EVF not working

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jimmy Tan

EVF not working

PostTue Apr 01, 2014 1:22 am

Hi guys not sure if any of you has experienced this before, i was using my cineroid EVF4RVW (Retina Display) and half way during the shoot the screen just went blue. Its like there was no signal and its just displaying a blue screen. It was a sunny day but my eyeloupe was up.

sean mclennan

Re: EVF not working

PostTue Apr 01, 2014 3:09 am

did it display a picture after the shoot? Did you try it again? Did you try different EVF or LCDs? Is it the camera's output or the EVFs input?

some more details would be nice...

João Gomes

PostTue Apr 01, 2014 3:24 am

Jimmy81 wrote:Hi guys not sure if any of you has experienced this before, i was using my cineroid EVF4RVW (Retina Display) and half way during the shoot the screen just went blue. Its like there was no signal and its just displaying a blue screen. It was a sunny day but my eyeloupe was up.

I've had that happen to me with the same EVF and it turned out that the camera's SDI out burned both itself and my EVF's SDI in. Had to send the camera to Blackmagic and the EVF to B&H where they exchanged it for a new one.

Since then i bought a new BMCC and i haven't had the chance to test it with my new EVF.
Cameraman/Editor

Jimmy Tan

PostTue Apr 01, 2014 3:35 am

sean mclennan wrote:did it display a picture after the shoot? Did you try it again? Did you try different EVF or LCDs? Is it the camera's output or the EVFs input?

It had a display during the shoot but i turned it off after one of the scenes and when i turned it on for the next scene it just went blank. I am going to try it with another EVF later on hopefully it works.

João Gomes wrote:
Jimmy81 wrote:Hi guys not sure if any of you has experienced this before, i was using my cineroid EVF4RVW (Retina Display) and half way during the shoot the screen just went blue. Its like there was no signal and its just displaying a blue screen. It was a sunny day but my eyeloupe was up.

I've had that happen to me with the same EVF and it turned out that the camera's SDI out burned both itself and my EVF's SDI in. Had to send the camera to Blackmagic and the EVF to B&H where they exchanged it for a new one.

Since then i bought a new BMCC and i haven't had the chance to test it with my new EVF.

Ouch...

sean mclennan

PostTue Apr 01, 2014 3:39 am

Jimmy81 wrote:
sean mclennan wrote:did it display a picture after the shoot? Did you try it again? Did you try different EVF or LCDs? Is it the camera's output or the EVFs input?

It had a display during the shoot but i turned it off after one of the scenes and when i turned it on for the next scene it just went blank. I am going to try it with another EVF later on hopefully it works.

João Gomes wrote:

Ouch...

keep us posted!

Jimmy Tan

PostTue Apr 01, 2014 8:45 am

Ok an update....

Tested with Atomos Samurai Blade with new SDI cable, no input detected. But when i connect the Atomos with another camera with SDI input it was working fine. So i contacted Blackmagic and they agreed to do a 1 to 1 exchange for my set.

As for the EVF i think i will be using for my new set and hopfully (Fingers crossed) nothing goes wrong this time.

João Gomes

PostTue Apr 01, 2014 12:21 pm

Does your EVF work with another camera?
Cameraman/Editor

Jimmy Tan

PostWed Apr 02, 2014 2:10 am

João Gomes wrote:Does your EVF work with another camera?

I haven tried it out yet, update you once i get the chance to try it out.

Return to Cinematography