Why Cfast cards??? And Battery life? Ursa Design?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

REVERY

PostMon Apr 07, 2014 11:26 pm

The Ursa looks like an amazing camera, but it still has some things that make this camera possibly unusable until a future time.

Why decide on Cfast cards they are not even available on the market? 120gb Sandisk extreme what is that? 30min of record time? Yet another camera limited to only 1hr record time, when are we going back to at least 2hrs for lectures, conferences, meetings etc. Looks like we still need to keep a camera for every occasion.

http://www.sandisk.com/products/memory-cards/cfastpro/
http://www.lexar.com/products/lexar-pro ... cfast-card

Then the cost of these cards are huge, yet another non versatile medium, yes the price will go down, but by the time that happens Blackmagic releases a new camera with another format. Where is this going?

They say the camera is future proof or changeable I wonder if they will bring a compartment to replace the CF back to SSD.

Let now think about URSA's battery life we all know that Blackmagic's history with camera battery life does not last. Think about it this camera is operating 3 LCDs and Big led interface, plus an amazing cooling system, the battery life on a Blackmagic is not going to last long, I know we are using external batteries, but have we heard how long they last?

The camera's design and configuration looks amazing, great ideas and conveniently put together. I just think now it's also the type of camera that looks a little over conspicuous that you are recording something, too many lights and wisbangs on it. You won't get away with it on the field that for sure, but I do understand that the target market of this camera is not for small setups, we are looking at crews and large shoots. The great thing is we are starting to look professional again with all the mounts and finally xlr inputs needed, but that said I do think the looks and design would have been better if they did shrink some of the features, particularly the LED meters. When looking at this camera at first it just reminded me, of an action packed camera full of features, but then I thought of the Beverly Hills Cop 3 weapon that they used in the movie http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/7228/l20022nx3.jpg

Did we forget about thunderbolt connectivity, I thought that was a key feature to be developed further?

Overall the camera does look tempting, the amount of features on it you would have a pay a lot extra trying to piece the BMCC or BMPC4k together to get what it has, but I'm still waiting to here some more details about the battery life and recording medium, because this is most important and really effects whether we have bought a useful tool or another brick. We still won't know about sensor issues but that's something we have to risk when the time comes, I'm sure when there is a sensor issue blackmagic can just send the sensor part for a replacement instead of the whole unit, that's a plus there!

Pavel Lavrov

Re: Why Cfast cards??? And Battery life? Ursa Design?

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 12:10 am

Simple answer. Because too many people complained about their SSD issues... too bad. Now they only have to meet one requirement, CFast card specs.. not every other SSD that is not made for video recording, but for computers...
Pavel L

Scott Pultz

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 12:23 am

This is a pro camera where the cost of media is not a huge consideration. Batteries can be swapped. Again not a consideration I doubt.

Pavel Lavrov

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 12:23 am

Geoff Baxter wrote:I doubt it, more likely it was done because of space considerations in the camera body.

You think so? Who said it has to in the body. I wouldn't mind if SSD would stick out a bit. But it looks like only Atomos got their technology working SSDs and HDDs, the rest use specific cards...

I don't know if you seen their new "shogun" recorder but they've managed to fit SSD with caddy right on the back of the recorder, and it's not much thicker then URSAs big monitor...

btw Atomos shogun instead that big monitor would be killer combo...
Pavel L

Pavel Lavrov

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 12:31 am

Geoff Baxter wrote:Yes, I like the new Shogun, in fact it tempts me a lot. But I do think the Ursa package is not as easy to fit the SSDs into with both sides being occupied by screens. Mind you, I wonder if BMD though about combining with Atomos to provide an external recorder for the Ursa.

After all, they are just down the road from each other, but who knows if they talk to each other :lol:

That would be awesome if they would have made it more modular. So we can use Shogun as main monitor, it has touch screen and all...

And as far as space goes, there's plenty of space in the back of that 10" screen, in fact more than enough for two SSDs... if only they used it... it's much cheaper per GB then CFast cards...
Pavel L

REVERY

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 12:48 am

I don't think we know what we can and can't switch off to save battery life, I'm sure the LCD flap out will turn off two screens if you close it, but as you know Blackmagic menus have not been that advance, not giving many options to change things. Great that people are thinking that compact flash is going to give better results than SSD, but I again say, where are they, there is not many options on the market, at this stage you may have to record externally.

brent k

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 12:56 am

In my opinion, the Atomos or similar is a must have item. It gives you options on location, for example, if you have to rent a camera, switch devices, use universal media that may be the only thing available, etc. I wish Atomos made an EVF with the same recording features.

REVERY

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 3:28 am

Any news if this camera can handle low light situation? Or is the sensor the same as the production camera?

Stewart Fairweather

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 6:32 am

Geoff Baxter wrote:After all, they are just down the road from each other, but who knows if they talk to each other :lol:

I'd hope not - everyone I know who has Atomos gear say they love it, and it worked as claimed straight out of the box.

rick.lang

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 6:23 pm

REVERY wrote:Any news if this camera can handle low light situation? Or is the sensor the same as the production camera?

It appears the sensor itself is the same as the BMPC4K but other chips and code may be different so we need to wait and see if it performs differently in action.

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Keith Jefferies

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 6:33 pm

REVERY wrote:Why decide on Cfast cards...

Because they fit in the camera body.

REVERY wrote:...they are not even available on the market?

B&H has them in stock right now.

REVERY wrote:120gb Sandisk extreme what is that? 30min of record time?

20 minutes.

REVERY wrote:Yet another camera limited to only 1hr record time, when are we going back to at least 2hrs for lectures, conferences, meetings etc.

The idea of two slots is so you can continuously hot swap the cards to record for as long as you want.

More information here:
Keith Jefferies

joechiazza

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 6:36 pm

Cf cards are a horrible choice. Maybe recording externally is the way to go. Is that possible in raw though??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to Cinematography