Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt) not working...

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

laylen

Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt) not working...

PostTue Oct 30, 2012 11:58 pm

I have set up and installed Black Magic Media Express and I am attempting to use the shuttle with either a Canon 600D DSLR or a Sony Handy-cam for use at a live stream on saturday. It is very important that I can get it all working before then!

I have gone through every setting in system preferences and Media Express Preferences but to no avail. The Sony camcorder is set to send HDMI out at 1080i 50fps but works with none of the settings on the computer.

Am I missing something obvious? I have scoured the internet looking for solutions but found nothing that has helped. I have tried every setting, I know the shuttle is being picked up and I am able to send audio out (I used one of the test videos to a HDMI monitor, but cannot seem to get any input what so ever.

Esa Kranz

Re: Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt) not working...

PostWed Oct 31, 2012 9:13 am

It is likely that our camera has been designed to be attached to a monitor type of device and thus the EDID handshake will not result with compatible resolution for both source and target.
You might overcome this with using an EDID capture device, or a splitter which has an in-built EDID copy function.
EDID capture device:
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=8005
Splitter:
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=8475
Esa Kranz
Product Manager at Hedcom
Blackmagic Reseller, Finland
www.hedcom.fi/home

laylen

PostWed Oct 31, 2012 9:44 am

Surly with a regular camcorder it should be coming out in a normal signal though? I could understand the signal from the DSLR not being standard but the sony handycam should be?

Esa Kranz

PostThu Nov 01, 2012 3:30 pm

Oh yes!
- I was distracted by the Canon so much that I missed the part where you mention testing with Sony as well.
Hmm...have you actually tried recording and playing that file back as independent file, not by Media Express?
Reason for asking is that sometimes Media Express can not produce video overlay on the GUI, but is nevertheless capable of recording. This is due the special nature of how the real time video window is created on desktop, and sometimes video window does not work when recording itself works!
Esa Kranz
Product Manager at Hedcom
Blackmagic Reseller, Finland
www.hedcom.fi/home

Experimentor

PostThu Nov 01, 2012 11:59 pm

Hi,

What do your settings in the Desktop Video Control Panel indicate? They must show the device name, correct Video input and audio input selection. Maybe check if any processing is turned on. If the input is 1080i50, processing is turning it to SD, then Media Express project format would have to be set to SD as well to see any preview.

Another thing to test will be the actual output format of the cameras. Sometimes the camera outputs downconverted video on HDMI/SDI outputs.

Return to Getting Started