Thanks For the Update Kristian

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Art Roberts

Re: Thanks For the Update Kristian

PostSat Apr 12, 2014 1:47 am

Thanks Kristian for the open - ended communication. We now feel you are with us; as much as I know you won't be able to respond to every post, bearing different topics. But the effort is much appreciated.
However, the one issue that I believe is of utmost importance is Compressed Raw to the BMCC.
There hasn't been much uproar about it because it seems most owners of the 2.5k are using it for shorts, docs and commercials. If that was the case, then a few terabytes of hard drive space will suffice. But there are those of us who acquired the cam solely for producing full length features. I don't need to explain the maths, since you very well know the mammoth space requirements involved - including backups.
Reference to what I mentioned earlier; even if there was much uproar about Compressed Raw, that wouldn't help solve anything - now that we know that the 2.5k has a different engineering algorithm all together. Shooting in any format different from RAW, clearly undermines why I'm using the 2.5k as both my A and B cams.
At least it will be comforting to know whether it is planned as a future upgrade. Any information you provide will be greatly appreciated.

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Apr 12, 2014 3:07 am

Martin Myrick wrote:Kristian, can you tell us if the Lumix 12-32mm will be supported in this update?

I'm not sure. Are you referring to the O.I.S feature or does it outright not work?

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Apr 12, 2014 3:16 am

Art Roberts wrote:However, the one issue that I believe is of utmost importance is Compressed Raw to the BMCC.

And yet someone else says the most important thing is FPN, and someone else says 'you FPN guys can wait in line...'

It's still just a one page thread and people don't agree on priorities, yet people demand BMD get them straight? :D
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Art Roberts

PostSat Apr 12, 2014 4:05 am

CaptainHook, the quote you provided from my post still bears the phrase " I believe "; which means what I am inferring to is a personal choice. Of course, individual owners have individual priorities when it comes to upgrades; that is why for some of us, we have to choose our words wisely.
Absolutely fine LUTs you contributed though.

SarahChana

PostSat Apr 12, 2014 4:17 am

Adding my thanks to Kristian. I'm really glad to see my BMCC hasn't been forgotten.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Apr 12, 2014 6:34 am

Art Roberts wrote:CaptainHook, the quote you provided from my post still bears the phrase " I believe "

I wasn't try to pick on you, sorry it came off that way. I know they're all opinions, it was just an observation that people say BMD should get their priorities straight, but we as users don't even agree on those priorities. Rock and a hard place. ;) Also thanks for the LUTs comment!

But this thread is for thanking Kris, so back to that - and i add my sincere thanks to Kris also!
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Samjack

PostSat Apr 12, 2014 7:22 am

CaptainHook wrote:
Art Roberts wrote:CaptainHook, the quote you provided from my post still bears the phrase " I believe "

I wasn't try to pick on you, sorry it came off that way. I know they're all opinions, it was just an observation that people say BMD should get their priorities straight, but we as users don't even agree on those priorities. Rock and a hard place. ;) Also thanks for the LUTs comment!

But this thread is for thanking Kris, so back to that - and i add my sincere thanks to Kris also!

Those who don't own a BMPC and uses the BMCC don't necessary appreciate FPN as a priority because it is NOT THEIR problem hence why. I'm sure black sun dot issue is not that a priority for those who solely owns the Pocket camera. Hardly surprising.
Though I would say this. Any delay in bringing out a fix to the FPN on the BMPC will have some effect on the URSA preorders because it uses the same sensor and some might not want to risk it.

LDS

PostSat Apr 12, 2014 10:39 am

I was really (really really) hoping that audio quality in the 2.5K was on your list of issues to be fixed. Will this problem ever be addressed? The suspense is killing me.

Jonathan Dubsky

PostSat Apr 12, 2014 12:26 pm

Fix grid pattern on BMPCC please :)

Ulysses Paiva

PostSat Apr 12, 2014 12:35 pm

As some already said, Compressed Raw is the only thing missing in the updates. It would be amazingly great. I could shoot all my projects in Raw.

Safe margins grid/overlay would be of much use too, practcally all the time and should be a simple addition to make. But between the two, surely I'd stick with compressed Raw.
Ulysses Paiva

Sebem

PostSat Apr 12, 2014 12:42 pm

Clearly Grid/Fpn patern is the most important thing to do on the 4K.
- My first 4K camera got the parten in mid/low tone on 200/400/800 asa ->Return to blackmagic
- My 2nd one got the same but its quite few perceptible. I can work with it, but I'm thinking return it too.

Hope a firmware can fix this. Hope hope hope....

Jonathan Dubsky

PostSat Apr 12, 2014 12:47 pm

Sebem wrote:Clearly Grid/Fpn patern is the most important thing to do on the 4K.
- My first 4K camera got the parten in mid/low tone on 200/400/800 asa ->Return to blackmagic
- My 2nd one got the same but its quite few perceptible. I can work with it, but I'm thinking return it too.

