Afterglow

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

John Brawley

Re: Afterglow

PostThu Aug 23, 2012 11:57 pm

mario wrote:John - can you give some more colour on the sound. How does it compare to a 5dmkii (as a low benchmark) or a H2n (as a high benchmark)? Is there enough sensitivity to use an NTG-2 or do we need to use DSLR mic such as Rode VM Pro? Many Thanks!!

If you're only using the camera's mic, it's far from HiFi ! It's the same as a 5D really. Good enough for something like PluralEyes to work, but you can easily get handling noise and pick up the fan noise of the camera. The fan is actually very very quiet compared to say an EPIC, but because the chassis of the camera is a single piece, it's hard to isolate that sound.

If you use the mic/line input from another source then it's very good ! I'm a Cinematographer though and don't have any more knowledge about the audio side of things with regards to the Mic's you mention.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

kenth32

PostFri Aug 24, 2012 3:01 am

I am very excited about being able to download the RAW DNg files to work with them. However I cannot get the Davinci Resolve Lite to install on my computer. I am running a Windows 8 Consumer Preview and the installer won't run because it can't recognize the operating system.

Any suggestions on how to fix that?

Kent

John Brawley

PostFri Aug 24, 2012 3:01 am

kenth32 wrote:I am very excited about being able to download the RAW DNg files to work with them. However I cannot get the Davinci Resolve Lite to install on my computer. I am running a Windows 8 Consumer Preview and the installer won't run because it can't recognize the operating system.

Kent

You should ask in the Resolve forum here.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

mattbatt

PostFri Aug 24, 2012 3:32 am

Thanks John for the RAW files to share! This was my first time grading in Resolve, I used some nodes and pretty much had no clue what I was doing - on non-calibrated PC monitors too, :lol:

Here is my grade:

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Aug 24, 2012 4:02 am

jameswicks wrote:The clips play fine until you do a simple grade, then Resolve crashes every time.
I added a power window, and tried to do a track. Crash. Every time. Every clip.

I have the same problem with the tracker and DNGs, so i ended up just grading without tracking anything. I want to report some bugs i've found in 9b3 in the forums here, but haven't had time yet to detail it properly with reproducible steps, crash logs, etc.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Toby Angwin

PostFri Aug 24, 2012 4:08 am

There is a resolve forum on here peeps. Let's keep this to congratulation John and asking shoot and footage specific questions eh?
Toby Angwin - Director/Compositor

http://www.soupkitchenfilms.net
@soupkitchen on Twitter
http://vimeo.com/soupkitchen

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Aug 24, 2012 8:55 am

kenth32 wrote:I am very excited about being able to download the RAW DNg files to work with them. However I cannot get the Davinci Resolve Lite to install on my computer. I am running a Windows 8 Consumer Preview and the installer won't run because it can't recognize the operating system.

Kent

Did you install the 64-bit version? The 64-bit version of Windows 8 should work with the Resolve 9 installer.
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

Johannes

PostFri Aug 24, 2012 9:55 pm

Just now i forgot all the techno babble and wanted to point out that the girl in Afterglow is super beautiful. If anyone knows her (John B. you probably know her) then someone should tell her that thanks to her these few days for us geeks has been very exciting and a pleasure to grade those beautiful images :)

Jeggintonfilms

PostFri Aug 24, 2012 10:55 pm

Here is a clip of my grade I created in Lightroom http://vimeo.com/m/48157062
Filmmaker & Camera-operator
www.jontyegginton.com

John Brawley

PostSat Aug 25, 2012 10:34 pm

Johannes wrote:Just now i forgot all the techno babble and wanted to point out that the girl in Afterglow is super beautiful. If anyone knows her (John B. you probably know her) then someone should tell her that thanks to her these few days for us geeks has been very exciting and a pleasure to grade those beautiful images :)

Why don't you tell her yourself.

twitter.com/Casey_Burgess

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Dimitrios Papagiannis

PostSun Aug 26, 2012 3:07 am

Actually there isn't a dedicated Resolve forum on here. :shock: At least not one that I could find. I mentioned it to Grant. Hopefully he will include one. I think now any Resolve Posts are meant to be put under Post Production.

Johannes

PostSun Aug 26, 2012 8:51 am

Why don't you tell her yourself.

twitter.com/Casey_Burgess

jb[/quote]

Thank you sir, i'll do that

Felipe Arruda

This camera will sell like hell!

PostMon Aug 27, 2012 3:17 am

I've made 3 gradings pushing different things on 2 and being "me" on the 3rd.

Plus, made some stabilization and a slow motion test.

emmikiruba

PostMon Aug 27, 2012 1:01 pm

Hi jim

I loved the footage, I have done grading in my style using RAW sequences. the camera should be a real wonder I love to receive one soon

John Waldorff

PostMon Aug 27, 2012 6:28 pm

I love this. Thank you for this beautiful footage. I graded in Photoshop and am sold on your product.
I noticed that CS6 Speedgrade lacks support though. We should make Adobe aware of that.

thefcpxeditor

PostMon Aug 27, 2012 6:46 pm

Thank you Blackmagic and John Brawley for kindly making these RAW files available.

