New capture and playout app by Medialooks

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Andrey Okunev

New capture and playout app by Medialooks

PostThu May 15, 2014 2:53 pm

Hi guys,

We have released our first free end-user app for capture & playout - Direct Take: http://blog.medialooks.com/8m1X56/.

This product was inspired by Media Express, but we have improved on two main areas:

1) We support unlimited number of devices on capture and playout.
2) The app plays out and captures to a large number of containers and compression formats.

It also includes optional CG with an integrated visual editor (beta).

I'll be happy to hear your feedback in this thread, as well as discuss new features that you guys may be looking for.

The product is Windows only for now.

Adam Simmons

Re: New capture and playout app by Medialooks

PostThu May 15, 2014 3:06 pm

Crashes on opening under Win 8.1 Pro
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

Boris_ML

PostThu May 15, 2014 3:19 pm

Adbear wrote:Crashes on opening under Win 8.1 Pro

What Blackmagic device and drivers version do you have?
Can you post a message screenshot here?

Andrey Okunev

PostThu May 15, 2014 3:30 pm

Thanks, Adbear. We've tested on Win 8.1.

What devices do you have connected and what is the drivers version?

Can you attach a screenshot of when it happens?

Adam Simmons

PostThu May 15, 2014 3:50 pm

At the moment I don't have any devices connected.

just added a USB 3 shuttle on 9.9.6 and still does the same thing
Attachments
crash.jpg
crash.jpg (53.57 KiB) Viewed 25919 times
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.

Andrey Okunev

PostThu May 15, 2014 4:45 pm

Thanks for this. Tomorrow we will upload a new version with some logs in it. It is unclear at this point.

dpictMEDIA

PostFri May 16, 2014 2:49 pm

Same error for me - windows 7 - Looks like a great solution for us - can't wait to get it running. thanks eric
Aric Mackey

Andrey Okunev

PostFri May 16, 2014 3:06 pm

Adbear, Eric - please try the updated version: http://www.medialooks.com/downloads/126/. We assumed the problem was we had no error processing for situations when a device could not be initialised. Please post about your results.

Eric, thanks for the good words!

Adam Simmons

PostFri May 16, 2014 3:21 pm

Still crashes doesn't matter if I have a device plugged in or not

Andrey Okunev

PostSat May 17, 2014 1:04 am

Thanks. Please stand by until we release that version with the logger.

Andrey Okunev

PostMon May 19, 2014 2:45 pm

We found the problem (thanks to Adbear). Please download the latest version:

http://www.medialooks.com/downloads/126/

MarthaO

PostWed May 21, 2014 12:44 am

Hello! I´ve already downloaded the last version (1.0.0.3211) of Medialooks Direct Take and I´ve been playing with it.

I have a couple of questions about it:
1. Will it work with my Intensity USB 3.0?
2. I´d love to use it for capturing analog media at nights....so far I like it! The only missing option will be one that´ll let me stop the capture after an specific time (If I have a 2 hour V8 and I leave it capturing unattended (at night) I would love to be able to "stop" the recording after 2.5 hours in order to safe disk space, get smaller files and save energy :)....could you include it in the app :)?
3. I have a hard time writting down the name and location of the file before capturing, the window of the app doesn´t let me shrink it...the only option is to hide my windows toolbar....and still gives me hard time.

Thank you!

Adam Simmons

PostWed May 21, 2014 3:06 pm

Been testing this today, and found a few issues. I thought I'd try capturing from a DV Camera, which works fine if I leave it on 'auto', which then means it capture into .mp4, but if I put it on 'DV' then it captures 1 or 2 frames then stops.

Is it possible to put all the capture screens on 1 tab so you don't have to tab between each device? It would be much easier to be able to see all the streams that are coming in at the same time.
Also would it be possible to put in an option to start all captures at once across multiple inputs and then stop them all at the same time? Grass Valley used to do a small program for doing this on DV that would allow 3 DV devices to be captured at once with the overlay for all 3 on the screen at the same time and the ability to capture all 3 at once just by clicking 1 button

Boris_ML

PostThu May 22, 2014 12:31 pm

Hello!

MarthaO wrote:1. Will it work with my Intensity USB 3.0?

It will if you have proper drivers installed. You can just try it with common Media Express. If it will work with it it will work with Direct Take.

MarthaO wrote:2. I´d love to use it for capturing analog media at nights....so far I like it! The only missing option will be one that´ll let me stop the capture after an specific time (If I have a 2 hour V8 and I leave it capturing unattended (at night) I would love to be able to "stop" the recording after 2.5 hours in order to safe disk space, get smaller files and save energy :)....could you include it in the app :)?

Thanks for the request - we will consider adding this logic into one of next versions.

MarthaO wrote:3. I have a hard time writting down the name and location of the file before capturing, the window of the app doesn´t let me shrink it...the only option is to hide my windows toolbar....and still gives me hard time.

