Future URSA SDI?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

brent k

Future URSA SDI?

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 1:14 am

I see the URSA has an HDMI connect for DSLRs, but not for the SDI BMCC/PC4K. However, I was thinking, how will I be able to connect my current piece of crap BMPC4K to this future piece of crap URSA, to create the ultimate piece of Crap4K?

You just know that they thought about this, but realized the backlash it would create, so they made it connect to DSLRs, and the pocket probably.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

Re: Future URSA SDI?

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 4:45 am

I don't think the URSA or BMPC-4K are pieces of cr*p (in your words), but I totally agree that it's bizarre that the "URSA HDMI" doesn't also have a HD-SDI input! Why isn't it "URSA HDMI/SDI"*?

*And by "SDI", I mean "HD-SDI", "6G-SDI", "12G-SDI", or whatever the heck BMD is calling it this week, but not standard definition SDI.

If BMD would care to explain their reasoning on this point, I'd love to hear it.

-
Last edited by Peter J. DeCrescenzo on Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rakesh Malik

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 4:50 am

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:I don't think the URSA or BMPC-4K are pieces of cr*p (in your words), but I totally agree that it's bizarre that the "URSA HDMI" doesn't also have a HD-SDI input! Why isn't it "URSA HDMI/SDI"?

If BMD would care to explain their reasoning on this point, I'd love to hear it.

-

I had the same thought. It would turn the Ursa into a very inexpensive rendition of an Arri Alexa M...
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Mark de Jeu

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 5:03 am

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:I don't think the URSA or BMPC-4K are pieces of cr*p (in your words), but I totally agree that it's bizarre that the "URSA HDMI" doesn't also have a HD-SDI input! Why isn't it "URSA HDMI/SDI"?

-
I understand the thought behind the HDMI 'attach your DSLR', but what would you attach that has SDI output?
Mark de Jeu
Video Enthusiast

brent k

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 5:19 am

-

I think it would have been a PR nightmare to have a BMCC/4K connected to that thing. I think it will probably come out with an SDI connection in a few months, but not right now while tempers are flaring.

My BMPC4K is sitting in the box waiting to go back, so it's not really anything to me at this point. Plus, I don't have any confidence in the URSA, it may be a revolutionary camera. However, it doesn't really matter because a product that doesn't have support, is not a serious business tool. If you ever buy an Alexa, you can have the confidence that if something happens to your camera, they will actually get the issue resolved. I've had them actually drive out to me with a new camera.

In the production world, cameras that work are free, the ones that don't, are the ones that cost a lot of money. At several hundred perhaps thousands of dollars a minute, that $80K you saved might turn into a massive loss.

At this NAB, they need to announce a comprehensive support program, that is way more important than more toys.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 5:36 am

Mark de Jeu wrote:

-
I understand the thought behind the HDMI 'attach your DSLR', but what would you attach that has SDI output?

By "SDI", I mean "HD-SDI", "6G-SDI", "12G-SDI", or whatever the heck BMD is calling it this week, but not standard definition SDI.

So, any cam that has a SDI high-definition or 4K output (BMCC, BMPC-4K, etc.)

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 6:21 am

SDI Video Input
1 x 12G-SDI

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/product ... pecs#59866

Am i missing something, or did you guys not read the specs? The deal is it also does 4K HDMI in. The other ones don't have HDMI at all.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 6:47 am

CaptainHook wrote:
SDI Video Input
1 x 12G-SDI

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/product ... pecs#59866

Am i missing something, or did you guys not read the specs? The deal is it also does 4K HDMI in. The other ones don't have HDMI at all.

Ah, thanks for that. Silly me ... The "URSA HDMI" name threw me ... OK, so a BMCC, BMPC-4K, BMPCC, etc. can connect.

-

Return to Cinematography