Deliver Frame Rate - Only 1 option?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Joey Stephenson

Deliver Frame Rate - Only 1 option?

PostThu Jul 31, 2014 2:36 am

I created a 29.97 fps timelinein v11b2, realized I wanted to make it 23.97 fps, so I went to project settings and changed it. I changed the clip speed to 80% to get a mild slowdown from the 29.97 fps footage. When I go to deliver, the only option is 29.97. How can I deliver at 23.97?

The footage looks very choppy when rendered and played back, Im assuming because of the delivery framerate being stuck?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Deliver Frame Rate - Only 1 option?

PostThu Jul 31, 2014 4:36 pm

The Deliver page frame rate is generally locked to the project frame rate. You can't change the project frame rate of an existing project, if there is a timeline or any clips in the Media Pool.

You would need to make a new project, and set the project frame rate to 23.976 if that's what you need to deliver. You can hopefully use ColorTrace to get the grades from the original project into the new project.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Ryan Nguyen

PostThu Jul 31, 2014 5:46 pm

I'm not sure if this is a good way about fixing this, but have you tried rendering out the entire sequence as a single clip, putting it into an NLE, and re-interpreting the frame rate from 29.97 to 23.976?

Do you have any thoughts on this, Dwaine?

Joey Stephenson

PostThu Jul 31, 2014 6:39 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:The Deliver page frame rate is generally locked to the project frame rate. You can't change the project frame rate of an existing project, if there is a timeline or any clips in the Media Pool.

You would need to make a new project, and set the project frame rate to 23.976 if that's what you need to deliver. You can hopefully use ColorTrace to get the grades from the original project into the new project.

Thank you, Ill check out the ColorTrace to see what I can do with that. There are only 4 clips, so I could also save the grade for each shot and reapply.

Also, maybe the project settings should be modified to not let the user change the frame rate once youve started a project. Its misleading to be able to change the value and not have it take effect.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jul 31, 2014 10:38 pm

You can't change the project frame rate, once there are clips in the Media Pool and/or there is a timeline.

I suspect you changed the playback frame rate?
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Joey Stephenson

PostSat Aug 02, 2014 3:47 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:You can't change the project frame rate, once there are clips in the Media Pool and/or there is a timeline.

I suspect you changed the playback frame rate?

Ahh, thats what it was! Thank you for clarifying that, I didnt realize.

Return to DaVinci Resolve