Blackmagic, please take a leaf out of Red's book

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Matt

Blackmagic, please take a leaf out of Red's book

PostFri Nov 16, 2012 5:25 am

Hi,
I emailed BM 2 weeks ago regarding my unhapiness about my retailer not refunding my deposit when I wanted to cancel my order due to delay after delay.

While the retailer sorted it out, I have still yet to hear from BM, and I consider this very poor form.

I have since ordered a camera from Red, and have received almost daily emails from my designated "Bomb Squad" rep. It has now shipped. Their customer service is second-to-none.

You've created a GREAT product with the BMCC. Amazing is the only word to describe it.

I just wish your customer service was of the same standard.

Matt.

rick.lang

Re: Blackmagic, please take a leaf out of Red's book

PostFri Nov 16, 2012 5:37 am

Matt wrote:Hi,
I emailed BM 2 weeks ago regarding my unhapiness about my retailer not refunding my deposit when I wanted to cancel my order due to delay after delay.

While the retailer sorted it out, I have still yet to hear from BM, and I consider this very poor form.

I have since ordered a camera from Red, and have received almost daily emails from my designated "Bomb Squad" rep. It has now shipped. Their customer service is second-to-none.

Matt.

It may be that BMD had some role in helping your dealer sort it out... And they would do that discreetly since your contract is with the retailer, not BMD. If you ordered a camera from Red, your relationship is different as your contract is with Red. Great they very helpful, but you may not have been ignored by BMD.
Rick Lang

Jeggintonfilms

PostFri Nov 16, 2012 8:11 am

either way, a reply out of courtesy wouldn't have hurt if that's the case.
Filmmaker & Camera-operator
www.jontyegginton.com

Andrew Deme

PostFri Nov 16, 2012 8:13 am

Matt wrote:Hi,

You've created a GREAT product with the BMCC. Amazing is the only word to describe it.

I just wish your customer service was of the same standard.

Matt.

I am happy to send daily emails to anyone if they are prepared to pay me the difference between a RED and a BMC.....if enough people get together I can probably retire sooner rather than later.

Costa Louvieris

PostFri Nov 16, 2012 8:52 am

To be fair to BMD they HAVE been good to me in regards to complaints. I received a free rental on a Hyperdeck Studio from BMD UK due to their constant delays of the Pro version... Now that's good service IMO.

Jason R. Johnston

PostFri Nov 16, 2012 9:08 am

Unless you spent another $3700 on required proprietary peripherals, have fun with your new $4000 paperweight.
JASONRJOHNSTON.COM | CINEMATOGRAPHER | DIRECTOR | EDITOR | COLORIST
RED Komodo | DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 | 2023 MacBook M2 Pro 14

Lorenzo Straight

PostFri Nov 16, 2012 11:25 am

You'll never know. Maybe BMD put in a call for you. Congrats on getting a nice camera to shoot on.
MSI GS60 Ghost Pro-4K-605-2.7 GHz Intel Core i7-5700HQ (Broadwell)-16GB of 1600 MHz DDR3L RAM-1TB 7200 rpm HDD + 128GB M.2 SSD-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M GPU (6GB GDDR5)-15.6" UHD + 4K IPS Display-3840 x 2160
-Windows 8.1

Jesuan Soriano

PostFri Nov 16, 2012 11:41 am

But BMD sells through resellers, so it has no responsability with that. :D

I always thought BMD should have an on-line store, that would be faster, better stronger ("daft" pun-k intentended) :D

Jesus
Jesus Soriano

Christine Peterson

PostFri Nov 16, 2012 4:24 pm

Matt wrote:I emailed BM 2 weeks ago regarding my unhapiness about my retailer not refunding my deposit when I wanted to cancel my order due to delay after delay.

Hmm.. It seems unusual that we wouldn't have replied at all. What email address did you contact?

In any case, I'm very glad that you got it sorted out with your reseller. I'll look into what happened on our end.
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

jasonxinzhou

PostSat Nov 17, 2012 3:20 pm

I have sent bmd a email complaining their Chinese dealer and Christine sorted it out. So their customer is okay to me.

Michael Phillips

PostSat Nov 17, 2012 4:32 pm

I also think there's a difference between a company that cameras in stock versus one that doesn't. I think the communication on the issues with the supply chain have been pretty clear and because of these dependencies, there is only so much "new" information on a daily basis. But perhaps you don't recall the years of Scarlet being announced with a 3K for $3K marketing and seeing anything for months if not a year or more. All camera manufacturers are racing to the next best thing and relying on parts that are not under your control certainly can put a cramp in things when they don't meet the quality standards expected.

I can understand the anxiousness of such a ground breaking camera, and wanting to get it in your hands before the next great camera at a different price point comes out from either Blackmagic or someone else. And as stated, reseller service versus direct to manufacture service can be different. But when dealing with volume sales, forums and social media tend to be the best way to get the word out. I watch here as well as BMCC on facebook for news and updates when there is something to report.

Michael
Michael Phillips
Consultant
www.linkedin.com/in/phillipsm

rawCAM35

PostSat Nov 17, 2012 9:08 pm

I never had a problem with BMD support team responding to my emails, sometimes within 1/2 an hour, even responses from the president within 16 hours, so it will be interesting to find the reason regarding your case, it is no excuse

Christine Peterson

PostMon Nov 19, 2012 4:00 pm

MichaelP wrote:I watch here as well as BMCC on facebook for news and updates when there is something to report.

Be careful with Facebook... There is no official Blackmagic Facebook page yet, but there are a lot of pages run by fans and local resellers.
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

Michael Phillips

PostTue Nov 20, 2012 1:06 pm

Ah, thanks for the heads up. I guess it was a re-post from Grant and didn't check actual information provider. Damn that Internet, it all looks so official and old information stays around forever!

:D

Michael
Michael Phillips
Consultant
www.linkedin.com/in/phillipsm

Return to Cinematography