BMCC issues!

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Cuboirs

Re: BMCC issues!

PostTue Nov 20, 2012 1:28 pm

Jason R. Johnston wrote:Sha-ZAM! That's gotta hurt.

But, anyway...REALLY?!?! Do we need Bloom to come in here and defend himself now, too? Really, I don't get how you can be such a little...pain, koo-bwore, with such an unprofessional, unwarranted and real-life slappable attitude. These working pros choosing to inform and review and give back on their own valuable free time and....it's just damned disgusting the impotent lack of humility and humbleness and thankfullness you've routinely displayed. I'm really, really sick of your...you. I'd say I was disappointed had I ever been impressed by you. I'm going to see if there's a way I can block you now. And I've got a list of peeps from here I wanna foe-ify, anyway. "Makes me laugh a little less each time," indeed. Cheers. No signature for you.

Cmon now jr really you're offened tooo....lmao. PLEASE DONT BLOCK ME PLEASE....i need you in my life without you i could'nt continue any longer..

Mark de Jeu

PostTue Nov 20, 2012 2:30 pm

Christine:

Cuboirs' postings are far more poisonous and damaging to this forum than any profanity-laced personal attacks that would elicit a ban. His/her attacks and accusations not only offend the best among us, but stand as disincentives to other potential contributors who would be disinclined to deal with the incessant attacks/accusations.

Attacks will happen on the Internet, so Cuboirs will always be able to post his/her thoughts with abandon. But it would be nice if this forum were a civil place. The quality of this forum will improve when Cuboirs is no longer posting on it.

Thank you,
Mark
Mark de Jeu
Video Enthusiast

Cuboirs

PostTue Nov 20, 2012 2:51 pm

Mark de Jeu wrote:Christine:

Cuboirs' postings are far more poisonous and damaging to this forum than any profanity-laced personal attacks that would elicit a ban. His/her attacks and accusations not only offend the best among us, but stand as disincentives to other potential contributors who would be disinclined to deal with the incessant attacks/accusations.

Attacks will happen on the Internet, so Cuboirs will always be able to post his/her thoughts with abandon. But it would be nice if this forum were a civil place. The quality of this forum will improve when Cuboirs is no longer posting on it.

Thank you,
Mark

Its called an opinion ,from a person inline for a BMCC just as you are, JUST wish people would GIVE out all details on a reviewed product and not leave out important issues to their conviniances...Reviews are meant to show the good the bad and the ugly.....

Roman Medvid

PostTue Nov 20, 2012 4:02 pm

The main point of Cuboir was the fact that all reviewers happened to miss the fact that after 4 months since the announced launch date the camera still misses compatibility with some MAJOR lens of EF mount. While EF mount was chosen (to surprise of many videomakers) specifically because EF lenses were vastly common.

Now, Cuboir may have been too personal in his enquiry, but hey -- his point is valid. And it's a bit funny how some reviewers take this -- if you chose to review and steal time from your family, please don't make it as everybody should fall to their knees in reverence. It's your choice, you're doing this for some reason you have in your mind.

Cuboir, you're on slippery ice, but I think I'm there with you in this situation ) :ugeek:

Cuboirs

PostTue Nov 20, 2012 4:49 pm

R_Medvid wrote:The main point of Cuboir was the fact that all reviewers happened to miss the fact that after 4 months since the announced launch date the camera still misses compatibility with some MAJOR lens of EF mount. While EF mount was chosen (to surprise of many videomakers) specifically because EF lenses were vastly common.

Now, Cuboir may have been too personal in his enquiry, but hey -- his point is valid. And it's a bit funny how some reviewers take this -- if you chose to review and steal time from your family, please don't make it as everybody should fall to their knees in reverence. It's your choice, you're doing this for some reason you have in your mind.

Cuboir, you're on slippery ice, but I think I'm there with you in this situation ) :ugeek:

Thank you for understanding where I'm coming from as it wasn't meant to be such a big deal,why it became that idk but hey it is what it is.

I just wish I was told about all issues upfront...The good of this product still outweigh the bad in my book.

Art Roberts

PostWed Nov 21, 2012 5:19 am

It's not surprising, even Judas had his followers.
But let me sum this up with a biblical quote:

" Shall their unbelief make the faith of God of no effect?"
Rom 3.3

Marco, keep up the good works, and dont be deterred.

m.snell-callanen

PostWed Nov 21, 2012 6:28 am

@Cuboir

Wow this is quite a string of posts and comments. I guess I'll add my 2 cents.