What screen resolution do you have?

Boris_ML

PostThu May 22, 2014 12:34 pm

Adbear wrote:Been testing this today, and found a few issues. I thought I'd try capturing from a DV Camera, which works fine if I leave it on 'auto', which then means it capture into .mp4, but if I put it on 'DV' then it captures 1 or 2 frames then stops.

Can you please send a sreenshot of capture properties that you have used?

Adbear wrote:Is it possible to put all the capture screens on 1 tab so you don't have to tab between each device? It would be much easier to be able to see all the streams that are coming in at the same time.
Also would it be possible to put in an option to start all captures at once across multiple inputs and then stop them all at the same time? Grass Valley used to do a small program for doing this on DV that would allow 3 DV devices to be captured at once with the overlay for all 3 on the screen at the same time and the ability to capture all 3 at once just by clicking 1 button

Thanks for the requests. We will see what we can do in next releases.

Andrey Okunev

PostThu May 22, 2014 12:42 pm

Thank you, guys. Someone from the team will get back to you with comments about these suggestions.

Meanwhile, here's a quick video that shows the main features of the visual CG editor: http://blog.medialooks.com/tT4lT4/.

Adam Simmons

PostThu May 22, 2014 2:12 pm

I can't do anything until Tuesday now as I'm not back at the office until then

Goob_Scooper

PostTue May 27, 2014 2:06 pm

Hi

I am looking at your DirectTake software.

I am thinking abut purchasing a Black Magic Deck Link Quad to capture 4 SDi video streams simultaneously.

The issue I have though is that I need to also capture audio (from the same, non-embedded source) in each of the encoded video files (multiple cameras on the one subject but only one audio source which is independent from the audio).

Does your software allow this?

Thanks for your help

Alec MacLeod

PostTue May 27, 2014 5:27 pm

This app rocks!! I was disappointed to see I was limited to 4 codecs for capturing with the intensity shuttle usb3 using media express and then your app appeared with a plethora of choices! I will be watching your site with anticipation...thank you!
Alec MacLeod

MarthaO

PostWed May 28, 2014 1:05 pm

Hello
Thank you very much for your interest in my comments.
The change the screen resolution and now I can see the whole window of the application without problem, thanks!

Still, I´ve been using the application and have found some issues:

I´m working with a blackmagic Intensity Shuttle and I´m capturing video from a V-8 camera (analog video).

1-Generally I can´t get to see the preview of the video I´m capturing on the software, I can see the sound bars moving and after a couple of tests I found out that although I´m not "seeing" the video it is actually getting captured without problems........Still it would be nice to be able to watch the preview of the video while capturing.

2-Sometimes the application "freezes" when capturing a long video or after 2-3 hours of capture...I just leave the application running and when I want to stop the capture I´m just not able to press any option inside the application and I have to close it from the Control Panel.

I really appreciate your interest!
Best Regards

Boris_ML

PostFri May 30, 2014 9:48 am

Goob_Scooper wrote:Hi

I am looking at your DirectTake software.

I am thinking abut purchasing a Black Magic Deck Link Quad to capture 4 SDi video streams simultaneously.

The issue I have though is that I need to also capture audio (from the same, non-embedded source) in each of the encoded video files (multiple cameras on the one subject but only one audio source which is independent from the audio).

Does your software allow this?

Thanks for your help

Sorry, right now you can use only Blackmagic audio source with Blackmagic device.
We will consider adding it in one of next releases.

Boris_ML

PostFri May 30, 2014 9:53 am

howard wrote:This app rocks!! I was disappointed to see I was limited to 4 codecs for capturing with the intensity shuttle usb3 using media express and then your app appeared with a plethora of choices! I will be watching your site with anticipation...thank you!

Thanks!

Boris_ML

PostFri May 30, 2014 10:55 am

MarthaO wrote:1-Generally I can´t get to see the preview of the video I´m capturing on the software, I can see the sound bars moving and after a couple of tests I found out that although I´m not "seeing" the video it is actually getting captured without problems........Still it would be nice to be able to watch the preview of the video while capturing.

Can you please check that your Internet Explorer is in online mode?

MarthaO wrote:2-Sometimes the application "freezes" when capturing a long video or after 2-3 hours of capture...I just leave the application running and when I want to stop the capture I´m just not able to press any option inside the application and I have to close it from the Control Panel.

Can you please send me the capturing properties you use when the freeze appear?

MarthaO

PostFri May 30, 2014 3:02 pm

Hello and again thanks

Could you please tell me where can I check if the internet explorer is in online mode? I don´t if it is important but the computer where I´m working is offline.....

The configuration I´m working is as follows

Configuration Output:
Format: MPEG Program Stream
Codec: MPEG-2 Video
Audio Codec: MP2

Thanks!

