Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 Now does ProRes

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

Brian@202020

  • Posts: 119
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:33 pm

Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 Now does ProRes

PostFri Nov 02, 2012 3:00 pm

Since the Blackmagic Cinema Camera is based off the Hyperdeck Shuttle 2, can we expect ProRes in a future Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 firmware update?

EDIT: ProRes has just been added, thank you!
Last edited by Brian@202020 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Offline

tomtom552

  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:32 am

Re: Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 question for BMD

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 11:48 am

I would be also verry interessted in such an update
Offline
User avatar

Luke Armstrong

  • Posts: 273
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:43 am
  • Location: London

Re: Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 question for BMD

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 12:10 pm

Brian@202020 wrote:Since the Blackmagic Cinema Camera is based off the Hyperdeck Shuttle 2, can we expect ProRes in a future firmware update?


You mean ProRes for the Hyperdeck? Because the BMCC already has ProRes with the latest firmware.
Luke Armstrong - Digital Compositor
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4274789/
Offline

Brian@202020

  • Posts: 119
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:33 pm

Re: Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 question for BMD

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 5:58 pm

Yes Luke. I edited the post so it was more clear.
Offline

Brian@202020

  • Posts: 119
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:33 pm

Re: Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 Now does ProRes

PostWed Nov 14, 2012 4:29 pm

I knew it would eventually happen. Thanks BMD for adding ProRes to firmware 3.6. I believe the Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 is now the cheapest ProRes external recorder on the market. Get the word out and you'll have a ton of new sales. This will tide me over until my BMCC MFT arrives. Thanks again!
Offline

Cuboirs

  • Posts: 107
  • Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:00 pm

Re: Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 Now does ProRes

PostWed Nov 14, 2012 9:00 pm

Is the hyper deck shuttle 2 available yet?????
Offline

Brian@202020

  • Posts: 119
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:33 pm

Re: Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 Now does ProRes

PostWed Nov 14, 2012 9:09 pm

It's been available for almost a year. I have one currently. I've been recording DNxHD since February 2012. Now that is does ProRes I'll be doing more of that.
Offline
User avatar

Adam Jeal

  • Posts: 55
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:11 pm
  • Location: South-West Scotland

Re: Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 Now does ProRes

PostWed Nov 14, 2012 9:12 pm

Question for BMD - Can you trigger start/stop recording of the Shuttle from the camera? - This will be essential for using both together.

Adam
Adam Jeal
Acoustic Space Productions Ltd
www.acoustic-space.com
www.static-film.com
www.twitter.com/adamjeal
Offline

Kholi Hicks

  • Posts: 732
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:23 pm

Re: Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 Now does ProRes

PostWed Nov 14, 2012 9:14 pm

You cannot. I've got the camera here and a Hyperdeck 2 with the update.

Start/Stop doesn't work
Timecode run doesn't work.

The signal comes out and you definitely get an image, but no, not triggering.

I think until the actual TImecode is sorted out (likely need full implementation of timecode, as of right now the timecode resets for each clip/shot--unless I'm missing something) then you have to do an audio workaround to be able to do a RAW + Hyperdeck 2 ProRes workflow.

I'm testing the audio workaround right now.
Kholi Hicks
Offline

Cuboirs

  • Posts: 107
  • Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:00 pm

Re: Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 Now does ProRes

PostWed Nov 14, 2012 10:40 pm

Brian@202020 wrote:It's been available for almost a year. I have one currently. I've been recording DNxHD since February 2012. Now that is does ProRes I'll be doing more of that.


You have the hyper deck 2 or the first version???
Offline

Cuboirs

  • Posts: 107
  • Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:00 pm

Re: Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 Now does ProRes

PostWed Nov 14, 2012 10:46 pm

Also how does the hyperdeck shuttle 2 help when using w BMCC? Don't they both record the same ?
Offline

Andrew Deme

  • Posts: 501
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 Now does ProRes

PostWed Nov 14, 2012 10:49 pm

Cuboirs wrote:Also how does the hyperdeck shuttle 2 help when using w BMCC? Don't they both record the same ?


