2013 Mac Pro & Resolve 10 (Cuda)

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

SHLowlight

2013 Mac Pro & Resolve 10 (Cuda)

PostTue Mar 18, 2014 7:28 pm

Here is a question, my 2013 Mac Pro arrived and after installing Resolve I received the Cuda update warning. I installed the update to the latest version and after a restart I have the warning again.

Resolve appears to be working I have not tested it yet, but I have opened it up and everything appears good. (I was still configuring the system) So my question is:

Can I safely remove Cuda from my system and still work in Resolve using the new Mac Pro ?

I have found a couple methods to remove it, but want to make sure it is okay. The articles talking about the new Mac Pro and Resolve (Cuda) have been a bit vague when talking about this.

If I can remove it, what is the recommended method, or is it better to leave it and ignore the warning, simply closing it out ?

Thanks in advance,
Frank
Sniper's Hide

Frank Glencairn

Re: 2013 Mac Pro & Resolve 10 (Cuda)

PostWed Mar 19, 2014 12:20 am

Are you talking about that new cylinder shaped MacPro?

If so, it doesn't work with cuda, cause the build in GPU cards are not able to support it - hence the error message. I would say it's save to remove it, since there is nothing in your Mac than can deal with Cuda.
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

SHLowlight

PostWed Mar 19, 2014 3:39 am

Thanks for the answer, although it is not quite complete.

Yes, it's a cylinder model, and I understand I have nothing inside that is related to Cuda, my question is more about Resolve I suppose than my Mac Hardware.

Since Resolve installed it, does it need it there ? I guess I was wondering if it emulates something my Mac does not have is the bigger question. Can I remove it without it taking something away from Resolve ?

And lastly, since it's in the preferences now, uninstalling it not as easy as dragging it to my Trash. So I was wondering is anyone else out there is using a New Black Bin Mac Pro with Resolve and what their solution was ? And what was the best method of removing it from the System if it is unnecessary as I suspect.

Thanks again,
Frank
Sniper's Hide

Chris Kenny

PostWed Mar 19, 2014 4:22 am

You can just right-click on the preference panel's icon in System Preferences and remove it. Technically the CUDA libraries will still be installed, I believe (though, of course, they're useless with the ATI GPUs), but you won't get harassed about updating anymore. I'm not aware of any first-party guidance on this subject from Blackmagic, but I did this several weeks ago and it doesn't seem to have caused any problems.

I don't know if actually going and removing the libraries themselves would cause problems... but there's not really a compelling reason to do so. A modern computer has lots of software kicking around to support hardware that any particular user will probably never use; what's a little more matter?
DI Workflow, Nice Dissolve
http://nicedissolve.com

Harris Charalambous

PostWed Mar 19, 2014 7:10 am

I have the same issue on my nMP, I'm tempted to remove the CUDA pane from System Preferences but I would like to know what BMD recommends doing before doing so as it seems that resolve is automatically updating the CUDA drives even when they aren't necessary (AMD Open CL). Thanks!

Philipp

PostWed Mar 19, 2014 4:58 pm

There's actually a few reasons to remove CUDA on the 2013 Mac Pro. Adobe Premiere and After Effects kept crashing on start after installing CUDA. Same goes for Neat Noisd Reduction Plugin. Apparently those programs got confused and tried to run cuda even though it is not supported on an ATI card.

I really wish there was an option to install resolve without cuda. It gave us a bunch if problems.

SHLowlight

PostWed Mar 19, 2014 5:13 pm

I would think someone from BlackMagic would have installed it on a new Mac Pro and have a definitive answer ? You would think that this would have been addressed pretty quickly after they started coming out. As I said above anything I read was vague at best.

I am definitely opting towards removing it completely, but like others have said, I want to make sure it won't create another layer of issues. Also, I would suspect every update puts it back, as it's part of the Resolve install.

Do you completely remove it, or just pull it from the System Preferences Pane, a solid answer would be great.
Frank
Sniper's Hide

Mitutoyo

PostTue Mar 25, 2014 3:42 pm

I removed the Cuda driver from my new Mac Pro which resulted in After Effects crashing on start. I installed the 5.5.28 driver and everything started working correctly. I then updated to the 5.5.47 driver and once again I couldn't open After Effects. Reinstalled 5.5.28 and my Mac is happy again.

Return to Post Production