MarthaO

PostTue Jun 03, 2014 1:34 pm

Hello Again

I have a new question. I´ve been using the software since last week for capturing v-8 media as the Media Express software doesn´t give me the output configuration I want.....

As I opened the software today and tried to capture a new cassette I got this message and haven´t been able to keep on using the program:

"Sorry, but your license has expired! You need to obtain a new license.
To do this, go to http:\\www.medialooks.com!"

As I understood from the Forum, Direct Take was a tool with no cost.....and could be downloaded and used freely.

I went to the page of medialooks and I don´t seem to find any information about Direct Take.....could you please give me information about this message and also clarify me if the software is a free tool or if I need to buy it in order to use it?

Thanks,

Alec MacLeod

PostThu Jun 05, 2014 2:20 pm

howard wrote:This app rocks!! I was disappointed to see I was limited to 4 codecs for capturing with the intensity shuttle usb3 using media express and then your app appeared with a plethora of choices! I will be watching your site with anticipation...thank you!

After initial success with BM Shuttle Intensity USB3 on Win 7 and Win 8.1 capturing component using your capture app I now receive "device already in use" when I attempt to use it. Any thing come to mind?
Alec MacLeod

Boris_ML

PostFri Jun 06, 2014 8:41 am

MarthaO wrote:Could you please tell me where can I check if the internet explorer is in online mode? I don´t if it is important but the computer where I´m working is offline.....

Open the IE, press "Alt" button to see the menus, open "File" menu and look for the item "Work offline" (at the bottom of the menu). Disable it if enabled.

Boris_ML

PostSat Jun 07, 2014 9:12 am

MarthaO wrote:Hello Again

I have a new question. I´ve been using the software since last week for capturing v-8 media as the Media Express software doesn´t give me the output configuration I want.....

As I opened the software today and tried to capture a new cassette I got this message and haven´t been able to keep on using the program:

"Sorry, but your license has expired! You need to obtain a new license.
To do this, go to http:\\www.medialooks.com!"

As I understood from the Forum, Direct Take was a tool with no cost.....and could be downloaded and used freely.

I went to the page of medialooks and I don´t seem to find any information about Direct Take.....could you please give me information about this message and also clarify me if the software is a free tool or if I need to buy it in order to use it?

Thanks,

Hello,

Sorry for that - the app is free and the license message did not supposed to appear.
We will fix it on next week and put a new release.

Best regards,
Boris

Alec MacLeod

PostMon Jun 09, 2014 11:13 pm

howard wrote:

After initial success with BM Shuttle Intensity USB3 on Win 7 and Win 8.1 capturing component using your capture app I now receive "device already in use" when I attempt to use it. Any thing come to mind?

So...no possibilitys come to mind for a solution?
Alec MacLeod

Alec MacLeod

PostSat Jun 14, 2014 12:43 pm

howard wrote:
howard wrote:

So...no possibilitys come to mind for a solution?

Well, it is a free app so I guess I got my money's worth.
Alec MacLeod

Boris_ML

PostMon Jun 16, 2014 11:39 am

howard wrote:After initial success with BM Shuttle Intensity USB3 on Win 7 and Win 8.1 capturing component using your capture app I now receive "device already in use" when I attempt to use it. Any thing come to mind?

Can you please provide some more information:
- Do you receive it with the same device?
- Can you initialize this device with original Media Express?

Boris_ML

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 3:58 pm

Guys, check out the new version of Direct Take!
http://www.medialooks.com/downloads/126

The licensing problem should be solved there.

We have also added:
- a nice Multiview window (check the button next to "About" on window header) that allows to monitor all tabs at once;
- slow and fast playback modes for Playout;
- schedulling for file capture that allows to start and stop capture ant specific time.

I hope you will enjoy it.

Adam Simmons

PostTue Jun 24, 2014 4:23 pm

I'm finding that the multiview causes it to crash

Brett Crossley

PostMon Jun 30, 2014 4:06 am

Hi guys, I love the app; my requirement is to capture in ProRes MOV in Windows, and Direct Take does this beautifully.

I do have a feature request - deck control (via Sony 9-pin interface). I know that Direct Take is written to record video from live sources, but I'm trying to batch capture from a Sony J3 Betacam player. Could this be considered?

One more thing - re the text which says 'Direct Take.. ships with source codes compilable with either a trial or full version of MPlatform SDK' - I don't see any source code; is this a separate download?

Here is some background info: I have a Decklink 4K Extreme card running in an Intel based PC (Gigabyte GA-B85M-HD3 mobo, 16GB RAM, i5 processor, 4TB SATA drive). I have installed Desktop Video v10.11. I am only interested in capturing composite PAL at this time, so I have set the Blackmagic control panel for composite video / analog audio I/O, and default system is PAL.

radikal

PostMon Jun 30, 2014 10:45 pm

Selecting multiview causes crash.
I can see myself using this app as a multi-stream recorder for ProRes.

