Tiffen IRND 1.8

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

JeremyDulac

Tiffen IRND 1.8

PostSat Mar 22, 2014 9:05 pm

So i just decided to grab a Tiffen irnd 1.8 for my sigma 18-35 & bmpcc combo, and was curious what peoples opinions are on the next filter i should buy? I thought 1.8 was a good starting point, and when i get some more extra cash i will probably get another. Ive heard the 2.1 is crap with the bmpcc, so i will avoid that for sure. Im thinking maybe a .9 ND would be a good next buy to cover my basis as i add on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by JeremyDulac on Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Weathersby

Re: Tiffen IRND 1.8

PostSat Mar 22, 2014 9:55 pm

I saw that Philip Bloom was using this variable ND on his blog while testing the BM4k. Might be something you may want to look into. So you aren't piecing together a lot of ND filters.

http://www.lcfilter.com/#!product/prd3/ ... 253a-april)

AdrianSierkowski

PostSat Mar 22, 2014 10:39 pm

I haven't ever really needed a 1.8. Normally I stuck with a 1.5, but a 1.2 would also be good to have.

If you could you'd probably want to grad ND.6, ND.9, NDIR1.2, NDIR1.5 and then some ND Grads.
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography
http://www.adriansierkowski.com
adrian@adriansierkowski.com

JeremyDulac

PostSun Mar 23, 2014 2:42 am

Michael Weathersby wrote:I saw that Philip Bloom was using this variable ND on his blog while testing the BM4k. Might be something you may want to look into. So you aren't piecing together a lot of ND filters.

http://www.lcfilter.com/#!product/prd3/ ... 253a-april)

Thanks, Michael!

JeremyDulac

PostSun Mar 23, 2014 2:44 am

AdrianSierkowski wrote:I haven't ever really needed a 1.8. Normally I stuck with a 1.5, but a 1.2 would also be good to have.

If you could you'd probably want to grad ND.6, ND.9, NDIR1.2, NDIR1.5 and then some ND Grads.

Thanks, Adrian. Im leaning toward a .9 and .6 or a irnd1.2. Oohhh the choices!!

Scott Pultz

PostSun Mar 23, 2014 4:14 am

I would get rid of the Tiffen IRND and get Hoya ProND and a Hoya IR filter. You can read why on the BMC user website.

AdrianSierkowski

PostSun Mar 23, 2014 5:18 am

For me, the 1.5 Schneider NDIR liveson my cam in daylight.Simply the best I've used for IR. However all my non IR are Tiffens, though Schneiders are also top notch.
The biggest conundrum I had was whether to get a Soft Edge (SE) or Hard Edge (HE) ND Grad. I opted for soft, Tiffen .6 and .9 I don't much see the point of a .3 ND filter 99% of the time.

I also am very wary about any vari NDs out there, due to the fact they're basically pola filters with all the attendant things to watch out for there-with.
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography

JeremyDulac

PostSun Mar 23, 2014 2:31 pm

Scott P wrote:I would get rid of the Tiffen IRND and get Hoya ProND and a Hoya IR filter. You can read why on the BMC user website.

I read the 2.1 is bad on the blackmagic cameras but ive heard good things about the others.

JeremyDulac

PostSun Mar 23, 2014 2:33 pm

AdrianSierkowski wrote:The biggest conundrum I had was whether to get a Soft Edge (SE) or Hard Edge (HE) ND Grad. I opted for soft, Tiffen .6 and .9 I don't much see the point of a .3 ND filter 99% of the time.

In your opinion, what is the difference?

AdrianSierkowski

PostSun Mar 23, 2014 2:56 pm

Well one has a gradient and the other is more a line, where it cuts. I just figured a gradient would be better, and more subtle, which is what I normally do.
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography

Patrick Finnegan

PostSun Mar 23, 2014 3:27 pm

AdrianSierkowski wrote: I don't much see the point of a .3 ND filter 99% of the time.

Whats nice about having a selection of standard nd 3 and nd6 in your kit, is that you don't have to have the more expensive IR versions--you can stack a regular ND3 for instance with an IRND 1.2 and give yourself another stop of diffusion without paying an infrared penalty in the image as most sensors don't seem to really start to show the affects of IR pollution until you are in grades above nd6 or so.

Much cheaper than having an IRND1.2 and an IRND1.5.

Don't forget, however that unless you have the IRND hot mirror combo, you need to add a hot mirror to the outer stage for wavelengths 750nm and above.
Finnegan's Wake Films
Director/ Cameraman

AdrianSierkowski

PostSun Mar 23, 2014 3:41 pm

No I get that, but at the same time, I'm personally happy living with a 1 stop difference, ya know? So for example, if I want to be at a T4, but i'm at a 5.6, well, for most everything this doesn't bother me too much.
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography

Scott Pultz

PostSun Mar 23, 2014 5:44 pm

JeremyDulac wrote:
Scott P wrote:I would get rid of the Tiffen IRND and get Hoya ProND and a Hoya IR filter. You can read why on the BMC user website.

I read the 2.1 is bad on the blackmagic cameras but ive heard good things about the others.

The Hoya Pro are much better at being consistent. I have had both and there are plenty of samples on the other website to show how they stack up (no pun intended!). You can also get them at a discount right now as a 5-filter set.

One can get away with the Tiffen IRND, but if you are starting out I would at least check out the other options.

Keith Jefferies

PostSun Mar 23, 2014 7:45 pm

AdrianSierkowski wrote:Well one has a gradient and the other is more a line, where it cuts. I just figured a gradient would be better, and more subtle, which is what I normally do.

Since both are normally out of focus—as they're right up next to the lens—you'd expect to get a thinner soft edge from the HE grad and the broader soft edge from the SE grad. Putting them in a rotating filter holder is often handy too.
Keith Jefferies

AdrianSierkowski

PostSun Mar 23, 2014 9:08 pm

I choose the SE for the granular control of just how much ND to use. I also find it great when I throw it in my geared filter tray so I can slide it up and down with a tilt as needed. I couldn't do that with a HE. Though a HE would be great, if say I was shooting around the corner of a building and needed to ND the street so to speak.
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography

JeremyDulac

PostSun Mar 23, 2014 11:44 pm

Scott P wrote:
JeremyDulac wrote:

The Hoya Pro are much better at being consistent. I have had both and there are plenty of samples on the other website to show how they stack up (no pun intended!). You can also get them at a discount right now as a 5-filter set.

One can get away with the Tiffen IRND, but if you are starting out I would at least check out the other options.

Thanks for that bit of info! I will definitely look into that. Discounts are a very tempting thing, when you are in the market ha

Return to Cinematography