Arri (B) Bayonet Mount On BMPCC?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Shane McGee

Arri (B) Bayonet Mount On BMPCC?

PostThu Jun 05, 2014 9:58 pm

Im not real familiar with these Arri Bayonet mount lenses and was wondering if Metabones or someone makes an adapter?

I googled but am getting kind of confused and unsure by different naming conventions which probably mean the same thing, but I just don't know...like B-Mount or Arriflex or Bayonet or Arri Bayonet...are all these lenses Super 16 format? All the same thing with different names?

I have someone who apparently has a bunch of old super 16 lenses in "Arri Bayonet" mount, which i took to be synonymous with B-Mount, which I've heard of people using on black magic cameras before...

I might be able to use them, so I was just wondering if anyone had any general info or experience using these older cine lenses on a BMPCC?

John Brawley

Re: Arri (B) Bayonet Mount On BMPCC?

PostFri Jun 06, 2014 2:15 am

Arri Bayonet, AB or Arri B mount are all the same mount.

There are some variations within AB, but more or less they are the same (generally speaking)

You should be able to adapt it to the pocket but the trick will be finding an adaptor.

More likely would be to fit the AB lens with a PL adaptor (common) and then get a PL-->MFT adaptor.

Many AB-->PL adapters were designed to be more or less permanent so you'd get one for each lens so an adaptor on an adaptor shouldn't be such a big deal as long as they are both quality.

If the lens is heavier (like a zoom) then make sure you get the right lens support and ensure your PL adaptor is top shelf as well.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

HPG

PostFri Jun 06, 2014 2:20 am

This is the adapter you need to attach Arri 'B' mount lenses to your BMPCC:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schneider-Zeiss ... 1176724708

Rauno Linnamäe

PostFri Jun 06, 2014 3:57 am

ciecio7 also makes a straight Arri B to M4/3 adapter http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schneider-Zeiss-Cooke-Arri-B-to-Blackmagic-GH3-AF100-E-M5-MFT-micro-4-3-adapter-/251176724708 but I would rather agree with John that the best way of using these lenses is by a PL mount conversion and a good PL to M4/3 adapter.

Since Arri B was used both for 16mm and 35mm cameras beware that not all 16mm lenses cover the S16 sensor of the BMPCC.
Special Effects Supervisor / Key Grip / Managing Partner at Nordic Vision
http://www.nordic-vision.eu

Shane McGee

PostFri Jun 06, 2014 6:43 am

Thanks for the info guys. I'm going down to LA from SF tomorrow so ill check them out then...

I saw this for Metabones... http://metabones.com/products/details/MB_Arri-m43-MB1

This work?

Looks better than the ebay one i think...

Is the PL mount a "better" mount or is it just more widely available as far as adapters go?

Rauno Linnamäe

PostFri Jun 06, 2014 7:37 am

PL is de facto standard for all modern cine glass. By getting a good PL to MFT adapter for your BMPCC you'll be future-proof as you can also tap into the vast selection of professional cine glass available at rental houses.

PL mount provides a solid, no-wiggle contact between the lens and camera. In addition, you can mount the lens in any orientation in 90 degree intervals, making sure the witness marks on the lens can be positioned for easy visibility.

When it comes to machining tolerances and physical build quality, I think cieclo7 has better reputation in this respect than Metabones but since they are located in Europe the choice is, of course, up to you. Cieclo7 also makes other mount adapters, including a nice shimmable PL to M4/3. Here's their website: http://en.foto-akcesoria.com.pl/

Shane McGee

PostFri Jun 06, 2014 9:26 am

Rauno Linnamäe wrote:PL is de facto standard for all modern cine glass. By getting a good PL to MFT adapter for your BMPCC you'll be future-proof as you can also tap into the vast selection of professional cine glass available at rental houses.

PL mount provides a solid, no-wiggle contact between the lens and camera. In addition, you can mount the lens in any orientation in 90 degree intervals, making sure the witness marks on the lens can be positioned for easy visibility.

When it comes to machining tolerances and physical build quality, I think cieclo7 has better reputation in this respect than Metabones but since they are located in Europe the choice is, of course, up to you. Cieclo7 also makes other mount adapters, including a nice shimmable PL to M4/3. Here's their website: http://en.foto-akcesoria.com.pl/

Cool, good info. Thanks.

Rauno Linnamäe

PostFri Jun 06, 2014 11:24 am

No problem, it's always nice to see vintage glass getting used. :)

Johan Cramer

PostSat Jan 20, 2018 2:11 pm

To revive this old thread: Just saw a set of Zeiss Distagon S16 lenses with Arri Bayonet mount, and it seems to me as if their rear mounts (which recess into the camera body) could be too wide for adaption to the BMPCC. But I didn't have an adapter to run an actual test.

Does anyone have experience with adapted Zeiss S16 Arri-B lenses on the BMPCC?

Denny Smith

PostSat Jan 20, 2018 7:12 pm

Yes, I have had several Zeiss Arri S16 lenses converted to PL mount (you can get a direct Arri B to PL adapter which sets in the lens with a lock screw), used with both the Pocket and Micro Cameras using the Wooden Camera BMPCC/PL adapter. This PL adapter bolts to the WC Pocket or Micro cage for a very solid mount. Otherwise the adapter needs to be secured to a rail setup to properly support the heavy S16 Zeiss lenses.

The Zeiss lenses are excellent, designed for the S16 format, and are very fast at T1.3, hence their name as Super Speeds. The Arri B and PL mount FFD is much longer than the MFT FFD, and the rear of the lens barrel sits in the adapter, with the rear element sitting in it proper spot just inside the MFT mount area of the camera. Getting a complete match set is the challenge with these older lenses, but their IQ is excellent, and gives a nice Cinematic look.

Another option is the Veydra Mini Primes, designed after the newer Zeiss Ultra Speed lenses, about the same size as a S16 Super Speed, but a little slower at T/2.2 and somewhat lighter as a result. They come in a MFT mount, and You get a similar IQ. Additionally, full sets are easy to build from 12mm to 85mm. The longer focal lengths from 19mm to 85mm can be adapted to other cameras like the Sony E and FZ mounts with their user interchangeable lens mount system. The longer focal length Speeds Speeds from 25mm on, will also cover a larger sensor like the BM 4K sensor (Academy Std. 35mm format)
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Howard Roll

PostSun Jan 21, 2018 12:51 am

Johan Cramer wrote:To revive this old thread: Just saw a set of Zeiss Distagon S16 lenses with Arri Bayonet mount, and it seems to me as if their rear mounts (which recess into the camera body) could be too wide for adaption to the BMPCC. But I didn't have an adapter to run an actual test.

Does anyone have experience with adapted Zeiss S16 Arri-B lenses on the BMPCC?

As Denny stated both the Mk I and Mk II bayonet mounts should have no issues with the Pocket.

Some key distinctions between the Mk I and Mk II are;

MK I
hexagonal 6 blade iris
no focus gear
mismatched fronts
can be adapted to PL

MK II
triangular 9 blade iris (booooooo)
focus gear
80mm fronts
can be converted to PL

Cinematechnic probably has the most comprehensive description of the differences.

http://cinematechnic.com/optics/cinemat ... mes_part-1

Return to Cinematography