The bottom line is, very few people really know this camera well. It's pros & cons, including compatability with certain lenses. We all knew from the beginning that BM had never made a camera before. I believe even their president or CEO said exactly that (and I'm heavily paraphrasing) "it might work out and we'll make another camera, or it might not and we'll just go back to post work."

It was probably a stupid idea to name names and call out those 4 DPs. I can't comment on Laforet because I haven't heard of him, or seen any of his reviews. But between the other three, it seemed like a fairly mixed bag. Brawley obviously did have personal connections with BM. If I was him, I'd say the same thing. It ain't a big deal because it's going to be fixed. No reason to make a fuss about it.

Blooms review of the BMCC seemed pretty close to 50/50 for me, no?? HE had an awful lot of criticisms of the camera. And if he'd run into these issues with these specific lenses, I'm pretty damn sure he would have mentioned them along with all his other criticisms. Did he not basically say "I'm sticking with my c300 or 500?" I mean seriously, I don't think Bloom even liked it enough to buy it.

Solario's stuff was the most overwhelmingly positive of them all IMO. But regardless of his opinions, his footage speaks for itself. And I'm thankful along with the rest of you that I got to see that for free.

My bet is that BM get their act together, fix these problems, and a couple months from now we're all problem solving for each other as BMCC owners, instead of bickering and pointing fingers at strangers because we're pissed that we haven't got our camera yet.

Michael Sandiford

PostWed Nov 21, 2012 7:25 am

Until the camera is shipped out properly and us lot the consumers start to use the camera on a regular basis then a lot of bugs and issues won't come to light. The aforementioned reviewers used the camera for short periods for these reviews and have mentioned problems they've found afterward, but not from their initial reviews of playing with the camera for a few days.

I reckon there's going to be a ton more that occur once the camera is actually in our hands properly, that will mostly be fixed with firmware updates. So no no need to have a go at the reviewers. These guys have supplied plenty of info. They also though are professionals who work on many different projects using many different cameras. Each chosen for that specific task. A lot of them did their reviews straight away. Then didn't touch the camera again for a while as they were working with other machines. They didn't have to do the reviews at all and instead could have spent those days earning money.

Bloom has been both criticising and positive in equal measures, and has picked up on areas he doesn't like the camera, which as he mostly does documentary work he's not finding it suitable, yet he loves the image it produces, not the workflow especially. Laforet hasn't touched upon it that much at all. John Brawley who is a regular commentator on here has been using it in a more production environment and by the looks of things has been having a great time (but his main focus is on the production feature not the camera). Marco showed us in depth what we wanted to know with regards of how it compares to working with DSLR's, which is the area that a lot of us are coming from so we can see the differences and did 2 fantastic review videos that both explained the differences and gave us a better idea of what we can expect (my 2 favourite bits being the lens comparison and depth of field test). Frank Glencairn is doing his clinical stress testing, showing us what we can expect in dynamic range and lowlight, he's using it as well now on some pro work and has matched it up with an optimo lens and I can't wait to see the results (the guy also deserves various medals from countries for doing something we've all wanted to do recently, pouring his drink and popcorn over a lout who with his group wouldn't shut up and were purposefully making noise at the cinema. The guy is now my hero).

All of this they didn't have to do. They did it from their own time. It's the equivalent for me as when you end up doing that bit extra of free work for a client. It never happens as quick as you like and the client half the time doesn't appreciate what you've done and the fact you've used your time to do it and then asks for more free work. It's ended up costing you money but the client treats it like it's some hobby you do just for the love of it.

I for one appreciate greatly every second of time they spend to sharing in this their views and opinions and has helped me out a lot in my views and decisions.

That said, if it was me, as I mentioned, earlier I'd more than willing be a complete sell out for the various companies. You hearing me Grant ;)

Cuboirs

PostWed Nov 21, 2012 1:02 pm

m.snell-callanen wrote:@Cuboir

Wow this is quite a string of posts and comments. I guess I'll add my 2 cents.

The bottom line is, very few people really know this camera well. It's pros & cons, including compatability with certain lenses. We all knew from the beginning that BM had never made a camera before. I believe even their president or CEO said exactly that (and I'm heavily paraphrasing) "it might work out and we'll make another camera, or it might not and we'll just go back to post work."

