BMD Response to Firmware Update

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

David Hessel

BMD Response to Firmware Update

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 9:21 pm

Kristian Lam wrote:Hi

We are working on an update that is in testing and already with some beta testers.

This next updates includes:

1. New debayering for shooting directly to ProRes or DNxHD on the Blackmagic Cinema Camera

2. Improved MFT lens support on the Pocket Cinema Camera.

3. RAW support on the Production Camera 4K.

4. Autofocus support for EF lenses on Blackmagic Cinema Camera EF and Production Camera 4K

This release should be out within a month's time from today.

Just moved this from the "We Demand Thread". But seriously what are the folks at BMD thinking. They could have just released this on the forum right before the announcement today and avoided most of this sh*t storm today.
David Hessel

brent k

Re: BMD Response to Firmware Update

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 9:25 pm

They could simply release firmware with the Beta tag, like every other company on the planet. I find it very hard to believe they have something.

Emanuel Neculai

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 9:27 pm

i was expecting this sharknado :) . No one minds the announcement of the new cameras as long as all the released models will be worked on with the same diligence as the new models.

Theodore Prentice

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 9:27 pm

brent k wrote:They could simply release firmware with the Beta tag...

was just about to post the exact same thing.
My camera is out of warranty, open up the beta firmware and let me choose to participate in the feedback

Rude

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 9:36 pm

dhessel wrote:
Kristian Lam wrote:Hi

We are working on an update that is in testing and already with some beta testers.

This next updates includes:

1. New debayering for shooting directly to ProRes or DNxHD on the Blackmagic Cinema Camera

2. Improved MFT lens support on the Pocket Cinema Camera.

3. RAW support on the Production Camera 4K.

4. Autofocus support for EF lenses on Blackmagic Cinema Camera EF and Production Camera 4K

This release should be out within a month's time from today.

Just moved this from the "We Demand Thread". But seriously what are the folks at BMD thinking. They could have just released this on the forum right before the announcement today and avoided most of this sh*t storm today.

Last edited by Rude on Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Emanuel Neculai

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 9:40 pm

Also can someone please make a post with a list of features that should be implemented in software updates per camera , so that BM can see what the demand is and make decisions on what should be worked on first.
I have been following this forum for the past year. Never posted because i never felt the need to.
But what I can say is that i trust this community to pull together and be focused and concise in what it is we are trying to accomplish. Let's be constructive and organised.

I just bought the new BMPC4k camera, and even with it's shortcomings i will be keeping it. I would make that post but i simply do not know enough about the other cameras to do so.

Makeevstyle

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 9:55 pm

Emanuel Neculai wrote:Also can someone please make a post with a list of features that should be implemented in software updates per camera , so that BM can see what the demand is and make decisions on what should be worked on first.
I have been following this forum for the past year. Never posted because i never felt the need to.
But what I can say is that i trust this community to pull together and be focused and concise in what it is we are trying to accomplish. Let's be constructive and organised.

I just bought the new BMPC4k camera, and even with it's shortcomings i will be keeping it. I would make that post but i simply do not know enough about the other cameras to do so.

That's right!

David Hessel

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 9:55 pm

They already know, a lot of them already made it into the URSA.
David Hessel

Kevin DeOliveira

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 9:59 pm

As p'd off as I am, this put a smile on my face, haha.
BMPC4k / BMPCC / URSA Mini (Pre-order)
kevdeo.com

David Corigliano

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 10:09 pm

dhessel wrote:
Kristian Lam wrote:This release should be out within a month's time from today.

BMD cameras are announced in April and ship in "July" and are usually actually available by Spring of the following year... Therefore "3 months" equals "12 months" roughly, so "one month" equals about 4 months? Looking forward to the August firmware update. Nothing like waiting a year for your camera, and another six months for it to work properly...
David Corigliano

Mac Jaeger

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 10:15 pm

It is widely known that hardware manufacturers save costs by moving the beta stage of a new product to the customers. Some could say that BlackMagicDesign has gone one step further and even included us in their market surveys by giving us restricted, incomplete toys and then listening for what features the customers demand most.

Still I'm very happy with my restricted and incomplete toy! None of the new cameras can offer the one feature i bought the pocket cam for: it's unique portability.

David Hessel

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 10:23 pm

kevdeo wrote:

As p'd off as I am, this put a smile on my face, haha.

I was going to say all of them but who knows if the camera suffers from the black sun or FPN at this point.
David Hessel

Kevin DeOliveira

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 10:44 pm

The ultimate punchline will be if only the ursa has the horsepower to do FPN noise cancelation in camera. That would be nothing less than evil.

Praying that's not true.
BMPC4k / BMPCC / URSA Mini (Pre-order)
kevdeo.com

Yavor Dimitrov

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 10:46 pm

And what about the fixed noise pattern and the purple grid issues? What's the point of any update before these fundemental shot breakers are fixed?

Return to Cinematography