Hope a firmware can fix this. Hope hope hope....

grid is an issue on their older camera too :p

Darko Djerich

PostSat Apr 12, 2014 12:51 pm

Thanks Kristian,fantastic news!
Artist
Creative Film Enterprises Pty Ltd
creativefilm.com.au
ARRI Alexa EV, ALEXA Plus, MBP M3Pro, iMac5k i7 48gb AERO 5 OLED rtx3070ti BMD eGPU phase one p40+, UM4.6 ef bmcc ef bmpcc, speed editor, Ultrastudio mini 4k dji Inspire RAW 4K

Eugene Carter

PostSat Apr 12, 2014 1:58 pm

I would think the only fair and logical thing to do would be to start at the beginning and work through fixes to issues and promises made regarding the BMCC. BMCC owners have been waiting forever for a fix for the audio issues, orange reds, and the sharper Prores debayer promised to us in a direct email from Grant.

After that, they could move on to more recent cameras, but BMCC owners have been waiting the longest and I feel that is where they should start.

Samjack

PostSat Apr 12, 2014 3:33 pm

Eugene C. wrote:I would think the only fair and logical thing to do would be to start at the beginning and work through fixes to issues and promises made regarding the BMCC. BMCC owners have been waiting forever for a fix for the audio issues, orange reds, and the sharper Prores debayer promised to us in a direct email from Grant.

After that, they could move on to more recent cameras, but BMCC owners have been waiting the longest and I feel that is where they should start.

According to Kristian the BMCC uses an older more technologically inferior architecture so you have to realise some features cannot be included as easily if not impossible due to limitation of the early chip. I certainly don't want other cameras such as the Pocket and the 4K feature updates to be held back by the BMCC limitation.

Eugene Carter

PostSat Apr 12, 2014 3:43 pm

Samjack wrote:According to Kristian the BMCC uses an older more technologically inferior architecture so you have to realise some features cannot be included as easily if not impossible due to limitation of the early chip. I certainly don't want other cameras such as the Pocket and the 4K feature updates to be held back by the BMCC limitation.

I understand this, and in fact, if what we were told is true, that work is almost done and the next update will accomplish the task of updating the BMCC's firmware architecture. What I'm saying is that I expect them to finally come through on the fixes for the BMCC before they start working specifically on the FPN issues of the 4k. From what I've read, this is a problem that requires a complicated fix and it may not even be possible for the 4k.

I think we can agree on one thing though, the URSA and any other future releases need to be put on the back burner until their current product line is working as advertised (and promised).

Theodore Prentice

PostSat Apr 12, 2014 7:42 pm

Samjack wrote:
Eugene C. wrote:I would think the only fair and logical thing to do would be to start at the beginning and work through fixes to issues and promises made regarding the BMCC. BMCC owners have been waiting forever for a fix for the audio issues, orange reds, and the sharper Prores debayer promised to us in a direct email from Grant.

According to Kristian the BMCC uses an older more technologically inferior architecture so you have to realise some features cannot be included as easily if not impossible due to limitation of the early chip. I certainly don't want other cameras such as the Pocket and the 4K feature updates to be held back by the BMCC limitation.

so, then they should let go of the foolish unified firmware, and do what they can for all of the camerars. period.

STARTING with the BMCC, because I sure as hell dont want BMCC features held back by the Pocket...4K... URSA.. Moonbeam, or whatever the hell they turn their attention to next.

thanks

brianberneker

PostSat Apr 12, 2014 9:16 pm

Kristian, thank you. Please continue to update us as frequently as possible.

I can't speak for other customers, but when I saw the news of the two new cameras at NAB, it felt like you had taken the best suggestions from your customers for the BMCC and BMPC and made new cameras instead of helping those of us who supported you early on with these flagship cameras, leaving us in silence to speculate among ourselves.

Frequent updates and timely releases will help to keep is satisfied and stay loyal without having to speculate. Of course we all want you to complete the firmware updates as soon as possible and keep up appraised of your progress. We are already committed customers, so the least you can do is offer a periodic update to quell our restlessness.

If there are any problems, i.e. sensor issues, etc., it will be better if you announce sooner than later. Customers can be forgiving if you are proactive and open, but can become angry if legitimate concerns are left unanswered or dodged. Once again, thank you for the breath of fresh air for those of us holding our breath for updates.

Michael Robertson

PostSat Apr 12, 2014 9:23 pm

Yes, I also want to say thanks for the update Kristian!

As an early adopter of the wonderful new technology made available by BMD and the BMCCamera, some of my apprehensions about the purchase were subsided by statements from Grant Petty and others within the company that future updates were on the way.

