Best way to color Correct skin tone

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

sonu singh

Best way to color Correct skin tone

PostMon Aug 27, 2012 7:03 pm

Hi

I new color correction i am not able to achieve correct skin tone in most of the time
Is their any method or any proper way which i have to follow to get right flesh tone in any situation by using scopes ?
Sonu Singh
Totka Post
12 core mac pro 24 gb ram redrocket cinetal B420 Davinci 9 Smoke 2012 blackmagic hd extreme 3

playbacksteve

Re: Best way to color Correct skin tone

PostTue Aug 28, 2012 2:08 am

I have always held to the belief that you should train your eye and visual system along with your "color vocabulary" to work in the following way.

When you look at an image you should be able to decide "what do I want to do with this image?" and know the toolset in front of you and reach for the correct adjustment.......one at a time. Colorists do not paint by scopes or levels. They paint by eye first and use scopes only as a guide for technical or consistent painting.

This may not be the answer you are looking for but flesh-tones can and do vary greatly depending on a wide range of photographic conditions. Firelight from a night campfire or high noon on the beach.

A colorist will paint by eye first to achieve the desired results and then may refer to a scope if at all.

Steve

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Aug 28, 2012 2:31 am

I would practice by trying to copy references you like to develop your eye. Actually i did, but that was when i was learning (and then doing) 'high end retouching' for beauty photography.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Eric Mc Guire

PostTue Aug 28, 2012 5:23 am

There is a skin tone line on some vectorscopes.
http://www.larryjordan.biz/wp-content/u ... lor-07.jpg

If your are new or you do not have a good monitor, you should check this method of reference. The skin line is a very good reference (in normal lighting).

I started to use the vectorscope lately and now I use it a lot to find good tones, and to white balance thigs too.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Aug 28, 2012 6:11 am

As Steve said above, i would use the vectorscope etc as a 'check', but not rely on it. I've seen skin tones range from great to unacceptable (to me) but they still looked 'okay' on the vectorscope.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

sonu singh

PostTue Aug 28, 2012 8:40 am

thanks everyone so we have to tune our eyes first

in digital cinema (specially with 5d or 7d ) where you have limited information to work on in it
very hard to pull out the details (specially with me )
Sonu Singh
Totka Post
12 core mac pro 24 gb ram redrocket cinetal B420 Davinci 9 Smoke 2012 blackmagic hd extreme 3

Nick Bedford

PostTue Aug 28, 2012 12:59 pm

playbacksteve wrote:A colorist will paint by eye first to achieve the desired results and then may refer to a scope if at all.

Steve

True, at least in my experience. I know generally what I want to get out of a shot's colour, and what settings will do what to get, but in the end, I'm tinkering with those settings to achieve a result that appeals to me visually not dialling in anything very specific. I'm waiting for the settings I'm changing to hit something I like.

I rarely look at scopes to do more than just make sure I'm not crushing or blowing anything out and I generally don't correct skin tones directly (via a colour mask) too. If you have an image that is lit consistently, you should only need to colour correct skin tones directly for an effect. The whole frame should ideally be able to be coloured as a whole and perhaps some dodging or burning to emphasise parts of a shot (a subject, or some area in the scene).

That's my experience anyway.
Nick Bedford, Photographer
http://www.nickbedford.com/

Return to Post Production