not the Queen?) related to the dancer's red environment, but the red of the heart suit and the red of the tiles didn't quite connect. Similarly, there's a red rose on the wall in the man's blue environment, but it is "blued-out" instead of highlighting the red. Again, without any language skills, I can only rely on my eyes and the music to tell me what's happening.

I watched both videos in 1440p on my 27" LED Cinema Screen. At that resolution, and at my normal sitting distance, the closeups felt way too close-up. And the cuts seemed way too fast. There's a *huge* amount of visual information in this HD format, and quick cuts leave me disoriented. When I watch on a much smaller window, they don't bother me at all, because my eyes can lock on to a small target and watch it change. But when the format is large--immersive--those quick cuts are too quick.

I think that with video, we are starting to get into the territory that audio has had to deal with for a long time, which is to figure out how to master for a super-wide range of playback systems, from headphones to car stereos to home stereos to hi-fi systems. Audio engineers make sure that bass energy is controlled so that something that sounds good on headphones doesn't blow a woofer on a hi-fi system, etc. I think that as we enter the world beyond 1080p, we need to give consideration to how the eye works across both really large screens close up (like video monitors) and more distant screens.

Anyway, thanks for posting.
MacOS Catalina Version 10.15.7
iMac Pro (2017)
3 GHz Intel Xeon W
64GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB
RED Rocket-X
Decklink 8K Pro card feeding FSI XM310K Monitor

Vince Gaffney

PostSat Mar 08, 2014 10:25 pm

The footage is beautifully shot and graded. Congrats on the great work.

Blaine Russom

PostSun Mar 09, 2014 1:10 am

I agree 100% with Michael Tiemann's comments.. nothing else to add.. but great work Ghassan, keep it up!!

I've traveled quite a lot to the middle east so I spend a lot of time watching music videos there. Especially I like the Rotana channels.. but all their songs are love stories lol one way or another.

Their work (music videos) is always on the cutting edge.. always very well done. I love just to watch the story through visuals, can't understand the language all that much. Tunisia seems to be the cultural hub in that region.. lots of great music videos..

rick.lang

PostSun Mar 09, 2014 4:03 am

Very good. Agree some of the extreme closeups could have been not quite so close but still a good video. I think some of the beauty landscapes shots could have been longer. Especially the shots of the angle found at 1:44 and elsewhere in the first video. That is so gorgeous I want to see more than two seconds. Gimme five!

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD
Last edited by rick.lang on Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Lang

Manu Gil

PostSun Mar 09, 2014 10:36 am

Very nice look. I like.

Matthew_Lawrence

PostSun Mar 09, 2014 11:59 pm

Beautiful. Fantastic work. :D

joechiazza

PostMon Mar 10, 2014 4:52 am

What lenses did you use??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soeren Mueller

PostMon Mar 10, 2014 12:20 pm

looks fantastic ghassan!

i second joes question regarding the lenses.. also some info on the lighting would be great (if you're willing to share) =)

Return to Cinematography