Compatibility with Zeiss ZE Primes (and comments)

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

rtouss

Compatibility with Zeiss ZE Primes (and comments)

PostTue Nov 20, 2012 7:07 pm

Hello Everyone,

First I'd like to say, I've been reading hundreds and hundreds of comments regarding BMD since the genesis of this forum. I'd like to the time to vouch for BMD (**BMD haters throw stones and boo**)

Despite their shortcomings this company has literally given the indie film community a gift. Take it, or leave it. The specs aren't up for discussion. At the end of the day, companies are run by human beings and human beings aren't perfect. For what this camera does relative to it's price; is absolutely revolutionary. Now, with that said, I can appreciate that place in anyone's hearts that harbors anger for not getting the camera they paid for months ago. I myself have had to push an important shoot 4 months now because we WANT to shoot with this format, (keyword: want...not need) so I understand. I do. Til this day, I don't have the camera I ordered. However, I'd like to think that my patience and understanding has been rewarded because a gentleman who has the camera in the US has offered to let us rent his until we get ours.

So simply put; to those who are having heart attacks: C A L M D O W N. If you can't wait. Shoot with something else. At the end of the day, it's not the camera, its the cameraman, most importantly, its about story. No camera in the world can save a bad story.

Now, hopefully I haven't alienated those that can assist me.

I am shooting with the BMCC in about 15 short days, and I have not been able to do ANY test. I've heard so much information about the IRIS issues, and I prefer Zeiss ZE primes to Canon L series. really. But Can anyone comment about the compability between Zeiss Ze's and the BMC? This is super important and hoping that ANYONE could help!

Thank you in advance for your help and I appreciate this community of filmmakers and enthusiasts. You all have helped me become a better storyteller behind the camera!

-Ron

Sean

Re: Compatibility with Zeiss ZE Primes (and comments)

PostTue Nov 20, 2012 9:10 pm

I may be mistaken, but isn't this a completely manual lens set? If so, then you should be totally fine.
I have no experience in the matter though, as I don't have that set of primes or the actual body available.
Sean Scannell
Ordered EF mount from B&H on 08/19/12. Received on 04/12/13.

rtouss

PostTue Nov 20, 2012 10:23 pm

The Zeiss Ze's EF mount are manual focus. They do not have manual aperture. I could be mistaken though as I haven't shot with them before. I've shot with the CP.2s.

rtouss

PostTue Nov 20, 2012 10:24 pm

Actually the Nikon Mounts do have a manual aperture ring, just not the EF

João Gomes

PostTue Nov 20, 2012 11:21 pm

I just bought today a Zeiss 25mm f2 with the Nikon mount just so i could use it later when i get my BMCC.
For now i'll de-click de aperture ring and use it on my 7D with the Novoflex adapter.
Cameraman/Editor

jasonxinzhou

PostWed Nov 21, 2012 12:47 am

João Gomes wrote:I just bought today a Zeiss 25mm f2 with the Nikon mount just so i could use it later when i get my BMCC.
For now i'll de-click de aperture ring and use it on my 7D with the Novoflex adapter.

What about the reversed focus ring?

muratcangokce

PostWed Nov 21, 2012 12:53 am

João Gomes wrote:I just bought today a Zeiss 25mm f2 with the Nikon mount just so i could use it later when i get my BMCC.

how could you de-click the aperture ring? if it is possible I really could do same thing to my non cine samyang's..
www.muratcan.film

Marcel Beck

PostWed Nov 21, 2012 9:05 am

muratcangokce wrote:

how could you de-click the aperture ring? if it is possible I really could do same thing to my non cine samyang's..

Duclos Lenses do a de-click mod
Marcel Beck
Cinematographer & Producer
follow me: @mxbstudios

adamroberts

PostWed Nov 21, 2012 10:46 am

muratcangokce wrote:how could you de-click the aperture ring?

In the UK True Lens Service do Cine Mods (De-click, Focus Gear, Front Ring)
http://www.lensrepair.co.uk/

Just had 2 Zeiss ZF.2 lenses done. Good fast service.

I de-clicked 2 of my older Nikon lenses myself. They are pretty simple.

adamroberts

PostWed Nov 21, 2012 10:49 am

jasonxinzhou wrote:What about the reversed focus ring?

What about it??

:-)

Many people use Nikon and Nikon mount Zeiss Primes for Cine work. You can train you brain to focus the other way.

If it's a really headache for you then you can get a reversing gear for your follow focus (or get a follow focus that has a reversible gearbox). Duclos does a reversing gear: http://www.ducloslenses.com/collections ... rsing-gear

adamroberts

PostWed Nov 21, 2012 10:54 am

João Gomes wrote:I just bought today a Zeiss 25mm f2

That one is on my shopping list. :-)
I looked at the 2.8 version but it's horridly soft for a Zeiss lenses.

If you are only using the lens on EF mount cameras you might wanna check out the X-Circle: http://www.lockcircle.com/xcircle/

João Gomes

PostWed Nov 21, 2012 12:53 pm

Regarding the de clicking issue, my local shop does that for 20€.
The reverse focus thing is a real issue for me. I work in broadcast tv for 10 years and am very user to de focus direction of the Canon lenses. That's why i bought a follow focus with a reversible gear. I'm happy!

The Zeiss 25mm F:2 is simply AMAZING!
Cameraman/Editor

marcs

PostWed Nov 21, 2012 9:15 pm

just an fyi, but a friend who tested the bmcc ef mount with novoflex said he really didn't like the aperture ring on the adapter. he said the fotodiox nikon-to-eos mount worked better, though it was a bit harder to tighten down (very small screw adjustment required). i think novoflex are built very well but many who use nikon glass don't like the built in aperture ring. my 2 cents.

João Gomes

PostWed Nov 21, 2012 10:59 pm

Yes but my Novoflex doesn´t have aperture ring. I know the one you´re talking about. I held both of them in my hand and chose the one without the aperture ring because it´s a lot more solid and well built. I still use the aperture ring of the lens.
Cameraman/Editor

Michael Beck

PostThu Nov 22, 2012 2:21 am

I have used two ZE primes (the 35mm f/1.4 and the 35mm f/2) and they both worked fine on the BMC.
------------
-Michael Beck

rtouss

PostThu Nov 22, 2012 5:24 am

Lol! Hey Michael. Didn't know you used the ZE's

Michael Beck

PostThu Nov 22, 2012 6:48 am

rtouss wrote:Lol! Hey Michael. Didn't know you used the ZE's

Yeah, I rented them for two different shoots. :)
------------
-Michael Beck

Nord Produktion

PostThu Nov 22, 2012 6:00 pm

muratcangokce wrote:

I de-clicked my Samyang (14 & 35 mm) myself. It took 5 minutes each. Google "declick Samyang 35mm" and you'll find some more info.
Markus Nord | nordproduktion.se | vimeo.com/nordproduktion

João Gomes

PostThu Nov 22, 2012 7:29 pm

Thanks!

I´ll look it up!
Cameraman/Editor

Return to Cinematography