Big and heavy, but cheap battery :-)

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author
Deloix

Big and heavy, but cheap battery :-)

PostSat Apr 05, 2014 2:01 pm

Hi guys, I want ask you what do you think about my battery solution what I plan for my camera, which I will buy next month.

These batteries are used as backup batteries in security systems and in PC backup UPS stations and on many other places.
I talking about this model Image which sell many companies (Panasonic too) under different names but everytime with these parameters:

12V / 7.2 Ah (86 Wh) if your device consume only around 4W, If device consume 20W like BMPC4K capacity of battery decrease to 4.2Ah (50Wh)(according to official battery characteristic) until it falls under 11 Volts which is minimum for 4k camera. (full charged battery have more then 12.5V)... so with this 20 dollar battery you can power 4k camera for 2.5 hours. It is still theory and I want know what do you think guys, if it will work how I plan it?

(+) and (-)
+ cheap battery 20-30 USD > 150 min. of shooting.
+ many charging cycles, up to 1000
+ special charger which can charge two batteries at once cost around 50 USD
+ if you have many of these batteries you can power your lights or another things when shooting out.
+ reliable battery tested in hundreds of devices

- battery is heavy (2.2 Kg or 5 pounds) but on shoulderrig you dont need counterweight anymore :D or you can carry battery in your backpack with long cable.
- maybe is to big for some situations.

I know that there is more comfortable solutions with smaller, but expensive batteries on V-mount, but filmmaking will be only my hobby for now and saved money I can spend on better lenses and another equip :-)

Thanks for any responses.

Josh Flori

Re: Big and heavy, but cheap battery :-)

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 1:30 am

I don't know the tech, but I would gladly carry 5 extra lbs for something that cheap

Abe Loftis

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 2:17 am

I have ran similar batteries off of a belt but was disappointed at their lifespan. Lasted about a year but probably because they were generic replacements.

timclague

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 8:29 am

I am using this (well, very similar, slightly different name but looks identical). It works well for tripod based set ups as I used some cheap carry bags I had that happened to fit the battery just right - and these can hang on the legs, giving weight.

I found at 10Ah version that is only slightly larger and heavier - almost 5 hrs of power. Once you are dealing with that size and weight you may as well go for it! The next jump up after that was much more cumbersome and didn't fit the bags I had.

Deloix

PostSun Apr 06, 2014 10:28 am

Abe Loftis wrote:I have ran similar batteries off of a belt but was disappointed at their lifespan. Lasted about a year but probably because they were generic replacements.

You think lifespan when shooting and use it once? or battery life when decrease capacity over months until it's unusable? Because it depends on the manufacturer... every this batery are made in china but, I think that $30 Panasonic will be better with more charging cycles than $20 "no name" battery.

Return to Cinematography