I understand to get the most latitude when grading this footage you need to use the Blackmagic Divinci Resolve Application, Photoshop, or something of that nature. In this test though I thought I would give the footage more of a challenge and did all grading in Final Cut Pro X.

Here's the video I created with the shots testing various color corrections:

Workflow:

1.) Opened Final Cut Pro X and created a New Event and Project for the test.
2.) Imported the DNG's into the test Event.
3.) Put all the DNG's into the timeline and set the duration for all of them to one frame.
4.) Selected all the DNG's for a particular shot and Command+G to make each shot a compound clip therefore separating each of the four shots out for editing as a video clip.
Steps one through four took about a minute to do.
5.) Corrected and colored the clips one step at a time as shown in the video. Including the use of Motionvfx.com's mLooks 2 Color Correction Plugins in combination with Final Cut Pro X's Color Board. I can't tell you how much I love the Color and Shape masking abilities that are right there within the program!
6.) Exported 1080P

Also notably, and amazingly, Final Cut Pro X played back the 2.5K footage un-rendered in the 1080P timeline no problem, even with all grades, color and shape masks, and titles applied. Put that on the list of things that make me smile as an editor. :D

In the end I was very impressed with how clean the footage was as I largely have had to work with DSLR footage. It's a big difference. It held up incredibly well to grading directly in the application. It was very resistent to the normal color noise and artifacting you see when grading DSLR footage. There is some noise in the final low light shot but it is mostly luminance, not color noise. That I can deal with.
Braden Storrs

The Final Cut pro X Editor

Charlie Anderson

PostMon Aug 27, 2012 9:50 pm

What is everyone using for color space? I see P3, 709 and then different gamma options.

Also, is there a way to enable "Film" mode on the DNGs? I'm curious about applying a film emulation LUT that I have to this footage but I need a Log-type image and not a 709 one. Anyone have any suggestions for shooting in a Log-style scenario?

Messed with P3 and gamma 2.4 settings for a few of these shots (all shots have a Film Emulation LUT applied to them). Just a quick first light on them, nothing special.

Love the range on this camera!

-----
Charlie Anderson
Local 600 | Director of Photography | Digital Imaging Technician
www.charlieandersondp.com
www.dorkinatent.com

Joe Gonzalez

PostTue Aug 28, 2012 1:44 am

Thanks John for the inspiration! This company knows what there doing and im glad to be apart of it. Reminds me how Apple revolutionized the industry with their iphone now BMC with their cine-cams! Heres our grade using Resolve from the footage you gave us.
heres a graded DNG Image
Joe Gonzalez - Filmmaker/Photographer/Editor
www.thenewcinematographers.com

Aharon Rothschild

PostTue Aug 28, 2012 9:08 am

The BMC footage keys and grades exceptionally well. Shooting RAW and following a RAW workflow through post isn't going to be for everyone, and it's great to have the choice between less time in post vs options in the grade.
This camera really levels the playing field in a significant way, I'm excited to see the Indie films that release in 2013.
Shot2.jpg
Shot2.jpg (237.18 KiB) Viewed 51193 times
Aharon Rothschild
DP/Colorist
http://www.possibleimpossible.com/

Barry Sanders

PostTue Aug 28, 2012 4:47 pm

Kholi Hicks

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 3:23 am

Aharon Rothschild wrote:The BMC footage keys and grades exceptionally well. Shooting RAW and following a RAW workflow through post isn't going to be for everyone, and it's great to have the choice between less time in post vs options in the grade.
This camera really levels the playing field in a significant way, I'm excited to see the Indie films that release in 2013.
Shot2.jpg

DAMN that's some great color work. Stylized reds, but good stuff, man.
Kholi Hicks

Alexnder Chertok

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 3:48 pm

The BMC footage keys and grades exceptionally well indeed!
Even HEAVY color-correction has no artifacts after the Hue Shift because there is no compression.
That proves how good this camera is VFX and post.

Plus DaVinci is a very intuitive software. Here is the quick DaVinci test.
Attachments
BMCC_HueChange_1.5.1.jpg
Hue Change
BMCC_HueChange_1.5.1.jpg (374.19 KiB) Viewed 51648 times

tomchoorapoika

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 6:41 pm

BMC Raw....nice to work, i would say it is in hand...
Attachments
BMC.jpg
A mimic grade from my side. in Davinci Resolve
BMC.jpg (764.74 KiB) Viewed 51627 times

Raymond110168

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 4:56 am

This looks incredibly nice!! omg, really want to get hands on it to try!! :DD

Theodore Prentice

PostWed Sep 05, 2012 8:54 pm

Original

Test Grade with Photoshop RAW

These are lowly scaled down jpegs.
I scaled the original DNGs up to 4k and the images were still very amazing.