While my patience is diminishing like that of others, ongoing communication certainly helps!

Thanks,

Michael R
Atlanta, GA USA

Martin Myrick

PostSun Apr 13, 2014 4:22 am

Martin Myrick wrote:
Kristian, can you tell us if the Lumix 12-32mm will be supported in this update?

Kristian wrote:
I'm not sure. Are you referring to the O.I.S feature or does it outright not work?

I am referring to the O.I.S. (doesn't have exterior switch) plus electronic focus (no focus ring) and iris. The 12-32mm is not currently on the list of supported lenses, so I was wondering if it will have support in the future. I don't own one so I don't know how it functions presently on the pocket cam, but it would be nice if it is supported in the future. It would make a nice walk around pancake zoom with stabilization.

ChrisBarcellos

PostSun Apr 13, 2014 6:47 am

Andrew Reid wrote:Unknown to you guys a separate conversation about the firmware update was going on between me and Patrick at Blackmagic UK who was over in NAB. I had for the past week been asking them to put something out to explain the situation.

Then Patrick yesterday emailed me the update as if it was a personal reply one to one about my previous email and it fitted like a glove.

I had not seen the same text go up on the forum and it may indeed be that Patrick just cut and pasted it from here and sent it me.

Not my intention to claim credit for something I didn't actually have a part in. Or maybe I did. More to the point I don't care. The important thing is the firmware updates are coming. A few of you could do with calming down on the personal mud flinging, especially over at BMCC user which I no longer view as a result.

While it doesn't really matter as long as it gets done, I think the explosion of disbelief and anger at BMD's audacity right here on this forum is what prompted the opening of communications. But this is no time stop applying the pressure for what we rightfully have due us. Opening of communications is one thing, actually getting the goods is another.

Michael Weathersby

PostSun Apr 13, 2014 3:59 pm

Thank you for the update. Can a monthly update where the engineers provide specific details for you to share with us be possible? I know that can be a bit of a pain of the butt but it would really win people back over. There would be a lot less negative postings about BMD or the cameras on here if we had a set "1st Friday of every month" schedule for when we will see a post that will have details. That way come hell or come high water information will be made available.

I just do not want this major post to be the last thing we see for 3 months before the first update arrives. I'll keep buying your products as long as I don't feel I am about to be "blackmagic'ed"

Oh and you guys don't have to try to win/unveil new cameras at NAB every year. The computer world will take notice if you do your own thing online months later. I mean even Sony learned to slow down the Vegas releases just a touch. If you are going to keep winning NAB then please increase the staff accordingly.

Samjack

PostSun Apr 13, 2014 8:07 pm

Theodore Prentice wrote:
so, then they should let go of the foolish unified firmware, and do what they can for all of the camerars. period.

STARTING with the BMCC, because I sure as hell dont want BMCC features held back by the Pocket...4K... URSA.. Moonbeam, or whatever the hell they turn their attention to next.

thanks

The URSA is not released yet so no effort should be focus on that.
Actually from what Kristian said they wanted to bring firmware updates to all 3 existing cameras but because the BMCC architect is inferior they have difficulty implementing it so it is the BMCC that is holding back the Pocket and 4k.
I'm a computer engineer and if I had lots of jobs to do some easy and some difficult I prefer to fix the easy ones first and focus on the few difficult ones last rather than letting the backlog build up trying to fix the difficult ones which may or may not be possible to fix.

Soeren Mueller

PostSun Apr 13, 2014 9:29 pm

Samjack wrote:The URSA is not released yet so no effort should be focus on that.
Actually from what Kristian said they wanted to bring firmware updates to all 3 existing cameras but because the BMCC architect is inferior they have difficulty implementing it so it is the BMCC that is holding back the Pocket and 4k.
I'm a computer engineer and if I had lots of jobs to do some easy and some difficult I prefer to fix the easy ones first and focus on the few difficult ones last rather than letting the backlog build up trying to fix the difficult ones which may or may not be possible to fix.

Samjack, please don't start repeating this information as fact - the original posting on that topic from Kristian was written in a different way - from how I got it it sounded more like the _original firmware_ of the BMCC had a much different (simpler I guess, more "spaghetti code style" maybe ;o) architecture than that of the newer pocket and 4K that followed. This is quite different from saying the _hardware architecture_ of the original BMCC was much more simple or "inferior"!
I guess they "cleaned up" the code base a lot and made everything more modular, which they now wanted to bring back to all of the cameras so they can quickly bring fixes that are more "general" to all of them. Which makes a lot of sense when they share a lot of the _hardware base_ (which I guess is currently the case) - of course besides the main sensor and the recording media, but much of the main FPGA architecture could be the same.
Previous

Return to Cinematography