No More Extended Desktop Under 9.9.2 DeckLink HD Extreme 3D+

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Luis Otero

No More Extended Desktop Under 9.9.2 DeckLink HD Extreme 3D+

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 11:04 pm

Hello,

Just upgraded to Desktop Video 9.9.2, and the Extended Desktop is no longer available for the DeckLink HD Extreme 3D+ (Mac). Is this an intentional "upgrade", or just a boo-boo? :o

Please advise,
Luis Otero, CSI

Luis Otero

Re: No More Extended Desktop Under 9.9.2 DeckLink HD Extreme

PostSun Nov 24, 2013 6:01 pm

Any body experiencing the same thing?
Luis Otero, CSI

Matt Hoecker

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 7:19 pm

I have the Decklink HD Extreme and hadn't updated my driver in a while. As I posted in another thread that I started, Mavericks seems to have messed up my settings so that when "Extended Desktop" is selected, the only monitor size I can choose to output over SDI is 2048x1556 23, 24 or 25 hz.

It's actually hooked up to a switcher wanting a 720p signal. Always was able to do this fine before Mavericks. So I upgraded to DS10.0 (and then 10.1 today) and extended desktop option is gone. Went back and found the last to have that option is 9.7.8.

Can we get a comment about why it's gone and whether it's coming back. It is a vital piece of our production workflow and I need to know whether I need to upgrade to a newer Decklink card or what.

Matt Hoecker

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 7:24 pm

And another update, I just found this interesting tidbit about my monitor resolution problem:

Mavericks offers a lot less resolution options in the "Scaled" list than 10.8 or earlier did. This can be a particularly severe problem if the resolutions that it thinks your projector supports are not, in fact, supported by it at all, as was the case with my setup.The fix for showing the extended list of possible resolutions in Mavericks is undocumented, so far as I can find, but incredibly easy:

In the Displays preference pane, hold down the option key and click the "Scaled" radio button. This will toggle on and off additional resolutions for the device (including more scaled resolutions for the built-in display in MacBooks).

I'm not aware of any radio button ever having worked that way before, so it's easy to miss.

If your external display isn't showing an image at all because the OS got its "native" resolution wrong, you will of course have to click the "Gather Windows" button at the bottom of the preference pane to bring the window for the blanked-out display over to the working one, where you can then option-click it and select a good resolution.

Though I'm back to running everything as I was, I would still like to know why Extended Desktop is gone in the newer versions. Is it gone for everybody, or just legacy devices? As far as I know I'm not missing much improvement or added features, at least nothing I noticed in the brief 2 week period I was running 10.0.

Luis Otero

PostWed Nov 30, 2022 1:49 pm

I know that I opened this thread almost 20 years ago. I don’t recall any explanation for the rationale for the disappearance of such feature. Any oficial response ever provided?
Luis Otero, CSI

Jack Fairley

PostWed Nov 30, 2022 9:20 pm

I think Mavericks removed components required to do this on a Mac, and BMD didn't like the feature since it wasn't an accurate picture, if I remember correctly.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Return to Getting Started