More fiddling around in Resolve (bars added in PS)

blu.jpg
Resolve test grade
blu.jpg (576.51 KiB) Viewed 50667 times

Resolve is very powerful, the possibilities are endless with this software
Last edited by Theodore Prentice on Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mirko pod

PostSat Sep 08, 2012 11:12 pm

the files do look fantastic!

i would love to try grading those, but im just getting started with
davinci resolve and i have a slow machine, so is there any way to rescale
the original dngs to 1080 without loosing the benefits of raw?

i might be plain stupid, but i couldnt get it to work ...

Raphaël Thiollier

PostTue Sep 11, 2012 12:21 pm

Here are some more color corrections, just to enjoy the subtilities you can play around with, even on a rather difficult shoot...
Attachments
Frame001130_YC.jpg
WB: warmer, and contrast
Frame001130_YC.jpg (661.02 KiB) Viewed 51156 times
Frame001130_YB.jpg
warmer WB and bright
Frame001130_YB.jpg (581.4 KiB) Viewed 51156 times
Frame001130_BC.jpg
colder WB and contrast
Frame001130_BC.jpg (581.93 KiB) Viewed 51156 times
www.raphaelthiollier.com

Evelyne Theodose

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 9:07 am

Post moved to the Afterglow Grades topic.
Last edited by Evelyne Theodose on Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Waldorff

PostSun Sep 30, 2012 6:56 pm

Many beautiful grades!
The greenish one from Alexnder is IMHO most impressive.
I wish I could watch the whole scene with this grade and not only the screencap.

Cheers

John Tissavary

PostTue Oct 02, 2012 7:24 pm

Resolve 9.01, commercial style grade for balance & beauty (skin)

Look forward to working more with this camera!

02bmcc-postcollective.jpg
02bmcc-postcollective.jpg (68.76 KiB) Viewed 50755 times
John Tissavary
colorist
the post collective

John Waldorff

PostThu Oct 04, 2012 10:49 pm

@lunacie
She looks lovely that way.

John Tissavary

PostTue Oct 09, 2012 5:09 pm

Thanks John! Hopefully cameras will be shipping soon and I'll start seeing more material shot with it.
John Tissavary
colorist
the post collective

roncad

PostWed Oct 24, 2012 7:30 pm

Hi Brian@202020

The RAW bayered image size is 2432 x 1366 which gets debayered to 2400 x 1350. There is a slight crop to get rid of the edges of the image because when you are debayering, the very boundary of the frame will not have enough surrounding information to be accurately debayered and will need to be discarded. This is a pretty standard procedure for debayering images.

The DNG has a DefaultCropSize tag which is explained as:

Raw images often store extra pixels around the edges of the final image. These extra pixels help prevent interpolation artifacts near the edges of the final image.
DefaultCropSize specifies the size of the final image area, in raw image coordinates (i.e., before the DefaultScale has been applied).

EDIT: ..the files are indeed 2432x1366..

i got proactive and have written a small tool that can process a folder of BMCC dngs at full res. (2432x1366), and extract the raw greyscale cfa etc , and do some other stuff

Rude

PostWed Dec 04, 2013 6:06 pm

Question! I saw this spot on vimeo and looks fantastic. Congrats! Now, does the glass choice affects the image quality a little bit? What a mean is, I'm an indy short film and music videos director, so I'm planning to buy a BMcinema 2.5k but with MFT mount, so I have better choice for lenses and faster too. I know there are tons of factors about the image quality, specially lighting a scene but... does the EF mount influenced the image on this spot because of the lens choice (beside lighting) or I shouldn't be concern about the mount as there are lot's of choices out there for the MFT mount, even PL mount I can put cooke lenses...

AndréRodrigues

PostMon Jun 25, 2018 10:00 pm

John Brawley wrote:Afterglow

Hi John, I sent you a message on facebook messenger and here on PM. If you could, please answer me ok? Thank you.
Davinci Resolve Studio 17 - Windows 10 Updated - MOBO: Aorus Master X570 - PROC: Ryzen 9 3900x - GPU: RTX2070 8GB Super - RAM: 128GB 3200Mhz - STORAGE: 3 NVME 3500/3000mbps + HD's and SSD's

Uli Plank

PostTue Jun 26, 2018 3:01 am

@Rude
Yes, lens choices influence color and character of the image in a subtle way. Not like: Oh that's the lens you shot with! Well, only those in the know can tell sometimes, like with Cookes or some Zeiss due to peculiar bokeh. But color rendering is influenced a lot by glass and the coatings, flare too. Then there are factors like vignetting (not always a bad thing) or softer edges (again, not always bad).

With EF mount you have less of a choice due to the long distance of the mount, with MFT you can adapt nearly every piece of glass that was able to focus on a plane from the last 100 years (or so). Depends if you are intro that whole thing, makes a lot of sense if you want to make period pieces, for example.

Have a look at:
– vintagelensesforvideo.com (for a general overview)
(poor man's Zeiss, among others)
http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php ... ival-Guide (by Nick Morrison)
(for not so poor man's Zeiss)
http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php ... ival-Guide (by yours truly)
(for very poor man's Leica)

And feel free to discuss here.
Maybe AI can help you. Or make you obsolete.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU
Previous

Return to Cinematography