Replacement BMPC4K Direct from BMD

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

APAIRUS

Replacement BMPC4K Direct from BMD

PostMon Mar 10, 2014 8:36 pm

Got my replacement camera today. While the banding seems to be almost non existent at all ASA's and I have all of my helicoils accounted for, there are still literally hundreds of stuck pixels all over this sensor showing at all ASA's in low light or not... I will post a follow up video showing what I am talking about...I will be baffled if this isn't something showing up on everyones cameras. I recommend everyone pushing in on their images 100-200% or more at 800 asa with their lens cap on, finding an area with a fair amount stuck pixels then focusing on that same area at all different asa's in different lighting conditions...they DO NOT GO AWAY. They can be masked but they are there, even at 200 asa you can see them in decent lighting conditions in your shadows!!!
For me I cannot be shooting professionally with dead pixels all over, while this may not show up on vimeo or 1080p screens, it will show up on a 4k monitor and why pay for a new camera that has problems???
If i send back this camera a second time it will be me either sitting tight for an ef mounted speed booster for 2.5k to be released(probably won't want to wait) or dumping my entire production package and starting fresh with a new manufacturer...
Call me crazy but I could do without audio, waveforms, audio levels, low light shooting,or any other downfalls that these cameras have as long as all of my pixels are there and banding is resolved.
Anyone else in the same boat???
Bret Kalmbach

Kholi Hicks

Re: Replacement BMPC4K Direct from BMD

PostMon Mar 10, 2014 9:18 pm

Hey sorry to hear about the stuck pixels, I'm still not seeing them on my camera.

But, I am interested in how clean your camera is at 400ISO.

Can you post stills with a variation of shadows at 400 ISO, about one stop underexposed or more?

DPX would be amazing.
Kholi Hicks

Adam Jeal

PostMon Mar 10, 2014 9:48 pm

I've had the Hot Pixel issue with four BMPCC cameras to date. My useless UK reseller Jigsaw was supposed to refund me on Thursday 27th Feb, after they refused to issue me another two replacements. Prior to that, it took three and a half weeks to get the first two replacements. These were worse quality than the first and one had an added high pitched tone on the audio channel.

I was getting nowhere with them so I decided to get a refund and go to another dealer. When doing this, they said something that truly dumbfounded me. They said 'we can refund you, or we can send the replacement cameras Back to you - that's right, they suggested sending two, totally useless cameras with hundreds of hot pixels back to me! - I was told on the 27th that the refund would take between 3 to 5 working days, and as it didn't show up, I called them back today to find that they hadn't done it yet! - I'll never deal with them again. They have no business selling cameras to professionals at all! - and all this is wasting time when I urgently need to try and get working cameras.

I sincerely hope that BMD invest in poaching some ROCKSTAR software engineers and quality control personnel from the likes of Sony or Panasonic as a matter of extreme urgency.

This situation cannot continue. These cameras are not suitable for professional use.

Back to playing 'Pocket Cinema Camera Russian Roulette' :( I hope you manage to get a properly working 4K!

Adam
Last edited by Adam Jeal on Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Adam Jeal
Acoustic Space Productions Ltd
www.acoustic-space.com
www.static-film.com
www.twitter.com/adamjeal

APAIRUS

PostMon Mar 10, 2014 9:48 pm

Record a clip 23.98 4k prores 180 shutter 5600k film mode with cap on at 800 Asa and you're really not seeing anything if you punch In??? I find this hard to believe its on both my cameras and not elsewhere
Bret Kalmbach

Samjack

PostMon Mar 10, 2014 10:03 pm

APAIRUS wrote:Record a clip 23.98 4k prores 180 shutter 5600k film mode with cap on at 800 Asa and you're really not seeing anything if you punch In??? I find this hard to believe its on both my cameras and not elsewhere

Sure they havent sent you someone else returned?

Kholi Hicks

PostTue Mar 11, 2014 12:15 am

Just for giggles, I put the lens cap on and did what you asked.

Zero dead pixels. Just noise/banding.
Kholi Hicks

Charly Doo

PostTue Mar 11, 2014 12:20 am

Kholi wrote:Just for giggles, I put the lens cap on and did what you asked.

Me too, I have a lot of vertical and horizontal noise but no dead pixels, double checked everything and there is none.

I spoke with BMD today, and I know that some people have already said this but I felt really good when they told me that they are looking into the problem and that I will have a working camera no matter what.

So, all we have to do is wait patiently a little longer.

Samjack

PostTue Mar 11, 2014 6:59 am

Charly Doo wrote:
Kholi wrote:Just for giggles, I put the lens cap on and did what you asked.

Me too, I have a lot of vertical and horizontal noise but no dead pixels, double checked everything and there is none.

I spoke with BMD today, and I know that some people have already said this but I felt really good when they told me that they are looking into the problem and that I will have a working camera no matter what.

So, all we have to do is wait patiently a little longer.

So BMD is looking into fixing the banding problem "no matter what"? I guess it will be a firmware and and if nothing else a recall. I wish they post an announcement saying they are aware of this and are dealing with it.

Mark Davies

PostTue Mar 11, 2014 9:09 am

I couldn't find any dead pixels either although I only tested at 400asa I cropped in about 400% using after effects. I feel sorry for anyone who keeps getting cameras with dead pixels though. Must be very distressing feeling like its your fault. Probably a bad batch perhaps.
Mark Davies

APAIRUS

PostTue Mar 11, 2014 12:12 pm

They sent me a sealed box and the camera appeared to be untouched. They are responding very promptly with me which is great. Just seems so hard to believe this problem is in two cameras I've had. No possible way it could be issues with my ssds right? I'm gonna lens cap test both of mine and see if the pixels are identical or not. It's more alarming to me how incinsistent the problems are than the problems that are going on.
Bret Kalmbach

John Palaganas

PostTue Mar 11, 2014 3:02 pm

I hope you can get some reassurance directly from BMD that they have actually tried to test it against FPN and dead pixels prior to sending it to you. It would be pointless sending you another new "untested" camera which might have failed QA.

Return to Cinematography