New Blackmagic URSA memory card. 60GB = $650

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Anthony Lefty

New Blackmagic URSA memory card. 60GB = $650

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 4:55 pm

Aside from being as pissed as everyone else with no firmware update, I already foresee issues with the URSA. It used Cfast cards, and right now a 60gb card is $650. No thanks. Basically Ill get, what - 15 mins of footage on one card and have to swap?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... cfast.html
Ant Lefty
*Reel 3 Films
*The Indie Tool Box

Tim Callaghan

Re: New Blackmagic URSA memory card. 60GB = $650

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 6:07 pm

About $1,100 for 256GB. Not cheap, but it's in line with a high bit rate 6k cam. Panasonic P2s were as expensive in the day so I'm lead to believe.

brent k

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 6:16 pm

Cfast is slower than SSD. I think it was a form factor issue. The Atomos I have handles every HDD/SSD I've thrown at it, so it can't be a technical issue.

sean mclennan

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 6:36 pm

brent k wrote:Cfast is slower than SSD. I think it was a form factor issue. The Atomos I have handles every HDD/SSD I've thrown at it, so it can't be a technical issue.

Don't forget, it's DUAL Cfast. Perhaps this is the key to getting UHD @ 60p

Trevor Zuck

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 7:17 pm

sean mclennan wrote:
brent k wrote:Cfast is slower than SSD. I think it was a form factor issue. The Atomos I have handles every HDD/SSD I've thrown at it, so it can't be a technical issue.

It's CFast 2.0...
3840x2160 ProRes 422 HQ @60fps is 1768Mb/s or 221MB/s
Cfast 2.0 is at minimum above 300MB/s...

Regular CFast is like around 100MB/s so getting 4K @24fps shouldn't be a problem, nor 1080p footage.
- TZ

Visual FX and Post Production Artist
Screenscape Studios

brent k

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 7:24 pm

sean mclennan wrote:

Dual Cfast 2.0 is still slower than a single SSD. You don't get perfect scaling in stripe modes.

Jules Bushell

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 7:39 pm

Will the CFast card be more reliable than SSDs?

I guess when you are paying more for a camera, you now expect greater reliability for the media storage.

It also will mean BMD customer support really does need improving if they are to support the greater percentage of professional productions using this camera. That I see might be an issue.

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

sean mclennan

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 7:44 pm

brent k wrote:
sean mclennan wrote:

Dual Cfast 2.0 is still slower than a single SSD. You don't get perfect scaling in stripe modes.

I think it will depend on the actual benchmarks used. My CF cards have always copied data at their published rates. (i.e., Sandisk Extreme 95MB/sec copy at 93MB/sec) whereas my sandisk Extreme SSD do NOT copy at 525 MB/sec. More like 400MB/sec.

Anyway, it's all objective until we can to some actual tests.

brent k

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 8:00 pm

sean mclennan wrote:
brent k wrote:
sean mclennan wrote:

I think it will depend on the actual benchmarks used. My CF cards have always copied data at their published rates. (i.e., Sandisk Extreme 95MB/sec copy at 93MB/sec) whereas my sandisk Extreme SSD do NOT copy at 525 MB/sec. More like 400MB/sec.

Anyway, it's all objective until we can to some actual tests.
Yeah, the point may be moot too, as it depends on the compression of the raw. One single Cfast card may be enough to do 4K raw 60p, you know, when that firmware update comes out :lol:

rick.lang

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 8:16 pm

Brent, there has certainly been many concerns expressed in the past about SSDs in the BMCC and BMPC4K cameras. Using off-the-shelf SSDs from a recommended list provided by BMD can work, but many people felt they should be able to use any SSD that appeared to meet the speed requirements which could lead to unreliable performance. Even the approved drives could fail of course so never a guarantee of success.

Perhaps BMD rethought what they should put in their new high-end multi-purpose camera and went with the CFast cards to provide greater performance consistency and reliability. The cost is always a concern, but where reliability must be paramount, it may be money well spent. Using dual SSDs to provide the same non-stop recording functionality in the URSA would likely also have taken more space in the camera and may have generated more heat. The non-stop recording capability is a bonus as most everyone will appreciate having that option. Just speculation on my part...

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Bill Rich

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 8:29 pm

If you are using a high-end camera that shoots 4K (or even less) get used to the new CFast cards..
The Arri Amira, and the new version of the C500 is going to use them as well. I'm sure others will follow suit.
Bill Rich
PhotoJournalist/Editor/Producer
Los Angeles, California

brent k

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 8:45 pm

rick.lang wrote:Brent, there has certainly been many concerns expressed in the past about SSDs in the BMCC and BMPC4K cameras. Using off-the-shelf SSDs from a recommended list provided by BMD can work, but many people felt they should be able to use any SSD that appeared to meet the speed requirements which could lead to unreliable performance. Even the approved drives could fail of course so never a guarantee of success.

Perhaps BMD rethought what they should put in their new high-end multi-purpose camera and went with the CFast cards to provide greater performance consistency and reliability. The cost is always a concern, but where reliability must be paramount, it may be money well spent. Using dual SSDs to provide the same non-stop recording functionality in the URSA would likely also have taken more space in the camera and may have generated more heat. The non-stop recording capability is a bonus as most everyone will appreciate having that option. Just speculation on my part...

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD
I agree, but I wouldn't waste my time with the Cfast cards unless they come way way down in price. You can get the new 4K raw Atomos for less than one Cfast card, and you can throw just about any 2.5 HDD/SSD at the things.

I actually use the Atomos to do all my non 4K recording, since I buy the $40 Hitachi 7200 HDDs.

Return to Cinematography