Two things I would like to see:
a) single/simultaneous REC button for all streams
b) visibility of DirectShow codecs (in either/both AVI /QT). For example I currently use vMix to record in Cineform on the same system for multi-stream. It only does .avi though.

Adam Simmons

PostMon Jun 30, 2014 10:47 pm

I asked for the simultaneous button as well as I have clients who would love this option. I also have the crashing issue as well

Boris_ML

PostTue Jul 01, 2014 9:57 am

Guys, can you please send me a sequences of actions that you perform to get the crash?
And I also need a screenshot of a message you get. Or it is a common Windows "The application has stopped..." message?

Adam Simmons

PostTue Jul 01, 2014 10:11 am

Open up the software and click the button and it crashes with the standard Windows message

Alec MacLeod

PostTue Jul 01, 2014 1:39 pm

Boris_ML wrote:Guys, can you please send me a sequences of actions that you perform to get the crash?
And I also need a screenshot of a message you get. Or it is a common Windows "The application has stopped..." message?

The application has stopped responding, please wait while windows searches for a solution.
Alec MacLeod

jojo0821

PostFri Jul 04, 2014 5:34 am

Please add RS422 remote control.

This is a very important feature.

Kalink

PostFri Jul 04, 2014 7:46 pm

Hello,
firstly its perfect software for recording and playout...but, how i can do "such as write a single stream to 2 or more file formats (create files of different size using different compression settings)"

I have one decklink SDI and cant figure out how to record stream from it to 2 files.

Thanks!
Lukas

Alex_Bash

PostWed Jul 16, 2014 9:29 am

jojo0821 wrote:Please add RS422 remote control.

This is a very important feature.

In the nearest time this feature will not be implemented in DirectTake application. Thank you for your interest.

Alex_Bash

PostWed Jul 16, 2014 9:38 am

Kalink wrote:Hello,
firstly its perfect software for recording and playout...but, how i can do "such as write a single stream to 2 or more file formats (create files of different size using different compression settings)"

I have one decklink SDI and cant figure out how to record stream from it to 2 files.

Thanks!
Lukas

Thank you for this request. We'll discuss it and put it into our request list. It is possible to add such functionality.

Lance Lewis

PostSun Jul 20, 2014 4:45 pm

I am excited to see how this app works in my workflow. When I installed it today, there was no playback tab. I am mostly interested in using it as a playback device, not as a capture device. Hoping that I can set it up to playback to a second monitor??? Thoughts on why I don't see a playback tab?
-Lance Lewis
Champion Video
www.ChampionVideoOnline.com
Neenah, WI

Brett Crossley

PostMon Jul 21, 2014 5:41 am

Hi folks, as requested earlier, I would like to see support for Deck control (Sony 9-pin). As others have said, this is a very important feature.

Can you please advise if this is under consideration? Thanks and regards - Brett C.

Alex_Bash

PostMon Jul 21, 2014 1:45 pm

DigitalMediaProductions wrote:Hi folks, as requested earlier, I would like to see support for Deck control (Sony 9-pin). As others have said, this is a very important feature.

Can you please advise if this is under consideration? Thanks and regards - Brett C.

Thank you for this request. We'll put it into our backlog and possible will implement it in the future.

Matt McNeil

PostThu Jul 24, 2014 2:59 am

Hi,
at a glance, this app looks great, especially with the use of multiple devices. I would love to see the app allow the capture of multiple devices simultaneously. Like a picture in picture option. I am looking for some software that allows me to capture content (powerpoint) whilst also capturing a camera image and audio.

I have tried to attach an image of the type of look I am after, but it wouldn't allow me.

Is this something that you might consider adding?

Thanks,
Matt
Matt McNeil
Prime Audiovisual QLD

Alec MacLeod

PostThu Jul 24, 2014 8:22 pm

Making any headway with the multiview button crash issue?
Alec MacLeod

Alex_Bash

PostFri Jul 25, 2014 11:16 am

Lance Lewis wrote:I am excited to see how this app works in my workflow. When I installed it today, there was no playback tab. I am mostly interested in using it as a playback device, not as a capture device. Hoping that I can set it up to playback to a second monitor??? Thoughts on why I don't see a playback tab?

You don't see playback tab because your input device can't be used as output device. For example, for any web-camera there is no Playback tab.
When you switch to Playback tab the application switches your device into output mode. And if there is no such possibility the Playback tab is not displayed at all.

What device do you use?

Alec MacLeod wrote:Making any headway with the multiview button crash issue?

Please describe me more detailed how to reproduce this crash?

Adam Simmons

PostFri Jul 25, 2014 1:44 pm

We've already explained how to get the crash in the past. You just click the button and it crashes
Next

Return to Getting Started