Might seem daft but for some of what I do I am planning to record RAW to the camera and ProRes to the HypderDeck....this way I have a backup when I need it and also can get a sense over time of when I really need RAW and when I don't.

Have a habit of collecting SSD's and Disk Space for other stuff I do so this isn't really too big a concern.

Also am ruthless when it comes to footage and will happily dump anything that doesn't make it into the final grade....in other words, once it's done it's done....a bit like a painting, I ain't ever going back to the gallery and giving it a touch up.
Offline

Kholi Hicks

  • Posts: 732
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:23 pm

Re: Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 Now does ProRes

PostWed Nov 14, 2012 10:51 pm

RAW and ProRes at the same time.

Cut the PRoRes immediately, go back to RAW for color/finishing.

Or, redundancy: backup copy of everything you shoot. Instant archival if you can afford the SSDs (store the Shuttledeck version).

Many many uses that would not seem obvious at first. =]
Kholi Hicks
Offline

Brian@202020

  • Posts: 119
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:33 pm

Re: Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 Now does ProRes

PostWed Nov 14, 2012 11:40 pm

Cuboirs wrote:
Brian@202020 wrote:It's been available for almost a year. I have one currently. I've been recording DNxHD since February 2012. Now that is does ProRes I'll be doing more of that.


You have the hyper deck 2 or the first version???


Version 2.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/841023-REG/Blackmagic_Design_HYPERD_PT2_HyperDeck_Shuttle_2_SSD.html

Version 1 only does uncompressed and has been discontinued (at least at B&H).
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/766053-REG/Blackmagic_Design_HYPERD_PT_HyperDeck_Shuttle_Video_Recorder.html
Offline

Eric Santiago

  • Posts: 520
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:41 am

Re: Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 Now does ProRes

PostSat Nov 24, 2012 5:33 am

Kholi wrote:RAW and ProRes at the same time.

Cut the PRoRes immediately, go back to RAW for color/finishing.

Or, redundancy: backup copy of everything you shoot. Instant archival if you can afford the SSDs (store the Shuttledeck version).

Many many uses that would not seem obvious at first. =]


sorry for the late response, Kholi the RAW and ProRes are synced?
Ive been wondering how the HyperDeck deals with both BMCC and other cameras such as Scarlet.
Do they record timecode on the file?
I can understand of the HD and Scarlet dont talk to each other but how does it talk to the BMCC?

thanks!
Offline
User avatar

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

  • Posts: 2313
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:53 am
  • Location: Portland, Oregon USA

Re: Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 Now does ProRes

PostSat Nov 24, 2012 6:21 am

Eric Santiago wrote:
Kholi wrote:RAW and ProRes at the same time.

Cut the PRoRes immediately, go back to RAW for color/finishing.

Or, redundancy: backup copy of everything you shoot. Instant archival if you can afford the SSDs (store the Shuttledeck version).

Many many uses that would not seem obvious at first. =]


sorry for the late response, Kholi the RAW and ProRes are synced?
Ive been wondering how the HyperDeck deals with both BMCC and other cameras such as Scarlet.
Do they record timecode on the file?
I can understand of the HD and Scarlet dont talk to each other but how does it talk to the BMCC?

thanks!


As noted earlier in this thread, the Hyperdeck Shuttle isn't currently triggered by a BMCC, and the BMCC doesn't output TC. To sync a BMCC & HdS, do an old-fashioned clap/slate.

It's a feature of the HdS to be able to start/stop recording when (for example) a source camera's TC starts/stops, so if a Scarlet outputs TC than it "should" work.

I don't know if a firmware update might someday add this capability to the BMCC.
http://www.peterdv.com

Return to Cinematography

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Feedfetcher, John Griffin and 34 guests