What vintage lens mounts for bmcc ef

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

joechiazza

What vintage lens mounts for bmcc ef

PostMon Mar 24, 2014 9:48 pm

What vintage lens mounts fit on the bmcc ef mount natively without an adapter to focus infinity? Any?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisBarcellos

Re: What vintage lens mounts for bmcc ef

PostMon Mar 24, 2014 10:30 pm

joechiazza wrote:What vintage lens mounts fit on the bmcc ef mount natively without an adapter to focus infinity? Any?

I have Nikon and Pentax K mount lens adapters that convert each lens to fit and focus to infinity on an EF camera. I have used them on my Canon 5D Mark II for years, and now use them on my BMCC EF with satisfactory results. I assume you are asking about vintage lenses that are not automatic. The adapters I have are fairly cheap ($7 to $20), and I have noted that on occasion some close focus is lost, and infinity is crossed before the lens is played to stop. To me that is symptomatic of less than exacting tolerances on the cheaper adapters, though it seems to vary from lens to lens, so other factors may be at work.

Dustin Boswell

Re: What vintage lens mounts for bmcc ef

PostMon Mar 24, 2014 11:11 pm

joechiazza wrote:What vintage lens mounts fit on the bmcc ef mount natively without an adapter to focus infinity? Any?

The Canon EF Mount hasn't been around long enough for any lenses to really be considred Vintage as it was the immediate replacement of their mechanical FD mount. Hence, why you need an adapter to mount/focus the lens to infinity for an EF Mount.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF_lens_mount

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_FD_lens_mount

It's the reason why I suggest to people investing in lens to go with either the Nikon lens mount or PL mounted. Unfortunately because Canon lenses due to their mount are somewhat less adaptable to other lenses without having issues (you can't put a Canon lens on a Nikon) and losing all of the electronic functions of the lens.

:|
"Fix it in Prep"- 1st A.D.'s Motto
Dustin Boswell
Director/Writer and periodically Camera Department.

Return to Cinematography