It was probably a stupid idea to name names and call out those 4 DPs. I can't comment on Laforet because I haven't heard of him, or seen any of his reviews. But between the other three, it seemed like a fairly mixed bag. Brawley obviously did have personal connections with BM. If I was him, I'd say the same thing. It ain't a big deal because it's going to be fixed. No reason to make a fuss about it.

Blooms review of the BMCC seemed pretty close to 50/50 for me, no?? HE had an awful lot of criticisms of the camera. And if he'd run into these issues with these specific lenses, I'm pretty damn sure he would have mentioned them along with all his other criticisms. Did he not basically say "I'm sticking with my c300 or 500?" I mean seriously, I don't think Bloom even liked it enough to buy it.

Solario's stuff was the most overwhelmingly positive of them all IMO. But regardless of his opinions, his footage speaks for itself. And I'm thankful along with the rest of you that I got to see that for free.

My bet is that BM get their act together, fix these problems, and a couple months from now we're all problem solving for each other as BMCC owners, instead of bickering and pointing fingers at strangers because we're pissed that we haven't got our camera yet.

Hey thanks for giving you're opinion;it wasn't really my intent to single out a certain individual as i closely follow ALL these guys honestly, nor did i mean they were all in with BMD ,but what i was saying and i stick to what i know about marketing and promo and that is there are people who are in these situations with different companies..but anyways its not a big deal hopefully one of them (maybe solorio or brawley )will give us a full list of the things that don't work with the camera ,they've had it for a fairly long time and that would be very helpful in a proper camera review. just saying

John Brawley

PostThu Nov 22, 2012 11:32 am

Cuboirs wrote:but anyways its not a big deal hopefully one of them (maybe solorio or brawley )will give us a full list of the things that don't work with the camera ,they've had it for a fairly long time and that would be very helpful in a proper camera review. just saying

The thing is, I'm not a camera "reviewer". That's not what I do. I don't do it to get readership. I'm not going to get hired by you guys interested in buying a black magic camera.

I certainly write about cinematography, some of which involves cameras, and as someone that was involved intimately in the design of a camera with some guys that are friends of mine, so of course I'm going to talk about that.

But first and foremost, I'm a working drama DP and that's my perspective. Not to *review*.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

marcs

PostFri Nov 23, 2012 11:58 pm

@ sean

specifically why dont you like the metabones adapter? ive read that is the next best adapter to novoflex in terms of build quality. im planning to use my set of zeiss glass (nikon mount) with metabones to bmd ef mount.
curious why you said that

" main reason I didn't get an FS100 (or more recently the drool inducing FS700) is the lack of EF mount. I'm not impressed/happy with the metabones adapters and since I have close to $10K invested in Canon L glass, I really didn't want to start a second lens collection.
sean[/quote]

sean mclennan

PostSat Nov 24, 2012 12:42 am

unfortunately, due to the same reason I'm worried about the BMCC now.

Compatibility issues with EF lenses.

I'll admit I haven't kept up to date with the metabones adapter since Aug...when I decided to get the BMCC...but the last time I was reading up on it, there were issues with some lenses not functioning properly. It was a hit and miss scenario...which is why I moved on.

If you're using a 100% manual lens, this wouldn't be an issue. If you want iris control, it is.

Unfortunately now, it looks like the BMCC might have similar issues with lens compatibility :\

We'll see...

Cuboirs

PostWed Nov 28, 2012 3:08 pm

Anyone know if they've corrected this issue or if its even being worked on yet?

Dennis Nomer

PostThu Nov 29, 2012 10:15 am

I wish to weigh in on the merits here. I feel that people who have given so largely of their time and skills should have their love requited. John Brawley, you are the real thing. You have given freely to us all a very great deal, not only in your collaboration with BMD to help shape and encourage this break-through camera, but in your numerous posts providing content for us to appraise and clarifying a number of significant issues. Marco Solorio, you are similarly a great contributor, enriching us all with your careful work and marvelous posts. Rest assured that there are quite a few of us who can recognize how much skill and work is required to post the kind of work that you guys have posted.

Cuboirs, you get to take some heat for pretending that others have motives that you prefer.

It is fine to expose shortcomings, but false attribution and pretense are just lies.

My favorite forums are those in which posters carefully consider if they might make a contribution, and then carefully craft a solid, constructive, helpful, honest post.

dn
Dennis Nomer
Previous

Return to Cinematography