Resolve completely broken, help desperately needed

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Graham King

Resolve completely broken, help desperately needed

PostFri Aug 29, 2014 8:10 pm

I was in the middle of grading 4K raw footage from a Sony F5. Was also doing noise reduction in Neat Video OFX. Everything was going great until all of a sudden, everything stops working. Nothing will play, not a clip from the Media Pool, not a single timeline in the Edit view, not a single clip in the Color view. Pressing play (space, L, or the play button itself) does nothing: play head doesn’t move, the play icon just turns into a pause icon.

So I quit Resolve without saving thinking everything will be fine when I open it back up. Resolve hangs on quit and I have to force quit. I open the project back up and it’s the same thing, nothing plays. I quit again to troubleshoot. Resolve hangs on quit again and I force quit. I notice my scratch disk is full. I delete everything on the Resolve scratch disk, over 700k files. I open resolve again, same deal, nothing plays. As expected, thumbnails are gone, but they do not regenerate. Resolve now hangs on quit every time without fail.

My system:
2012 Mac Pro 5.1 - 12 core (2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core)
32GB Ram
OS X 10.9.4
GTX 780 6GB
Web driver: 334.01.02f02
CUDA 6.0.51
DeckLink SDI 4K
Desktop Video 10.1.4
Resolve Dongle License

All the ways I’ve tried to test & fix the problem:

• Check media on disk by importing it into Premiere. Plays back normally, media & disk is OK.

• Verify CUDA and OpenCL are working with CUDA-Z and OceanWave. Both working & benchmarking as expected.

• Set Resolve to use CUDA. Same behavior.

• Set Resolve to use OpenCL. Same behavior.

• Replace the GTX 780 6GB with a GTX 780 3GB. Nothing changed, put the 6GB back in.

• Update CUDA to 6.5.14. Disables CUDA and OpenCL on my system, Resolve won’t open. Go back to 6.0.51.

• Downgrade CUDA to 6.0.46. Disables CUDA and OpenCL on my system, Resolve won’t open. Go back to 6.0.51.

• Remove all codecs from ../Library/QuickTime. No change, put them back.

• Create a new project in Resolve, import same media. Media imports successfully and thumbnails generate and playback works! Save new project, quit Resolve (force quit), reopen new project, same broken behavior in new project: no thumbs, nothing plays.

• Downgrade to Resolve 10. Exact same behavior as Resolve 11, including hang on quit. Reinstall 11.

• Downgrade Desktop Video to 10.1.1. Same behavior, reinstall 10.1.4.

• Repair permissions. Same behavior.

This is killing me right now. As you can imagine, I am on a deadline with this important project and I have wasted nearly a full day already trying to fix this. Please let me know what ideas you have. Thank you!

DennisDillon

Re: Resolve completely broken, help desperately needed

PostFri Aug 29, 2014 9:08 pm

Graham,
Funny, this behavior just started for me as well. Sony F55, in addition Project will not save. Error box indicating so. Try to save it twice and in crashes.
Raw 2 nodes nothing heavy. Some times it freezes my OS 10.9.4
MBP 15 Late 2013
Resolve lite 11
Tried reinstalling 11. no change. The previous Beta was fine.
Ill keep stabbing at it till it gives up its bug or wait on the good graces of Peter C
Ill send my Crash LOG to Peter

DennisDillon

PostFri Aug 29, 2014 9:22 pm

Log file too big for forum.
Did second un and re install and still can not save Projects

Ok Went to my Data Base and Optimized and upgraded. Seems Ok
Last edited by DennisDillon on Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Graham King

PostFri Aug 29, 2014 9:40 pm

My project still saves and I'm not getting any error messages so doesn't sound like the same problem. But I do feel your pain!

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Aug 29, 2014 9:44 pm

I would send your logs into your regions support office so they can take note of these and pass them along to the team as well as assist you with this.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Graham King

PostFri Aug 29, 2014 9:48 pm

How do I get the log and who/where is my regional support office and how do I contact them? I'm in Oakland, CA.

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Aug 29, 2014 10:00 pm

Try this. Run capture (run Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve/CaptureLogs.app) and send the zipped log file (saved on your Desktop) to support-usa@blackmagicdesign.com.

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Graham King

PostFri Aug 29, 2014 10:22 pm

Okay will do. If anyone has any ideas in the meantime, please let me know.

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Aug 30, 2014 9:45 am

Graham King wrote:Okay will do. If anyone has any ideas in the meantime, please let me know.

Try disabling your Decklink card in Resolve Preferences, and see if that helps. If not, try using a fresh project, and see if that works.
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

DennisDillon

PostSat Aug 30, 2014 3:54 pm

Next day, I seem to have lost permission to write to cache. I have one drive in general list and have confirmed permissions in each folder in path. Still not reading path.

Update. Restarted MBPRO, stills path restored.

Graham King

PostSat Aug 30, 2014 6:07 pm

Rohit Gupta wrote:Try disabling your Decklink card in Resolve Preferences, and see if that helps. If not, try using a fresh project, and see if that works.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried disabling DeckLink and I also tried uninstalling it completely. Same behavior.

I also tried creating a new project. Here's where things get interesting. If the new project is the first one I open after starting Resolve, the new project works fine. I can also quit Resolve without it hanging.

But, if I first open the new project (which works), and then switch to the broken project (which is still broken), and then switch back to the new project, the new project exhibits the same broken behavior - nothing will play and Resolve hangs on quit and I have to force quit.

So it seems that something about the broken project is corrupting that session of Resolve. Is there a way to move all my work from the broken project to a new project? Any help is appreciated! Thank you

Graham King

PostWed Sep 03, 2014 12:38 am

No response from support so far.

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Sep 03, 2014 6:21 pm

Although Rohit has offered some guidance for your situation, we don't offer immediate help via the forums as this was set up for user interaction. You can find the contact info for your regions support office on the company page. This is the most direct way to get support as quickly as possible.

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Drew Lahat

PostThu Oct 01, 2015 7:35 am

Resolve 11.3.1.018 on OS X 10.10.5, nMP. Blackmagic Mini Monitor.

This actually happened to me multiple times today, and this thread was the only one I could find about Resolve refusing to play.

After doing import operations and other work in the Editing pane, I couldn't play anything, in any page. The play button(s) would change to "Pause" but nothing would happen. Trying to play in the Color page would cause Resolve to run like crazy through the timeline because, it appeared, it so no playable media so it kept skipping to the next clip.

Ironically I've only seen something similar in Adobe Premiere while running alongside Resolve - since Resolve takes over the Blackmagic card rather aggressively, Premiere's playback capability is paralyzed in the same aforementioned manner (disabling Transmit is one workaround). This wasn't the case though here since this is not Premiere and I never had Premiere running today.

Quitting and relaunching Resolve fixed it all - but the issue returned a few minutes later.
Concurrently, I was having many Resolve crashes. I reseated the Thunderbolt connector to the Blackmagic Mini Monitor and abandoned the notched EDL I was trying to use. After doing those 2 (very unrelated) things I didn't experience any crashes or playback issues.

Return to DaVinci Resolve