Sun Spots Cineroid EVF4RVW

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

patman

Sun Spots Cineroid EVF4RVW

PostFri Mar 21, 2014 7:52 pm

If I leave my monitor exposed to sun for just a second I get yellow spots on screen. Not sure if using the Cineroid EVF4RVW outdoors is even possible. My screen is covered. 6 months old. Not sure it will last a year. Does anybody else have this experience?

sean mclennan

Re: Sun Spots Cineroid EVF4RVW

PostFri Mar 21, 2014 8:15 pm

patman wrote:If I leave my monitor exposed to sun for just a second I get yellow spots on screen. Not sure if using the Cineroid EVF4RVW outdoors is even possible. My screen is covered. 6 months old. Not sure it will last a year. Does anybody else have this experience?

Just don't point the eye cup towards the sun and you should be fine. That or get into the habit of flipping open the viewfinder until you need to look through it. To my knowledge, there is no closing/blocking mechanism on the Cineroid.

Peter Östlund

PostSat Mar 22, 2014 5:47 pm

I have an Alphatron EV and have the same experience. It takes just a few seconds and you have a new white blob in you wf. The Alphatron has a eyepeace shutter but you tend to forget to close it when working. I have now ordered a replacement kit and will change the screen to a clean one. I wonder for how long.

Peter

Jules Bushell

PostSat Mar 22, 2014 6:57 pm

Peter Östlund wrote:I have an Alphatron EV and have the same experience. It takes just a few seconds and you have a new white blob in you wf. The Alphatron has a eyepeace shutter but you tend to forget to close it when working. I have now ordered a replacement kit and will change the screen to a clean one. I wonder for how long.

Peter

Thanks for the warning. I didn't know the problem was that bad. Just starting to get some sunshine in the UK.

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

Adam Jeal

PostSat Mar 22, 2014 8:08 pm

sean mclennan wrote:
patman wrote:If I leave my monitor exposed to sun for just a second I get yellow spots on screen. Not sure if using the Cineroid EVF4RVW outdoors is even possible. My screen is covered. 6 months old. Not sure it will last a year. Does anybody else have this experience?

Just don't point the eye cup towards the sun and you should be fine. That or get into the habit of flipping open the viewfinder until you need to look through it. To my knowledge, there is no closing/blocking mechanism on the Cineroid.

There is an eyepiece 'stopper' provided in the kit to prevent screen burnout.

Adam
Adam Jeal
Acoustic Space Productions Ltd
www.acoustic-space.com
www.static-film.com
www.twitter.com/adamjeal

Return to Cinematography