Edelkrone Rigs & Batteries

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

nickdale

Edelkrone Rigs & Batteries

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 4:54 pm

Hi all

I am just wondering if anyone here has used or owns an Edelkrone rig? I am thinking about buying one and am just after any feedback.

Also the only thing I can't seem to solve is power. The internal battery isn't an issue for me, but I need an external solution.

I am thinking about the V-Mount plate from Switronix, but can any V-Mount battery be used? Also does anyone know a good supplier of reasonably priced Batteries and chargers?

Thanks all :)

Zack Wilson

Re: Edelkrone Rigs & Batteries

PostSat Sep 15, 2012 4:01 am

I have the Modula 9+ system. It's well-made, everything is full machined metal construction. They have a lot of clever engineering features in it, giving it lots of flexibility. The rig is quite heavy though, especially when the counterweights are attached. The FocusPlus+ follow focus is really handy for when you don't have an operator, and has a whip attachment for when you do. Support is quite good too.

My biggest complaint with my particular system is that the handles seem to be a little far to the right, which makes it a tad bit off-balance. I wish they still sold the offset bridge, because that would distribute the weight a little better, move the handles to the left, and allow for a direct view of the back of the BMCC screen. Also it would be nice to have the handles that come with it be easily attachable to the rig without the follow focus (although you might be able to and I just haven't figured it out yet - there's no manual yet....)

It is modular, so you can remove bits and pieces to make it a more compact rig or for tripod shooting. If you go with the Modula 9+, I'd recommend adding the compact shoulder pad for light weight gigs.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with my purchase. It's much easier and faster to set up than most traditional rigs, it always gets questions and compliments from fellow shooters and clients. It's an alternative design to most of the choices out there that are a bit more standard like Shape, RedRock, Tilta, etc. It's modeled after the ergonomics of cameras like the old XL2, which always felt nice to me. Now they just have to add that damn offset bridge again and it's all good to go.

Mark Wilhelm

PostSat Sep 15, 2012 4:19 am

Zack covered the most important points. I just want to add that if you're used to a normal cam-on-shoulder setup (ENG), the kind of thing I was raised on, Edelkrone rigs will help you get that feeling back.

They're also awesomely over-engineered. :)

matthijsliethof

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 3:08 pm

nickdale wrote:I am thinking about the V-Mount plate from Switronix, but can any V-Mount battery be used? Also does anyone know a good supplier of reasonably priced Batteries and chargers?

Wondering about this aswell, can I just buy any brand V-mount and put any brand battery's on?

João Gomes

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 11:46 pm

Also wondering about the V-lock compatibility thing...
Cameraman/Editor

matthijsliethof

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 10:42 am

http://www.avprofshop.nl/video/accu-s-e ... 4-4ah.html

So I'm seeing there's Goldmounts (anton bauer) and V-mounts. V-mounts al have 4 pins on the bottom.

So basically I could get any V-mount battery like the one in the link above and use either

This
http://www.switronix.com/products?page= ... gory_id=50

Or This

http://www.switronix.com/products?page= ... gory_id=50

Or This

http://www.ebay.com/itm/V-Mount-Power-B ... 3f1dd4f707

Together.

Meaning for 300 Euro's I could have a v-mount on my rig together with a single bebop battery? (instead of just the switronix pb70 bmcc pack.

(just need a way of charging I guess?)

Eric Santiago

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 1:49 pm

How about the FocusPlus+ ?
Im actually very interested in that for solo use.

João Gomes

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 3:20 pm

About their follow focus. On most lenses you won't be able to pull your Mattebox all the way back to the lens because de gear box protudes too much. A little something they don't tell you about.
Cameraman/Editor

edelkrone

PostTue Dec 04, 2012 9:27 am

Hello Erik Santiago,

We would like to kindly inform you that the focus PLUS is fully compatible with all matte-boxes. For further information about our products, please do not hesitate to contact us at any time via info@edelkrone.com

Best Regards

edelkrone Team

João Gomes

PostTue Dec 04, 2012 12:11 pm

Yes, the focus Plus is but the Focus One isn´t.
Cameraman/Editor

AlexandreFachin

PostTue Dec 04, 2012 1:43 pm

João Gomes wrote:Yes, the focus Plus is but the Focus One isn´t.

The FOCUS ONE is not compatible with a standard mattebox.
This is disappointing, because the products seem to me very interesting. Unfortunately I bought the Focus ONE.
And YES, they don't tell you about. I think the Edelkrone should be more transparent about this issue.
Alexandre Fachin
Director + DoP + Photographer
Casa Na Arvore Filmes - Brazil
www.casanaarvore.com.br

João Gomes

PostTue Dec 04, 2012 2:24 pm

I had to buy lens hoods for my lenses to fill the gap between the matte box and the front of the lens...

Ps: Alexandre, moras num sítio lindo!
Cameraman/Editor

edelkrone

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 2:05 pm

Hello Jao,

As edelkrone, we accept the fact that the focus one Pro, when used simultaneously with some matte boxes, especially ones with larger frames may result in some incompatibilities for the use. We regret not being able to offer doughnut lens gears; however obtaining 3rd party doughnut gears for your lens will solve this incompatibility.

Additionally, the edelkrone follow focuses (focus one pro and focus plus) require lens gears (Please see http://www.edelkrone.com/e-store/28-ede ... 80255.html) which are 0.8 pitch, to function smoothly; otherwise you will not be able to operate with our follow focuses. The edelkrone lens gears are specially designed to work simultaneously with our follow focuses in order to adapt and run smoothly with any lens, regardless of its size and brand. Furthermore, the edelkrone lens gears are a one size fits all, and you will not need various types of specialized lens gears for each of the different lenses you own.

To sum it up, in relation to its reasonable price, whip/crank port, one of a kind focus marker and reverse gear option, we believe that we are offering the best solution to our customers.

Please do not hesitate to contact us at info@edelkrone.com any time for further information.

Best Regards
edelkrone Customer Support

João Gomes

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 5:56 pm

I don´t remember saying anything about lens gears, i said "lens hoods"... as in: the plastic (sometimes metal) round things that you screw on your lens to prevent flare...?

For what it´s worth, i also bought your lens gears when i bought the follow focus and i still had to buy third party lens gears.

My biggest problem isn´t that it doesn´t work and that i have to buy third party gear to make it work (and try to sell my Edelkrone lens gears to someone who uses 3x3 matteboxes... don´t know anyone...), my biggest problem is that you don´t inform people of your products incompatibilities. You should be absolutely TRANSPARENT in that regard.

Theres is simply no excuse. We are talking about standard matte boxes, not some obscure weird piece of gear.
Cameraman/Editor

Return to Cinematography